• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Fished North of Springsteel this evening. 3 keepers for 4 guys, threw back a 20 inch. All of the reports from the Pine Island/gap area have been slow at best. Some reports are terrible. Not sure I've heard of a consistent, go-to bite anywhere on the South shore right now.

Heard through the grapevine that some big pike were caught recently, and it sounded like they might be getting more aggressive. The ditches and creeks were flowing hard this afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back to this April 2014 edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. This month has flown by, and seems that time truly flies when you're having fun. We would like to thank all the people that made our winter and spring so enjoyable. It's truly because of you that we get this life...we are so blessed.

In this edition you'll see an early April Ice Fishing adventure up to the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods, while we search for Lake Trout and Whitefish...yummy yummy. The adventures seem to never stop and the we keep making the best of the situations we face...Northern Pike Tip Up Fishing, Snowmobiling, Shed Hunting, Walleye Fishing and Sturgeon Fishing have all been on the docket.

Don't miss out in finding what it's all about on the Walleye Capital of the World baby, Lake of the Woods.

Happy Fishing and God Bless.

Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman

Does anyone have any recent ice reports and/or photos of the lake from the warroad or long point area? Its been too cloudy to see the satellite for almost 2 weeks now and it doesn't look like it will be getting any better the rest of the week before opener.

Drove by the point in Warroad on Sunday afternoon. Open water coming out of the river but it doesnt extend very far. Still looked locked up around Springsteel and was ice as far as you could see on the main basin. No info on Long Point. Your right though, Sunday would have been the only clearish day to get a look on the Satellite but then it didnt take a picture that day for whatever reason....

There is open water in front of Graceton Beach as of yesterday morning. Depends on which way the wind is blowing but there was some there yesterday. There is a picture on Ballard's Resort facebook page.

Open water in front of our place for about 300 yards. The big sheet is moving around some.

Fishing on Saturday overall was good. 3 of us kept 12 perfect keepers ranging from 16-19" (all males) in shallower water and released some real nice slot fish in the bay. I wouldn't say they jumped in the boat, and there were definitely some lulls, but it was relatively consistent.

The females were definitely stacked in the bay, and so were the boats! The great thing was you could find somebody battling or netting a fish nearly continuously. At one time we counted 6 boats within eyesight with big fish on. Witnessed a young girl in a neighboring boat land a 30" fish yesterday evening. Also overheard multiple people talking about many fish caught over 30".

Lots of fishable, open water by Morris Pt, less by Lighthouse Gap. Water temps by the ice were about 41, water temps in the currents, shallow areas and bay were around 44.

full-27252-45585-img_4042.jpg

Looks and sounds awesome up there!! grin I see by the satellite pic today that the large sheets of ice north of pine island are breaking up! I am going to be up memorial weekend to June 1st, so it looks like it will be pretty prime then. I can't wait!!! cool

Thanks to vman for pic and update on opener!!

Good luck to all!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates from this weekend? Anyone fish out near cliff island?

Any updates from this weekend? Anyone fish out near cliff island?

I don't know where Cliff Island is, but the structure around Long Point was going strong this past weekend. Beautiful & plentiful eater walleye from 16-19" and a plethora of 20-25" fish. There really are a lot of those low to mid 20s fun fighting fish in the lake right now.

This morning we made quick work finding our eaters and throw backs, plus some bonus perch. 3/8 oz. jigs with frozen shiners worked like usual but Gulp! that mimics emerald shiners was definitely a close second. The biggest of the morning, a healthy 29", bit the Gulp.

The water temp Saturday morning was in the low 40s, hovering between 41-43. This morning we marked 54 degrees. Quite a change in 2 days.

Also witnessed quite a few sturgeon caught in the area. We had one on that snapped the line but saw 3 others caught and witnessed many fish surfacing.

Fishing was good in 4 mile bay and over by Morris Point gap this weekend. Sounds like the fishing started to pick up out on the lake as the water warms up. Things will be changing the next week as the fish move around a little from where they have been the past few weeks. The river bite seemed to have slowed up also this weekend.

We fished this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Fish are being caught. Fish are generally scattered, but concentrated in spots. Some fish still have not completed spawn. Most fisherman are shoreline oriented, i.e. off Twin Islands, Buffalo Pt. to Whiskey Flats. Some reports of fish showing up on the reefs such as 12 Mile. Water temps ranged from 54F on the north shore east of Stoney Pt. to 47F on the southern shore west of Rocky Pt.

Welcome back to the adventures of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman and Friends in this May 2014 edition. This month has brought us some of the best of what our tremendous back yard provides us.

The Walleye fishing has been, and still is, some of the best this humble outdoorsman has experienced on a daily basis in my life. Sometime you've got to adapt to the conditions to make the adventure...Lake of the Woods can through it all your way, be ready for the next adventure.

Happy Fishing and God Bless.

The past week May 25 - June 1 was great for us. We were at Cyrus Resort, and mainly fished from Morris point to the Gap in 12 - 20 FOW. It was a little slow when the sun was hot and water flat, but it become really good the couple of times the weather changed and some chop came up. We were able to get a few Walleyes every day, and also got some very nice sized Perch a couple days. The best was Wednesday (5-28) when a cool front came through and the wind switched from south to north very quickly. The chop came up and the Walleye turned on big time for us as we boated 6 from 15" to 19" in about 30 minutes. We were near the tip of 4 mile island in about 15 FOW at the right time and place that day. We love LOTW and can't wait to come back. Cyrus Resort is the best (In my opinion) as well.

Good Luck and fish on!!!

full-30073-46299-1stwally.jpg

full-30073-46300-3rdwally.jpg

full-30073-46301-nextd_01.jpg

full-30073-46302-nice.jpg

Wow what a change from Friday to Saturday. Had some friends go out of Springsteel on Friday and fill out on Walleye in 5 hours. I made the trip up Saturday and in 7 hours all we caught was 3 slot eyes and one eater.

Oh and I caught this dandy 40" Pike

full-36764-46498-img_1513.jpg

We fished Friday/Saturday also and experienced the same results, less the 40"er. Nice.

My wife, two boys, and I fished out in front of the entrance to Zippel Bay, on the big lake in 24 FOW, anchored, with 1/2 oz gold jigs, stinger hooks, and shiners. We fished pretty hard and caught around 40-50 walleyes on Saturday & Sunday, all in all a good take. Many smaller fish were caught on frozen emerald shiners, while the bigger fish were on live shiners. The biggest was 25” and the smallest was 6”. I think the little guy was harder to catch, lol. Hope this report helps you all, to the great fishing on LOW>good luck.

This year, I'm thinking of mixing some live bait with the frozen shiners. Anybody doing well on chubs and jigs this year?

• 3 weeks later...

How is fishing around Rocky Point? Will be up over the 4th and hoping to get the kids out if the weather cooperates. I had the kids tie up some new spinners last night so they are exited to see if they can catch something with their new "creations".

Welcome to the June 2014 edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. I would like to thank each person that has given me the opportunity of guiding them through our glorious fishery. It truly is because of you that we get this life, so we must say thank you.

We caught Walleyes all over the lake during June...in as shallow as 4 feet and as deep as 36 feet of water. The Laker bite was incredible and our great friend Eric Grundahl form G-Spot Fishing Company was all over those rascally trout. Muskie fishing is really starting to turn on and the monsters of the Northwest Angle are saying, "come on up and get me, if you can".

Happy Fishing and God Bless...

Welcome to the June 2014 edition of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman. I would like to thank each person that has given me the opportunity of guiding them through our glorious fishery. It truly is because of you that we get this life, so we must say thank you.

We caught Walleyes all over the lake during June...in as shallow as 4 feet and as deep as 36 feet of water. The Laker bite was incredible and our great friend Eric Grundahl form G-Spot Fishing Company was all over those rascally trout. Muskie fishing is really starting to turn on and the monsters of the Northwest Angle are saying, "come on up and get me, if you can".

Happy Fishing and God Bless,

Ran out of bait last weekend so decided to troll cranks. Went from Zipple to Morris and back in 8-11 ft. 37 fish caught and some bonus smallies which were mostly 8-10 in. About a dozen small eyes, 2 slot fish and the rest were 15-18 in.

Wednesday 5pm to 7pm caught 24 in 8 1/2' east end of Pine. Mostly eaters and 1 slot. Jig and frozen emerald or half a crawler. Thursday morning slower, got some on jigs and spinners shallow out to 25'. Headed out to reefs off Long point in afternoon. Jig fished 30'-33' and got a bunch of really nice sauger and walleye. 3 slots - 24", 25" and 27 1/2".

• 5 weeks later...

Fishing has been pretty solid overall. In the past 3 weeks, we've had decent spinner success in front of Lighthouse Gap and the west bar of Garden island, anywhere from 12-20 feet of water. Lead core was also solid, between Warroad and Springsteel in 22-24 feet of water and around the deep ends of the northern reefs. Heard reports of a decent bite around 12 mile as well. Yesterday we fished reefs and sand in Ontario and crushed them. Biggest was only 24, but we caught more 15-18" walleye than you could shake a stick at. Jigs and frozen shiners was the main tactic with spinners and crawlers working well in the sand. At some points it was as fast as you could get down. Water temps between 72-78 degrees.

Anyone been down rigging or pulling cranks yet? Not many reports being posted anywhere this year. Heading up on Thursday for a few days and plan on pulling some cranks and may also get up towards the Angle if the wind isn't to bad.

Yup, went out Saturday and did nothing but pull cranks. They were hitting them really good. It was an awesome bite with lots of action. The afternoon was best. Our biggest was 28-1/2.

Good Luck.

I talked to a buddy of mine and they went out yesterday and did some downrigging. They were around the long point area in 25-30 feet of water and had some success with bigger slot fish. Only a few eaters. I am not too sure what colors were working for them, but I do know they were fighting the wind pretty good, so that might have influenced their success on getting more fish.