• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sign at SYLVIA access

Has anyone noticed the sign at the WEST SYLVIA access about the meeting this fall regarding proposed length and limit restrictions ? If so , any comments ?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• noodlerod

• bassNspear

• mike morris

• fishgutz77

No? I've seen the sign, guess I missed the other stuff?

I totally agree with slots & restrictions , without them there are going to be no fish left with some of the hogs out there, sorry I mean fish'n pressure. on the sign it does not say when the meeting is or who is behind it ( GLSA or DNR ) all it says is fall of 2008 , just curios as I would like to attend this meeting to be honest if I knew where and when I would not miss it for anything..

I was out on sylvia today and noticed the sign for the first time. They want to put a slot limit on northern, walleye and bass. I should of wrote it all down because I don't remember the specifics, but they also want to put a 5 fish limit on sunnies and crappies. Personally, I have no problems with the slots on bass, northern and walleye, but i'm not so sure they need a 5 fish limit on sunnies and crappies, especially sunfish. I've fished the lake for about the last 10 years and there seems to be a pretty healthy population of sunfish out there, with some very nice sized ones, so i'm guessing there is pretty successful reproduction going on out there. I don't know, what does everyone else think about this. Do you think all this is called for?

like I said before and I'm sure I'll say it again. I have no problem with slots and some restrictions . the slots they want on sylvia seem fair I guess for game fish I guess I'd have to see the DNR reports from sylvia for the last ten years to better guess . but 5 crappies and 5 sunfish from 10 and 20 , come on thats a little extreem dont ya think ? I'd much rather see the spawning bed bays closed inthe spring like they used to do years ago . and if thats a man power issue I'd vollentier to do it the next 30 yrs with my own boat and gas as long as they supplied the bouys ie. markers. 5 sunfish from 20 where did they come up with the numbers . they being the GLSA or the DNR which I dont know yet but I'm working on that.

I think we all know how this probably got started, and its not surprising, but lets not get started on that. Hopefully this is only in the very early stages and open it up to public debate.

Looks to me like the DNR is proposing the same special regulations/limits that are on Mink, Somers and Crawford lakes,which as most of you that visit this forum regularly already know, are in Wright County. If someone gets the proposed limits off of the sign, post it here. Post up your comments on these proposed regulation changes in this thread, but keep it civil, and within forum policy.Thanks.

I would be all for this lake to get a slot limit on it. And the reason that i would like to see it is becuase there is a ton of bass in this lake, and if you close it to a slot limit, the fishing in this lake would be Crazy if they would shut it off for 3-4 years, or have a slot limit. Its only going to help the lake get better IMO!!

Often times lake associations that would like to ban tournaments will propose slot limits on bass. If anglers can't keep a slot size fish in the livewell it is tough to have a weigh-in style tournament. I hope the proposed slot limits have the best interests of the fishery in mind and not that of the lakeshore owners.

I dont know for fact yet , still trying to find that out ! but that is exactly what myself and a couple buddies think is going on Superduty , at least at this point it smells that way!! I will be getting a hold of someone from the DNR this week and finding out!!

Im sure the DNR will not know much about it until the meeting!

I fished Crawford this spring. Lots of sunfish, the only issue none over 6" long. If the DNR would like slots, Keep size in mind even on panfish. State regs on sunfish less than 7". Sunfish 7" to 10" all released. This would keep the bigger fish in the lake. Do the same with crappies.

eekI talked to one of the GLSA directors last night on the phone for about an hour ! eekthis is from the GLSA eekand it has been in the making for a couple yrs now , there will be a couple public meetings on the issue before the DNR makes any regs , the biggest complaint so far is about the proposed bass and panfish changes sounds like walleye and northern changes will go ??? I will get the proposed changes by tonight and post them if someone dosent beet me to it and when I find out when the meetings will be I'll post this also so our (your) voices can be heard . like I've said my personal biggest problem is with the panfish !!!!!! any thaughts of yer own please voice them P.S. there is also talk about putting muskies in the lake ?????

Leave the muskies out. That'll turn it into Sugar Lake!

I don't mind a slot on Walleyes and Northerns. But leave the panfish limit the way it is.

Dont need the muskies at all. This is to high of a recreational lake, and people will get upset IMO.

I beleve that everything else should have a slot for a few years.

OK heres the scoop!! protected slot on northens 24"-36" , walleyes 17" minimum limit of 3 , largemouth bass protected slot 12"-20" , crappies and sunfish limit of 5 . there will be a public meeting (tenatively) SEPT 13 , 11:00 - 1:00 at the southside township hall where to my understanding there will be a vote on each new proposed regulation , questoins or concerns you can call the DNR fisheries montrose at (763)675-3301 . the person I talked to was Paul Dittrich (not sure on the spelling) and I also talked to one of the GLSA directors just go to www.lakesylvia.com GLSA home page for info on them. but please let me know your comments and what you think of these proposed changes as I'd like everyone who fish's this lake to vote at the meeting and voice your opinion. and just curios BNS what does recreation and muskies have to do with it . I've fished the [PoorWordUsage] out of sugar for muskies and I'll garantee theres more traffic on surgar than sylvia IMO..

the reason that i say that, is becuase there are always going to be some people that will never ever get into the lake if they are going to add muskie to the lake. I dont like the thought of it as well.

Im hoping this is true information that your passing along here. Noodle, can you please shoot me a email.

Thanks for the information

So if those are the new proposed slots and regulations, what can we keep? That's quite strict if you ask me.

Mike, Whats wrong with Sugar Lake-- It was the slob fisherman that ruined it(Panfish). I/We have released more trophy fish(Pike,Walleye) the last two years than any other lake.

Syliva needs to have slot limits on there fish. Bass fishing just isnt what it usta be with all the fish that are taking out of there. There just not big fish in there. Think about how awesome this lake could be if they hold off the bass fishing with slot. It would be one of the best bass fisherys in the state if they would hold a slot for a few years.

Syliva needs to have slot limits on there fish. Bass fishing just isnt what it usta be with all the fish that are taking out of there. There just not big fish in there. Think about how awesome this lake could be if they hold off the bass fishing with slot. It would be one of the best bass fisherys in the state if they would hold a slot for a few years.

Sylvia is awesome this year! We've CnR'd several bass that had to be near or over the 5 lb. mark.

Maybe it needs a slot, but not such a dramatic slot.

Mike, Whats wrong with Sugar Lake-- It was the slob fisherman that ruined it(Panfish). I/We have released more trophy fish(Pike,Walleye) the last two years than any other lake.

The musky population affected the panfish population quite a bit...?

Mike, i know there is alotof nice fish in there, but think about it for a min. If they would put a slot limit on them for a few years, just think what kinda fishery we would have on these two lakes.

My experience on sylvia lies mainly with bass and panfish, I seldom fish for northern out there but have caught many while bass fishing, and i've never fished walleye out there.

I know there are already some bigger northern in the lake, and I have not noticed an overabundance of hammerhandle sized ones in there, at least not like there was in sugar in the past. But like I said, I don't fish for northern out there often, so i'd be open to slot limits for them although i'm not sure if their population differs that much from other lakes similar to lake sylvia. I think northern populations need to be improved in many area lakes, not just lake sylvia.

For bass, I only catch and release out there so it would not bother me. I know there are a lot of fish within a similar size, around that 12 inch mark, but there are definitely some big bass in there, you just have to know where to find them. I think its pretty common to catch bass between that 3-5 lb size. I think someone on here mentioned earlier that these new restrictions would nearly put an end to tournament fishing out there, so I definitely think thats a possible reason behind this.

As for panfish, I think restrictions on these is uncalled for, it really seems like Sylvia has a very healthy population, especially compared to other lakes in the area. Could it be better, yes, but what couldn't.

I still think Sylvia is a very healthy fishery, but it is good to be proactive to keep it that way. Hopefully the DNR can give us some up to date numbers on what the populations are like out on sylvia, and hopefully an educated decision can be made from that data. But just from my experience on the lake, I don't think restrictions are needed for bass and panfish.

I was told by Paul Dittrich (DNR) that if any of the proposed regs and or slots go through it is a ten year study then reavaluation after that .I would like to see some recent reports on sylvia to back this proposed change. I very well could be wrong about this but what I gathered talking to the GLSA and the DNR ( just some of the comments that where made ) this is more about shutting down tournaments and league fishing and traffic than the best intrest of the fisheries , I hate to say that cuz I really hope I'm wrong .. I'd really like to see proof that it needs this because as a dedicated sylvia fisherman I dont see it...

I'd like to know how many of you are willing to go to this meeting and vote on what you think should be???

MN-FishGuy do you have an e-mail address so I could shoot ya a private message ???

I would be more then willing to go to the meeting. I think we need to have this on this lake for numbers or reasons. I think its only going to make the lake better, and have some trophy fishing coming down the road in the next few years if it is they put a slot limit on the lake.

I'm glad to hear that bns !! I'll vote with ya on the bass restictions , but do really believe the panfish need such a drastic change ?? And I also believe somthing needs to change with walleyes and northerns but not what there proposing..

I think these restrictions should be state wide!!!

I hope the Muskies don't show up in Sylvia, but the restrictions will only help the lake.

We caught a bunch of nice walleyes and bass this year, and most walleyes were released and ALL bass were released.

I don't understand why people keep the bass anyway when there are plenty of other fish to catch for a fish fry that taste good!

If you don't want pressure on a lake.....leave the panfish to 5. Its amazing how many people will NOT fish it!

A lake we fish up in northern MN has Bluegills over 10" and the state dropped the limit to 5. You can go out there now and only see a few people fishing compared to hundreds of fisherman a year ago.

Catch and Release is going to be hard for some people to accept, but its our future to protect the fisheries we now enjoy.

I vote for restrictions... But leave out the Muskies!!

PS. Should be against the law to eat a bass!