• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What should the Wild do in the offseason?

maros91

The team they have now can not get out of the 1st round. I think Lemaire needs to go. Nobody likes to play his defensive style and no big free agents will want to sign here. I also think Gaborik needs to go. A no show in the playoffs and wants the max of 10.1 million a year on his next deal. Sorry bud, I can name 20 players I would want rather that Gabby. Here is what I would do if I was the GM.

Gaborik- Trade him to the Panthers for Olli Jokinen

Demitra- Let go to Free Agency

Koivu- Keep

Parrish- Trade, 3 years left on his deal, declining numbers

Bouchard- Keep, is a RFA and wants 4-5 million a year.

Rolston- Let go to Free Agency

Belanger- Does nothing for me, decent 3rd line center

Sheppard- Keep

Boogaard- Keep

Radio- Let go to Free agency

Veilleux- Keep, good checking line player

Foy- Let go to Free Agency

Fedoruk- Keep, played good with Gabby and Demitra

Pouliot- Keep, look good when got a chance to play

Simon- Let go to Free Agency

Defenseman

Johnsson- Keep

Carney- Keep, played well

Shultz- Keep

Skoula- Trade

Nummelin- Let go to Free Agency

Foster- Keep

Burns- Keep

Hill- Let go to Free Agency

Backstrom- Keep

Harding- Keep

It is a weak year for free agents so we will see how the Wild will improve their team.

Trade Gabby but not for Olli Jokinen, we could easily get 3 good players for him. who, not sure, but i bet there would be a few that would be interested

Otherwise excellent list

biff- some good points, some arguable. with this yr being so bad in FA, who do you plan on adding then?

The biggest point i would agree with-- Lemaire does need to go!

Keep Gabby and add some offense around him!!! Sign Rolston to a 2 yr deal, hes a great team leader, I wouldn't mind Demitra coming back as long as the wild can find more offense in FA! Hill, Skoula, and Nummelin have to go. The Wild need one more big Defensemen

Like you said its a week year for FA, you can't let the only little offense we had go.

I'm on the fence as far as whether or not I think Lemaire should go, but I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on replacements for him. I don't pay much attention to the coaches in the NHL, so I'm not even sure who's out there.

I think that they should throw Burn and Gabby on a line, need better D they were throwing the puck around way to much in the playoffs. Lemaire- would not bother me if he left, he got out coached. Power play how many shots they even get of on the avs? all they do is trow to the point and let him wind up. Horible power play. Overall, they want to be in the hunt for the Cup they need younger fresher D and one more forward that can get 30-40 goals

I wouldn't trade Gabby last year was the most games he's played in a while and had a career points leader you put a REAL center between him and Demitra and wow that would be a great line. I think they need to do something with Skoula he's terrible. But all around I don't see them making to many moves they might let on of the two of Rolston and Demitra go to free agency but I don't see any blockbuster trades with Gabby or anything like that. I just hope they can get a real 1st line center.

agree they need a center or two that can win faceoffs and score goals. Belanger's didn't impress me all year, not enough points to make in impact.

I agree I don't see them getting rid of Gabby but Rolston has to go. Lemaire should go and they should start talking to Barry Melrose (not sure on spelling) for the right amount anyone is available. It is going to be interesting to see what the new owner has to offer.

Originally Posted By: walleyes12
they need a center or two that can win faceoffs and score goals.

Olli Jokinen

Originally Posted By: Biff Tannen

Olli Jokinen

Couple stats from 07-08 season

Gabby

Goals - 42

Assists - 41

+/- +17

GW Goals - 8

Jokinen

Goals - 34

Assists - 37

+/- -19

GW Goals - 5

I don't see the point of trading Gabby for Jokinen, Get some other players that will take some of the pressure of Gabby and help out in the scoring!

Originally Posted By: Biff Tannen

Olli Jokinen

I see your point of getting a good veteran in, but I'm not sure that's what the wild need. I would rebuild and go for a young talent while some of the guys are still younger.

Jokinen wasn't the same player this year. He is better than he showed this year.

Look at Jagr's numbers when he played for Washington a few years back and then look at what he's done for the Rangers. Entirely different player and he wanted to play in New York. Not sure what Jokinen's problem is, but maybe a trade would help him out.

I will throw out of bunch of names who are eligible for free agency. These are some of the "name" players available:

Centers

Weight, Doug

Holik, Bobby

Metropolit, Glen

Ruutu, Tuomo

Conroy, Craig

Langkow, Daymond- Just read he signed an extension with Calgary for 4yrs and $20 million

Yelle, Stephane

Perreault, Yanic

Williams, Jason

Peca, Mike

Forsberg, Peter

Sakic, Joe

Barnes, Stu

Smolinski, Bryan

Avery, Sean

Straka, Martin

Prospal, Vaclav

Roenick, Jeremy

Sundin, Mats

Morrison, Brendan

Fedorov, Sergei

Wingers

Selanne, Teemu

Recchi, Mark

Huselius, Kristian

Nolan, Owen

Vyborny, David

Brunette, Andrew

Drake, Dallas

Nagy, Ladislav

Demitra, Pavol

Rolston, Brian

Ryder, Michael

Gelinas, Martin

Fedotenko, Ruslan

Satan, Miroslav

Shanahan, Brendan

Lapointe, Martin

Stillman, Cory

Vrbata, Radim

Dupuis, Pascal

Hossa, Marian

Malone, Ryan

Roberts, Gary

Ruutu, Jarkko

Naslund, Markus

Cooke, Matt

D-Men

Numminen, Teppo

Hedican, Bret

Wesley, Glen

Vandermeer, Jim

Hainsey, Ron

Foote, Adam

Liles, John-Michael

Chelios, Chris

Stuart, Brad

Montador, Steve

Blake, Rob

Tverdovsky, Oleg

Brisebois, Patrice

Streit, Mark

Malik, Marek

Mara, Paul

Rozsival, Michal

Commodore, Mike

Redden, Wade

Smith, Jason

Campbell, Brian

Ozolinsh, Sandis

Miller, Aaron

I'm just sick of Gabby getting hurt and the money that he is demanding. If we pay him what he wants on his next contract, 10.1 million a year, we will have no money to sign other players. Plus a no show in the playoffs. Afraid to take a hit and doesn't crash the net. Jokinen would be the big center we need. All those points he put up last year were on a bad Florida team. Plus I am a big Jokinen fan.

Doug Weight and Holik are the only ones on that list that I can see coming to the Wild. Just my opinion. The others will hold out for a stronger team that is under the salary cap.

There are some decent players out there for each position especially at center!!

I hear you on gabby. How many players do you think would even be willing to come and play for the current coaching staff here. The defensive style of hockey that Lamaire plays is not going to ever win a cup in the new NHL.

I would love Olli but is there anyway they could get him without Gabby? I have know idea I just don't see them giving up Gabby if he plays as many games next year as he did this year I'm sure he'll match is production or put up career numbers again. I just hope they do something that with let them advance around watching that Detroit Colorado game last night sucked knowing the Wild could be out there.

They will probably keep Roltson because of his price. He will take less to play for Lameire. I think he is a lazy player and only give 100% about every 3rd-4th shift. He and his linemates would be more productive if he played the body instead of skating by. The Wild are ok, They need D help big time. I thought this long before the injury to Schultz. If they would have went after Foote I believe we would still be playing. I see them picking up 1 player, who I am not sure. Simon, Skoula, Hill,and Nummilun need to go. Simon I think is the only 1 with any excuse, he missed so much of the season being suspended I don't think he was in good enough shape.

Trade Demitra back to the Kings for Patrick Sullivan. While they're at it how about Gaborik for Kopitar and Jack Johnson.

They won't be trading Gabby....they won't panic because Colorado knew he was our best player and gave him like all teams do special attention in the playoffs.

Other then that we should sign all the great free agents like ALL the others teams in all sports do except Minnesota teams then we can have ALL great Minnesota sports teams like all the other Sports teams except us.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

Other then that we should sign all the great free agents like ALL the others teams in all sports do except Minnesota teams then we can have ALL great Minnesota sports teams like all the other Sports teams except us.

Say that 10 times fast. grin.gif

I think Bouchard and Pouliot for Jokinen was talked about at the deadline but Martin from Florida wanted Butch and Koivu. Flyers gave Ovechkin special treatment and he came up with the big goals and assists to prolong the series. If you even come close to getting physical with Gabby it takes him off his game.

Fill the team up, and spend all the money they can to get to the cap room. They need to keep the team around, so spend as much money as possible

Only place Foote would go was back to Avs.. And yes, we will never go far in the SCP w/Lemaire as coach and you guys are right-many players won't come here because of his 1995 system. Don't work anymore. He doesn't seem to get it.. We see it, other players see/know it. But he won't change-so show him the door unless all we want here is perennial 1st round exits, IMO.

With all do respect for Lemaire he has done all he can for the team. He can't get anymore from them. I don't mind his system, but he never changed his philosophy if it wasn't working. What also bugged me is his constant juggling of his lines. You look at many of the other teams and you find consistent lines throughout the game no matter what. He runs different lines out each shift so no one can get any continuity. I think players are tired of the constant changes made from shift to shift and game to game. How do you think Crosby and Malkin would do if they had different personnel each shift? I think it is time for Ramsey, Tremblay, or even Constandine, to give it a shot. Team knows how to play the defense, now they need the offense and consistency to go with it.

Last year they played the best team first. This year they hit a hot goalie and were short two defensemen for the playoffs.

The only players I would NOT trade would be Burn, Koivu and Schultz.

I'd like to see them keep Rolston over Demitra but it depends on the price.

They need a gritty guy who can score. A guy like Morrow or Hagman from Dallas would be nice. They have too many grinders on this team and not enough scorers.

I'd listen to trade offers for Gabby but they have to get some scoring in return.

It should be an interesting offseason.

I don't know what they'll do with Gabby. I think he'll still be here come next season, however the Minnesota trend could continue and we could lose another NAME player in Minnesota. It wouldn't bother me if a team in Minnesota actually got something in return for these stars we let go.

Gaborik could follow in the shoes of KG, Torii, Santana, or Moss. IMO we didn't receive anything descent in return for these players.

Personally I'm a fan of Rolston and I still think his slapshot is one of the most dangerous in the game. He's still going to put up numbers and he's a reliable TEAM player! The center is a weak spot and a team with one star makes it tough for that player to get free and take shots! The Av's knew this and took advantage. We need someone to compliment Gabby at Center. A few Defensemen would also be helpful.

Originally Posted By: mr_jman

Personally I'm a fan of Rolston and I still think his slapshot is one of the most dangerous in the game.

If he takes it at the right time it is. On the PP from the point and coming down the wing it is good. When he does the whirling derby and fires and misses the net by 5 feet and it rings around the boards and out of the zone it gets a little frustrating. Time to move on with Rolston.

I can't dissagree with that. When he sets up and takes a good shot its deadly and quite accurate. When he blindly shoots and blows 20 secs of a powerplay its annoying!!!!!

Gaborik is the same way except he misses the net with his slapshot about 90% of the time. Why lift the puck EVERY TIME! If he had some accuracy he would add 10 - 15 more goals a season I bet!

• 1 month later...

gabby doesnt have any reason to take a slap shot anyway. his snap shot is one of the best i have seen.