• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Father Hennepin State Park

PRCME9

Thinking about camping at Father Hennepin State Park this weekend. Can anyone tell me about the boat ramp there, and any tips on some smallmouth areas to hit on the south end?. Have always fished the north end. Any help would be appreciated!

Its been a couple of years since I have launched there but I do remember it as being deeeeeluxe!. I think there was 2 ramps side by side.

I cant help you with the smallies but there are rocks all along the south shore in that area. I would think it would hold them.

Father Hennipin is a great place to stay. They have two launching areas. One is in by the campsites and the other down by the beach area. The smallies will be out on the rock piles along the south end. Fish shallow and pitch tube jigs on the rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you leave the boat in the water somewhere overnight? I'd like to check it out, but it is kind of a pain to load and unload with a 26' class c RV.

Are there sites right on the water?

Thanks.

Took the family to Father Hennepin for the first time. I was very impressed. We did not bring the boat because with a 2 year old we just didn't know how the launch was so we thought we'd just camp.

There are 2 launches, one for just campers of the park, and the other open to the public. The one for the campers does have 3 docks. One looked to be off to the side and a boat was tied up there. Not sure if they left it out overnight or if they just tied it up there during the day. You may want to call the park to see what their guidelines are pertaining to that.

Caught a lot of smallies last year this time fishing 6ft of water of rock reefs just about any where. Using 6 inch power worms on a jig. Fun day.

Hayword....I forgot to mention, there are about 7 sites available about 50 feet from the lake. They have 2 campgrounds, Maple Grove (wooded) or Lakeside (more open). Lakeside has about 50 or so sites but only about 7 are lakeside. If I were you I would try to get either 1-3 lakeside. But the other 4 are ok too. 1-3 had more grass while the others were beat down with more dirt showing.

Those lakeside lots are non electric, and also i believe that the maple grove camp sites are also non electric.

The Lake View campground has 21 Non electric sites and 41 electric sites.

Maple grove is all non electric and has 41 sites and they are more wooded.

Can you leave the boat in the water somewhere overnight?

That would be a no. Get ready to wait in line to launch and load each day.

This would be a great campground if they had docks for overnight. The trouble is with this lake if the wind comes into the shore hard, it's like the ocean. It could wreck a boat tied up to a dock unless there were some sort of harbor.

Now that would be a great upgrade!

Quote:
The trouble is with this lake if the wind comes into the shore hard, it's like the ocean. It could wreck a boat tied up to a dock unless there were some sort of harbor.

You do not need a harbor my friend, bows out, bows out! grin

Unfortunately, Father Hennepin does not have a working mooring dock for people to use, that I know of.

I believe I have seen people beach there point on the point east of the beach in the past. Thats only if you trust it staying there overnight and the conditions are right. FYI, I have never had trouble with waiting in line at the public access even when camping. I do camp there more during the week though. Otherwise I love the campground.