• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Please give opinion for Vermillion

Hello all,

I am going to Elephant lake 8-28. I have been going up there for 4 years on labor day weekend and have had a tough time boating walleye's. I am considering taking a day trip over to Vermillion for walleye... but I have never been on that lake before. I do have good electronics, and have done a lot of walleye fishing, but know nothing about that lake. I have 6 guys coming in from around the country for only 4 days, and dont want to waste a whole day. In your opinions, would I be able to have a productive day? I have fished many nothern sheild lakes like Kab and Crane, and it usually takes a day figure things out.

Any thought's/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Basseye

Best advice I can give is to hire a guide the 1st day. He will not only put you on to fish but will give you information to help you locate fish the rest of the time you are out there.

You will find a beautiful lake that has good walleye fishing especially with proper electronics and understanding of structure....my experience (one off the dock...but more tubing than anything) last weekend with three young kids has been tough, but a lot of my friends claim to be doing well (reefs in bays) with the exception of one. We are looking forward to a long next weekend, and hopefully its picked up.

Elephant is a nice lake but if you are interested in coming up and consistantly catching walleyes, then vermilion (especially that time of year) is by far your better bet.

Its fairly easy to catch fish on vermilion compared to lakes like Crane and Kab.

Hey sledneck,

Thanks for your involvment with this website, You seem to always reply to postings.

If I went to V, do I need to go all the way around to Tower, or where should I put in since I am coming from Orr?

Any word on how the walleye bite has been on V in the last couple weeks.

Is there any other lake that you might suggest for a day trip for walleye?

Thanks,

Basseye

You can drive to the Fraizer bay landing...its like 10 minutes from Cook. You can also land at moccasin point.

Ive been doing excellent for walleyes at Rainy Lake for the last 3 weekends in a row.

If I put in on that end of the lake, has the fishing been good recently? Any spots on that end that you know of that have been producing eye's?

Reefs on big bay have been producing fish now. In september and beyond I like to fish shorelines...deeper in the day and shallower at night. Fall is my favorite time to fish walleyes on Vermilion.

You can take the backroads from Elbow to Vermillion dam in a heartbeat. Ed at the Dam can hook you up with a guide and has a fair landing. I have had good walleye fishing trolling bottom bouncers on the weedline on the north east end of the lake. Fish the windblown shore during the day and longline Rapalas at dusk. The reefs on Niles bay can be productive too.

If you put in through Cook, Hibbing point and the reef off of it are always worth a try. The landing by Life of Riley is close to good weedline fishing as well.

If your willing to treck a little Ban lake north of Elbow can kick out bass and crappies like crazy if your willing to paddle

Good luck, Hans

The Frazer Bay landing would be a good choice. The walleye bite in that area has been very good this week.

Cliff