• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Roundabout

I think they are a waste of money and time a simple stop sign does good and stop lights are better lights and signs have been around for a long time. These things are new so statistics are very inacurate. But more importantly who cares I don't think they will ever be on the lake so relax and fish

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• B@ssDoctor

• lots of luck

• eyepatrol

They work great, no one ever has to sit and wait and the high speed crossing intersection is eliminated. Bottom line is they save lives!

i think taht the round abouts r a waste and r not for minnesota roads especially on major roads...i accually have to use the one on hwy 15 and it is a joke..should just have stop lights so u can just go not wait for stupid ppl that dont kno how to use the round about plus have to slow way down just to make it around it...

This is the problem they are new and people are not driving them correctly. No one is signaling their intentions. The whole point of the round about is about reducing speed at intersections. Sorry that your time is more important than reducing personal injury crashes.

People could not correctly drive stop lights and stop signs before. Hwy 7 and 25 and 7 and 10, it still amazes me that more people were not killed. Saw more risk taking at those intersections. Many times I witnessed the "I can't see around this truck, therefore it must be clear scenarios." People would turn right out in front of people.

I have a former co-worker that was killed this summer on his motorcycle. Assistant city engineer for city of Lakeville. It was a similar intersection, he had the right of way at a high speed and the cross traffic has to stop. Guy pulls out and accidently kills motorcycle rider. This intersection has had many of these type of accidents and was studied on accident reduction measures and one of those options was a roundabout. I think that intersection will be put on the fast track now.

I cannot see a legitimate argument against roundabouts, other than cost. People are afraid of change, do some research and educate yourselves on roundabouts. There are a lot of misconceptions and naysayers that are simply afraid of something different.

I thought you were talking about U.S. drivers

Your point? United States Department of Transportation has studies on many variations of the roundabout and gain data from all over the world. Like with everything they do. Does it matter what they modeled and where they modeled it, of course? Luckily they studied and examined design from around the world. Do you think these were the first ever built? MnDOT is a leader among DOT's in the country, especially in pavment design due to our extreme climate.

Why wouldn't simple acceleration lanes be a possible solution at these intersections? I do not believe slowing down the main artery with a roundabout is the correct solution. The amount of cross traffic is probably minimal. If the cross-traffic volume is that high then an overpass should be in order.

Besides the little one on 15 or the one on 5th Ave, does anyone complaining on this website navigate 7 on a daily basis? I assume not since if you did, you would know why they put these lifesavers in. They didn't make the "pray for me, I drive HWY 7" for no reason. Do I agree that they are 2 small- Yes! Am I afraid of 25 or 10 anymore - No. Should they have put one by Shadowbrooke - Sure!

Alot of people don't like change and that is one of the main reasons for all the negative remarks, the other stickler is there are plenty of poeple who don't know how to use them and then there are always the stupid ones.....

counterclockwise and yield to someone in the roundabout...how hard is it? if you don't like them, then drive 12 or 212. i have been through the one at 7 & 25 and have no complaints.

Scout II, good question, I am guessing the overpass is a cost issue. Bridging material, import of material to build up the ramp approaches and possibly more right of way required. I am sure that info is somewhere for us to view. Good question though.

Roundabout is fine for cars. But TRUCKS are what gets the job done.

Do you drive a truck? Have you seen how much fun it is to navigate a roundabout with a truck?

The problem I have with the roundabouts is the highways they put them on. The roads they put them on are MAJOR commerce routes.

Trucks make it through just fine. The inside "sidewalk" is designed to be driven over. If our long lowboys can make it through, a normal truck will breeze through. Not going to say it doesn't challenge a driver somewhat but the the ONLY alternative to avoid t-bone type collisions is a very expensive overpass.

I could have swore that trucks can make a 90° turn at intersections. I wouldn't think a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 circle would be that difficult.

Turning Radius

If your road has tight corners use these steps to help determine if we can access your site with a standard truck.

Step 1 - Determine angle of the corners and road width requirements.

(see diagram and chart).

If the angle falls between two of the angles listed, use the larger angle.

Step 2 - Measure road width.

If your road width is equal to or greater than the width listed on the chart, the truck will be able to reach your site.

If your road width is less than the dimension listed on the chart please call the Logistics Coordinator at 800-696-5766 for special arrangements.

This information was developed through the CalTrans Design Manual. If there is any doubt please call CXT for assistance.

Turning Radius Chart

Maximum Angle Minimum Road Width

Minimum Road Width Requirments

30° 16' 6"

60° 24' 6

90° 27' 0

120° 27' 0"

150° 35' 0"

180° 33' 0

Sorry I joined the party late but I am in a position that can add a little light to design of roadways and live in Mayer and drive this route often. Get tired of reading rumors and untruths.

I cant believe theres this much talk about a stinkin roundabout lol

I thought us people fished.

Go ahead and fish people. The title of this thread is about the roundabout, not fishing. If you don't like talking about it, then why are you even reading this post? Makes no sense to me.

I still have to wait just as often as I did when there was a stop sign. I'm still afraid I'm going to get clipped going around it as there are a lot of people who don't even slow down while coming into it. I think a lot of people think that it's "every other car" like when you try to get onto 35W from 494. The problem is that it was installed on a major highway. Only the people in town will get used to it. But when there's people from all over the state and truckers from all over the country traveling through there, yes, there's going to be problems. I noticed recently, somebody flew right through the intersection, jumped the curb and ended up at the Outpost. You can see their wheel tracks in the snow. Yeah, sure, we'll get used to it, it's the out-of-towners that it'll take a little getting used to. I'm just glad that there's nobody illegally passing me on the right hand side like there was before. That's the only improvement I see that the roundabout has made.

Now get out there and fish! The early bite has been on for a couple of weeks now!

this is a fishing website...

apparently you don't see the other forums like automotive, atv's, for sale, store sales, biking, camping................ and so on and on and on. If you want to talk fishing, go to the fishing forums!!! no disrespect, but just had to throw it out there!

Yeah your right might as well just keep talking aobut a round about that isnt gunna make any difference. I suppose someone has to catch the fish since most people just arent focused on it anymore. Ill keep the reports coming on fishing that is

DOT requires a 6 month warning signage at intersections with control changes, such as stop signs. At Belle Plaine the state put in a 3/4 intersection, intersection of Highway 169 and County road 3. They did not want people crossing 169 after an interchange was put in about a mile to the East.

Drivers were jumping the curb and crossing 169 as they had prior to the change. Next the state put up 4' tall orange plastic posts, guess we will see how long before those get knocked down.

I agree that a bit more warning that a big change such as these roundabouts should be in place. I have seen vehicle tracks on a roundabout East of New Prauge on Highway 13 south. One of the first roundabouts. Vehicle drove STRAIGHT through as if it wasn't even there. At what SPEED I will never know.

I think it is still possible to get T-BONE while you are in a roundabout. And the vehicle that hits you probably will be traveling at a pretty good clip.

I guess they are real safe for the three semis that have rolled over on the new ones on seven, or for the 12 cows that died. And yes, there have been a few injury accidents already.

If people cant successfully navigate a stop sign, and crossing the road they dont belong on the road.

Time to quit legislating stupid all the time. If they were put at 10 and 25 on highway seven, then they should have been put on CR 1 and 9, and on 33 by the ranch house.

And its real fun to get stuck behind a semi going east into boni. You cant pass them until 41 then.

I guess they are real safe for the three semis that have rolled over on the new ones on seven, or for the 12 cows that died. And yes, there have been a few injury accidents already.

If people cant successfully navigate a stop sign, and crossing the road they dont belong on the road.

Time to quit legislating stupid all the time. If they were put at 10 and 25 on highway seven, then they should have been put on CR 1 and 9, and on 33 by the ranch house.

And its real fun to get stuck behind a semi going east into boni. You cant pass them until 41 then.

The cattle truck I think you're going to find out about a sleepy driver at 12:20 in a.m., just a hunch. How come the "professional" drivers are struggling?

This isn't stupid, this is about safety. Safety is calculated with traffic counts and turning movements, no need to design a roundabout for every intersection.

Stuck behind a semi? They added passing lanes. I think I can remember following semis before roundabouts also. How has that changed.

Of course we are still going to have accidents, but the types and degree of severity will change. You can't fix stupid.

I will agree that people are entering them at a pretty good clip. The signage could be a little further from the roundabout itself, considering the reduction in speeds from 55,60,65 to 20 or yield? People are also not signaling their intentions to leave the roundabout.

First time I ever entered one I imagined myself as an 18 year old in the snow proceeding to drift the car round and around the roundabout in the old Delta 88.

People are also not signaling their intentions to leave the roundabout.

I keep reading/hearing this comment and I have to chuckle. You're turning left around a roundabout and you cannot signal to the right without holding the turn signal lever up. Doing this can also break the mechanism inside the steering column as well. Not to mention you have to take one hand off the wheel to do this because the turn signal will not stay on because the wheel is turned in the opposite direction, and people navigating through these things definitely don't need to be worrying about if their signal is on as they have enough to be looking out for anyway.

The only time you could signal is when the steering wheel is turned to the right just as you exit the roundabout. By this time it's meaningless to signal.

I saw a truck that rolled on the corner of a County Road and a State Highway by my house. Does that mean that the intersection is unsafe or does it mean maybe the guy needs to slow down around the corner?

Also, if people want to talk about fishing then do it. This forum will go weeks with not more than a few posts. The only time the activity picks up is around opener and when ice fishing starts. Obviously people feel this is a good topic by the 80 some replies to it.