• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi all, me and my family where on a lake yesterday and I'm wondering if it is just me or does it seem like boating etiquette is not what is use to be? We where trolling and it just seemed like people would get so close to our boat and not always to fish but just going fast and I was always taught you give people room... It was a good size lake and I would look at all the open water and we actually got worried when one of the boats was coming right at us at a high speed and then turned about 20 feet in front of us going at a good clip... decided it was time to go.

Manners are going away fast. Look at customer service, how teens act, etc. The only thing I can do is shake my head. My kids will learn to respect people and the propper way to act on water and other places. Sorry you had a bad experience. One reason I hit water early morning or go to a smaller lake.

s'god, what you described was actually not only inconsiderate and stupid, it was a violation. There are actually alot of boaters (and I use that term losely) who dont have a clue what the laws and rules of the road are. And then there are those who really dont care.

If you had a phone with you, you can call 911 and get a hold of the sheriff. It really helps if you can get their numbers or at leat a partial and a decription of the boat. They are endangering people and really need a healthy ticket.

If the sheriff has a boat on the water, they will take your call seriously. The game warden can bust 'em too. Dont be shy....call. You would be doing everyone a great favor.

there's similar thread in the South Central forum about a kid with several girls in the boat showing off and doing what was described above.

No matter where you're at, you're not alone. This happens all over the state.

there's similar thread in the South Central forum about a kid with several girls in the boat showing off and doing what was described above.

No matter where you're at, you're not alone. This happens all over the state.

I understand completly.. i hate when recreational boaters are zipping all around (seriously)... but in regards to the south central forum about the kid with several girls in the boat???... i mean, how hot were those girls... sometimes a little showing off goes a long way, you know? There are very few things better than fishing, and a boat full of girls just may be the beginning to one of those things...

i mean, i make very few exceptions to rude boating, but sometimes we should just let things slide...

That sounds like a pretty irresponsible attitude. Showing off like that can go a long way towards getting someone killed. Having partial to no control over a 2000 lb piece of machinery with 100+ horsepower strapped to it just plain stupid! Theres no other word for it.

there is a difference between boating out of control and just boating to close..........boating too close I happen to see alot and just don't have the time to call everytime I am buzzed by another boater while fishing......an out of control boater will get a call on them from me cause I don't want to help with the damages and rescue later in the day...........both of these situations have no place on the water but happen everyday!!

Sounds like you were on the lake I live on!! It happens all the time!The law is I believe 150 ft clearance,but at times even skiers come within 20-30 ft of me while I'm fishin,I look and the whole lake seems empty but their buzzin me??

I was on a lake in Hugo... moved there recently and trying to get to know the lakes. Thanks for all the responses.

Some people should not drive a boat or car in my book,I would guess these knuckleheads are the same people who cut you off on the freeway off ramp as well!

Its just people in general now days if you ask me.. has nothing to do with boat or whatever... Used to be when people had a problem, others helped.. now they just watch you deal with it yourself.. In the past 2 weeks I have towed a couple of boats back to the landing.. each had said that no less than 20 boats just passed and never even looked at them waving their arms..

Heck.. I got passed on HWY 8 the other day.. person passed me on the shoulder. Only to get one car farther up the road....

I myself dont get it.. people these days are just flat our rude...

What bothers me are some pontooners intentionally going between you and the shoreline no matter how shallow they need to go. I've had pontooners slow down waiting for the right opportunity to go past me instead of going around me. They clearly see where I am casting, but they seem to have no regard. I've had some drive close enough to a dock where someone could have jumped into the boat.

Yeah that one gets me too!! Why with all the lake open does a boat need to go between you and shore when you are fishing the edge of a weedline or within 100yds from shore?? This happens often on a lake I fish and I just never understood why they have to drive right through the weeds............

Some pople are crazy others don't like people fishing "thier spot", or "their lake". So they buzz you or your spot to mess up the fishing.

makes sense to me not right but it eplains alot.....the sad thing the lake I fish on I catch alot for numbers but nothing for size so if your theory is right they are trying to protect nothing!! I don't even really keep many fish if any at all out of this body of water.........

I was fishing with an old friend of mine a few years back and he had zero tolerance for "playboys" as he called them. He had his pool que with the winch on it tied with the biggest daredevil in the box. Some moron was screwing with us that day and he picked that thing up and whipped it at their rig. Sure as heck he nailed that thing directly amidships. After a few one finger salutes and a some colorful verbiage, they beat it and didnt come back. I still draw great solice from that experience.

Sometimes there is justice in this world. I will qualify this post with my favorite Max-X quote..."dont try this at home"

Speaking of morons....Gosh I miss that show!!!