• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sign at SYLVIA access

No I dont have a lead core set up but I've improvised with a 1-1/2 to 3 oz bottom bouncer with a 6' to 8' tag and ssr's . crude but has boated some pig eyes..

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• noodlerod

• bassNspear

• mike morris

• fishgutz77

I am for having a slot limit fro bass on this lake. the reason i say it is becuase that lake can produce some awesome fish out there. Just think if we had a slot limit, and the fish had 5-8 years to grow, there is going to be monster fish on the lake.

If you look at a typical survey done by the DNR you'll find that the bass is very elussive and that the nets and traps do not acurately reflect the bass population, this is one fish that can and does avoid the nets and traps so the counts are allways low.

That's not to say we should'nt do somthing to protect the fish it's just---- is that the motive?

Or is it to discourage the use of the lake by parties that are percieved to damage the resource?

And who's perception of the lake is valid?

My personal perspective is that the power boats and pleasure craft are doing more harm to the lake and shore than open water fisherman or ice fisherman. but that's perspective.

It's everyones lake, not just the people that live on the lake or have property on the lake I can speake to this because I own 400+ ft of lake shore and deal with this all the time.

But I don't bring up speed limits and horsepower restrictions and PWC noise because I understand personal preferance.

So why should we let someone or somebody (agency} restrict the lakes resource as long as we obey all the laws already in place?

Why now? What changed? Everyones tax dollars paid for the access up grade didn't they. Are we going to manage use or resource? I hope that some of this get's answered at the forum.

As a sportsman I have a socical/ecological responsiblity to take care of any lake or resource and not just obey the current regs.

sorry for the long rant but this is important stuff.

fishgutz,

You are correct, our summer gill net and trap net surveys do not target LMB they target walleye and northern pike (in gill nets) and crappie and bluegill (in trap nets). Therefore, we electrofish at night usually in mid to late May to target LMB. We shock at night so the fish aren't as spooked by our boat as well as they move shallow to feed in the evening. This year the average size was 10.9 inches and I believe that we only had 4 or 5 fish over 14 inches.

Some will say that we were mis-timed in our survey, however this year was not typical with normal water temperatures being a couple of weeks later than usual. I've spoken to a few angler's that have said that there are piles of 3 - 5 lb fish in these lakes, but if that is the case I would have expected to see some bigger fish in our electrofishing survey (we did on other lakes). This year's sampling was very similar to the previous electrofishing survey I believe in 2002 (I will have to check when I get to the office tomorrow).

Hopefully, in the next few days I will have some additional information added to the Montrose Area Website describing the criteria that we use when deciding whether or not to put a special regulation on a lake. Hopefully, that will clear up a few misconceptions namely that these proposed regulations are not science based.

War Eagle!!!

Joe

Thanks for the great info Wareagle, those elusive bass in sylvia are deep and are night feeders due to clear water. I can imagine how tough sampling can be on this lake as adult fish acustomed to presure will move off fast. Wtih deep weed growth 22-24 ft the O2 and food are out there and beds tend to be deep in spots as well. Keep us posted with the findings and good luck, what ever is decieded after the forum.

Wareagle will you be at the meeting sept 13 ????? and do you work for the dnr ?

Noodlerod,

I do work for fisheries in Montrose, but probably will not be at the meeting unless my supervisor Paul Diedrich wants another body there.

Fishgutz - I will do my best to keep everyone posted. We've conducted population assessments on both East and West Sylvia this summer and I have posted some quick results to our area website at the following link - http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/montrose/lakesurveys.html

The full report will be written this winter after all the data is processed, but I do have a preliminary summary available if anyone is interested.

I encourage everyone to attend the meeting whether you are for or against the regulations so that your voice is heard.

War Eagle!!!

Joe

thanks for that chart.

When you look at the lake when it comes to bass, the average lenght is 10.8. Can you imagine if they can get it up to the 14-15 mark. That would be a awesome fishery IMO.

That would be an awesome fishery anywhere if you averaged 14-15 inch bass.

you got that right. I always come back to think of what happened to waconia. It would be like that out there. Where you can go out there on any day and get 3-4lb like nothing.

thanks for that chart.

When you look at the lake when it comes to bass, the average lenght is 10.8. Can you imagine if they can get it up to the 14-15 mark. That would be a awesome fishery IMO.

That would indeed be awesome.. But can you imagine how many more people will travel to Sylvia to fish it then? The population of fishermen would skyrocket, and I know that's not what these associations want.

but you know what, i understand that the assocation doesnt want to have all these people on the lake. But the bottom line it, its a amazing lake, and people should get out there and enjoy it.

Its not about the people fishing in this lake, go out on a saturday afternoon, when the weather is nice. There is maybe, maybe 5 boats out fishing, but 1,422,545,984 boats out tubing and sking.

laugh holy cow BNS thats alot of boats , I'm glad I stay home on the weekends !!! LOL ...

mike you know as well as i do how hard of a lake sylvia is to give up fish , so IMO I dont think that would be the problem. we should hoke up sometime before this meeting just to get an Idea of each others opinion. I'd be willing to bet there pretty close...

We'll have to do that. just come over some day and take a seat in the green chair grin

I just got done reading the Preliminary report ( rough draft ) of east & west SYLVIA from late july from the DNR fisheries montrose . and from my observation and I could be wrong but looks like the only new reg needed is a protected slot on bass. but I'm not the expert so we'll have to see what the meeting brings.

P.S. thankx War Eagle I owe you some postage !!!!

i would agree. I think it would help the lake to get a slot on the bass population.

Just wanted to remind everyone who can make it the meeting about proposed new regs on SYLVIA will be in 2 weeks , sept 13 11:00-1:00pm southside town hall . hope to see ya there !!!

turns out I have a company event on the 13th so I will be in town and plan to attend the meeting. for sure we will have to hook up and plan some sort of outing on the water. keep up the great work guys.