• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

PRO-V
On 5/18/2017 at 10:01 PM, slammer said:

Whats going on here?

Rebuilding the shoreline.

fisherjmb

Was up at Long Point with 5 guys last Thursday PM through Sunday AM. Thursday evening after the wind went down a bit the fishing was great. Ended up getting our limit for the 6 of us that evening. Ate fish that night. Friday and Saturday were slower but still pretty good. A LOT of little ones so we had to sort through them to get some keeper fish. Ended up getting our limits to take home by Saturday afternoon and then the rain started. Very few slot fish, which was a bit of a surprise. Only 4 over 19.5", with 2 at 20, one 22 and the biggest being 25. Jig and a frozen shiner/fathead worked well. No real preference between the two minnows. Jig color didn't seem to matter that much but we had best luck on gold, pink, chartreuse and glow white. Depths we fished were 21-26 feet, pretty much all those depths worked fine. Really fun trip and I look forward to the next one.  

• Like 3

Hoey

The weather this weekend kept people on their toes.  Some where looking for areas to get out of the wind, some went out under calm conditions only to find the wind switched and picked up steam, while some came in to avoid the winds that later settled down.  It was good that the rain stayed away for the most part.

Our bite was good with jigging.  We actually got our limit on Friday and only needed to replace what we ate for Friday night dinner on Saturday.  

Some folks are starting to pull spinners, but most are still in jigging mode.  

• Like 1

kfk

My wife and I were up Friday and trolled cranks with snap weights in 23-25 ft. just out from Pine Island, catching 30 to 40 walleyes and saugers from about 9:30 to 1:30.  We caught nothing huge, but kept two decent limits of walleyes and saugers.  We had a lot of action and marked a lot of fish.

• Like 2

jiggin9

A group of guys and myself fished last Thurs-Sat and stayed at Linder's Hideaway Cabins.  Nice place, cheaper rates and within walking distance to Cyrus.  Fishing was decent for us.  Fished outside of Pine mostly.  Some snuck over to Zippel with similar results.  Went from hot and minimal wind on Thurs-Fri to being winded out Saturday.  Anything with gold jig and a frozen shiner seemed to produce the best in my boat.  Mixed livewell of sauger and walleye each day.  There seems to be a strong sauger class in that 10-12" range.  10-13' seemed to be the better depths for us.  Tried pulling spinners with the trolling motor too for a while with minimal success.  Also tried pulling cranks with leadcore anywhere from 20-28' with some success.  I graphed a lot of fish in those depths but just couldn't really get dialed in on them.    We got the shallow report (8-9') after when we stopped up at Morris Pt. resort for some food and a drink.  Oh well.  Can't complain.  We had a fish fry one night and were able to bring some fish home too.  Another great trip up to the big pond.   

• Like 3

Hoey

We fished Fri to Sun.  Our success was good, not as great as it should be for this time of the year.  Found the spinner bite to be tough as they were taking the tails off the crawlers resulting in a lot of misses.  The guys jigging did much better.  Like jiggin9 indicated, there was also a good bite shallow, in 4 to 6 fotw using 2 oz bottom bouncers.  

FIL with a 26 incher.

5949557defe42_IMG_353926Inch.thumb.JPG.ca076a524d3950905a66b84bd6051a5a.JPG

IMG_3544.thumb.JPG.8b401eb9f46a77d39d23a365af2e8f84.JPG

BIL with a 27.59495590ebc02_IMG_354927Inch.thumb.JPG.3c9dcebfd47539571ac37b6084b9744f.JPG

• Like 2

srj

Expecting a light NW breeze yesterday, I was quite surprised to see the rollers as I headed out thru the Morris Gap. It did lighten up in the afternoon. The good thing was the large bunch of fish off the south shore starting around 29 feet and out. There were a couple boats shallower too. The fish ignored my live bait but bit fairly well on cranks using leadcore. A few charters were running downriggers here and there also. The water was quite clear and 69 degrees. I hope a good number of fish stay south this summer.

Good luck.........and where are all the old posters?

• Like 3

ifishwalleye

I fished Sunday and Monday. Sunday was totally flat and Monday was quite windy in the morning. I was marking lots of fish but I had trouble getting them to bite. I used jig/frozen shinners, leeches and used downriggers to try and find active fish. There were lots of floating mayflies along with clouds of them that were showing on the graph. I tried different depths along with reefs. I caught 12 on Sunday. I kept 3. The rest were small and a 21".   On Monday I only caught small fish and not a lot of them. Several of them were coughing up mayflies. Hopefully the mayflies are done soon!

Edited by ifishwalleye
  • Like 2

Mlaker3

I really enjoy Quesnell's video's and hope he keeps that up for a long time.  But for the average guy running up there only occasionally it is a bit harder.  I got up there and fished Thursday and Friday after the wind and rain of Tues-Wed.  A gentleman I talked to at the resort I was staying at said they had been on a charter on Wednesday and 6 people caught 16 fish all day.  Thursday was a tough bite out of the gap for me.  Jigged for a couple hours moving around, drug crawlers a couple hours, nothing.  Started to pull cranks and caught 6, found a lot of fish on sonar at around 31 ft but the water was so chocolate colored I think it threw the bite off.  Went back to crawlers and got a couple more. Later in the day the wind died and was able to go out to a small reef and caught two over 21".  I think I got 10 for the day

Friday went out of Long Point, found some fish off a reef, anchored up and sat there and caught around 20 by 1:30.  Loaded up and went home.  The water was about 2 shades clearer than the day before.  Good luck all.

• Like 2

srj

What a treat THursday and Friday....little wind! Two days in a row, almost unheard of this year. Lots of fish being caught all over. The most fish I've seen in the south half of the basin in quite a while. Scattered schools in many locations and some of them huge. Boats scattered around from about 30' to about the middle, all seemed to be catching. Mostly driggers or lead core but some jigging and a few pulling spinners. Further north, there were few boats on Bridges and Knight reefs which was a bit of a surprise.

But one thing that really surprised me was the number of fish on large areas of shallow flats (15 -17) north of traverse bay. Must be good eating as there are lots of fish a long way from deeper water including nice saugers.

Really a fun, pleasant couple days.

Good luck.

• Like 3

srj

Curt said it right in his report, 'the fish were angry"! With the terrific forecast for Sunday/Monday, I headed back to the cabin early Sunday. Sunny, hot, humid and little wind, eventually no wind. Perfect. I headed north rock hopping and there were few rocks that didn't have fish.....and they acted pizzed. Most of the time they slammed the spinner/crawler. Hard. First couple I didn't thing were eyes, but they were. Oddly I didn't catch any saugers. Big fish, nice fish but very few small fish. Also very few boats. Those I could see were netting quite a bit it seemed. Glad I had my ugly flats hat and long sleeved white shirt. It was seriously warm. For me, the best bite of the year for big fish and numbers. Surface temp got to 79 during the day.

Monday the wind was up early out of the SW and the troll bite is still going well off the south shore. 30' and deeper there are various schools, some very large. There seem to be fish all across the basin as there were boats spread out from about 3 miles off shore to the middle of the lake. Even a fair number of charters staying south. Good to see.

Good luck

• Like 3

srj

This last Thursday and Friday Mother Nature got back to this years normal-----wind. Not bad, but sure not calm. There are still some big girls on the rocks but not all rocks were good. If you saw them, you caught them. Spinners/crawlers. Afternoons we pulled plugs NE of Long Point. A good bite but as Curt mentioned, the massive schools seem to be dispersed. Still good numbers scattered around, just much smaller bunches. Nice sized fish too.

Looking at the long range forecast, it is calling for NW wins from Saturday on  for 8 days or so. Should be a pretty big cool down. Water temp was upper 60's Friday.

Lets hope for a good fall bite.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hoey

My single word to describe this past season is "wind."  And it has not let up.  Seems to be blowing like crazy, every day.  Two weeks ago the surface water temp was 48F and as one guy I talked to said, "the lake will turnover soon."  If this is the case, then we have dirty water that needs calm to re-settle.  Looks like near single digit temps mid-next week.  That will help.  We need that wind to move on.

• Like 1

huntercj

First ice fishing trip today out of morson ontario .  Fishing  was a little slow got a few walleyes and a couple of crappies . Lost what little  snow we had today made the ice really  slippery. Found 9 to 11 inches of ice.20171124_161703.thumb.jpg.9c6ca8860116aea1752177b3795b1ba4.jpg

20171124_100724.jpg

20171124_095950.jpg

20171124_103845.jpg

20171124_093943.jpg

20171124_100236.jpg

• Like 3

Hoey

Waiting for Brian Nye to report out on ice conditions.  

Phillip Peck

keep me posted I'm from ny and planning a trip in February

Hoey

Seasons Greetings to all.  It is ice fishing season!!!  Hurrah.

I fished Friday and Saturday.  I arrived on Thursday evening and found a lot of opinions on the safety aspect of the ice.  The resort is ultra conservative in their assessments, and this should be expected as they have a lot at risk.  First ice explorers always push the limits.  For example one sled is on the bottom after breaking through 2 inches of unexpected weak ice, a week ago Sunday.  

I found 11 inches were I traveled and fished, only going out a couple miles.  There is a lot of eight inch thick broken ice chunks to work around and through.  The bite Friday was very good.  Catching numbers were high, but size kept it from being great to excellent.  I ended up one fish short of my walleye/sauger limit.  My four sauger were 15 to 16 inchers - nice.  My three walleye were 15 to 17 inchers.  I had two for dinner.  So on Saturday I was looking for three nice walleye.  The bite was much slower.  We had an east wind with rising temps.  I was anticipating another Friday type bite.  It was generally zero to eight degrees every morning.  I finally ended the Saturday with two 17 inch walleye, one short of my limit again.  

I plan to be back during the week following Christmas through New Years with family and friends.  

Good Luck and practice safety!!!  

• Like 2

slammer

Hoey,  how did you travel,  by foot,  wheels,  or tracks?

• Like 1

Hoey

I was out on a snowmobile, sno-cat to some, pulling a portable.  

minneman

how much snow on the ice?

Hoey

From 5 years ago!

IMG_2215.JPG

Hoey

Wow - it is pretty quite around here, except for the insults.  Leaving today, to fish Fri and Sat.  Taking a couple of guys from the office.  Weather forecast seems workable.  Reports I have requested is that the bite is tough, but doable.  Wish me luck!!!

• Like 4

chaffmj

Good luck. I am headed up Saturday so leave some in the lake for us. :D

• Like 1

Hoey

OK - we made it back!!!  Every trip is different with it's own potential perils.  

I finally got into my house on Friday around 11am.  My guests were rookies, so i spent time with each of them, getting setup, heaters started, Vexilars set, houses banked, lines prep'd and set, bait, etc...  The bite was somewhat slow and many small ones.  The day got better 3 to 430pm.  Ended up with 6 nice eyes (19, 18x3, 17x2), 13 jumbos (most ever for a day), 12 small sauger which we ate for dinner.  

On Saturday we headed up to the south shore of the Angle, longer ride, so again did not get started too early.  Ended up with our 6 eyes for our limit, these ranged from 15 to 16 inches and a 4-pack of sauger.  Again the bite seemed to pickup at 3 or so and was done by 430pm.  

Ice as 3 foot or so.  Snow depth varied a lot, depending on the condition of the ice.  Smooth areas were blown off to crusty 6 inches or so.  Rough ice surely held a lot of snow.  

The drive back on Sunday was somewhat tough from Baudette to Emily, winter storm warning.  Slow go, low visibility, and icy roads, sometimes down to 15 mph.  

Next scheduled trip is with my wife, son, and three of his Gopher swim teammates for spring break in three weeks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walleye Inn

sounds great. I hope everyone had fun great job Hoey red lake was slpw Saturday kept 2

• Like 2