• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spinners vs. Plain

love2fish4ever

When we were fishing ML last week I seemed to notice that spinner rigs w/leech did better than plain rigs, & also seemed to bring bigger ones. Has anyone else notice this or is it coincidence? We were fising the Vineland area 14' near vegitation. Had a nice mix of fish, 6 eaters & 5 from 23"-26" L2f

As we get later into the season, and the water warms up you will notice that spinners will outproduce plain snells.

later in the day on a warm day and later in the year spinners will out produce plain hooks and leeches as weell as produce some bigger fish

When pulling blades with bottom bouncers on Mille Lacs what seems to be a good snell length?

Pat,

Thanks for the reply. If I'm looking for eater fish right now is that my best bet fishing out of the Isle area?

I have found that snell length really depends on the situation, earlier in the year, I like a long, plain snell (6' - 7'); this is done with a slower troll. As the water warms up, I will shorten the snell to about 4' and use a little larger weight and increase my trolling speed. This is done because fish are generally deeper and I like to pound the bottom to entice fish to bite. As others have mentioned, spinners tend to work better as the summer goes on as well. The nice thing about making your own is the ability to quickly mix and match combinations of length, colors, and floats to find the correct combination.

I was referring to the length of snells I use for spinners. If I'm running a snell with a plain hook/beed, my snells are anywhere from 7-10 ft.

7ft just seems to be as good length for me with spinners.