• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

The jig bite is "ON" LAKE OF THE WOODS!

Happy fishing to all, and to all good day!

Wigwam Fisherman

great news JP! I am headed up to the Wigwam today after work! Look forward to catching up and getting the low down on the bite

Anyone still downrigging? I know the jig bite is hot but from JP's video it looks like alot of smaller fish. Wondering if the big girls are still chasing cranks out deeper?

The jig bite is "ON" LAKE OF THE WOODS!

Happy fishing to all, and to all good day!

Wigwam Fisherman

love your videos. thanks for them. ever thought of a hatcam or contour cam? seems perfect for the type of video you take.

The fishing is really hot out from the gap on the line in 20-28' right now. The fish are stacked up thick out there

The Walleyes still aren't in the river the way we'd like to see them, but it's still a bit warm. With this cold weather rolling through our area right now, this should start the last of the Shiners to run, which will bring those Walleyes that are packing up just outside the Gaps (Morris & Lighthouse). There are still some Walleyes to be had in the Rainy though...Wheelers Point, Wabanica (The Church), Winter Road River and the Baudette Airport, or at least that's where the Wigwam Fisherman and Jody nabbed a few this past weekend while fishing the Chili Bowl Fishing Contest at Borderview. It's only a matter of time till the river bite is on in full force, we'll keep you updated.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman

Nice tribute and picture of Kev, thanks for that J.P. Will definitly miss him, taught me alot of "old Canadian guide tricks" through the years but mostly how to just have fun and enjoy the outdoors. Will miss his stories, his humor and his friendship. Rest in Peace Kev, we'll miss ya.... Jimmer

Hit the lake today outside the gap......didn't find a cooperative fish. Water was pretty churned up from the big winds the last few days. Anyone having any success on the lake still?

Dang, that's a bummer to hear...sounds like the wind will be down over the next couple of days. We'll be staying at the Wig Wam Fri/Sat. Hope the water settle's and the fishing picks back up again.

Heading up to Wigwam tomorrow morning for our anniversary trip. First time on LOTW been excited about it for the last month. Watching the videos all month builds the enthusiasm, hopefully we can get on some fish!

Hey KCWalleye;

Are we talking chocolate milk churned up? Lure disappears 6 inches into the water or what?

Any additional info GREATLY appreciated.

Was Fishing Lake of the Woods/Rainy River from 10/15 thru 10/19. Fishing was pretty good, not the best I've seen, but pretty good! Strong NW winds kept us (and 99% of others) off the main lake - everyday feaken day! For the most part we stuck to the river. The better spots for our group (3 boats and 9 people) seemed to be the double bridges in Baudette. Also, caught fish by Borders in front of the orange wind sock and the Air Port. Hit a handful of other places in the river with pretty much equal results. Double bridges seemed to produces larger fish on average (2 @ 27inch, 4 between 25-27inches, and a handful of 22-25inhes) as well as a far amount of keepers.

Walleyes are in the river! They were coming through in waves every 30-45min pretty consistently...too bad the water temp wasn't just a bit colder, could have had even greater numbers.

Caught fish in 16-26fow, Mostly in ~20-22fow...Best colors for us were - Disco ball gold, gold w/ black eye, Metallic Red, Orange/white/chartreuse, Pink/white.

Had no problems getting our limit to take home and had 2 large fish fry's for dinner and another the last day for lunch.

Great Times had by all! Been doing the trip for 20 years and already have the trip booked for next year for the same week!

Jig Em' Up!!!

Going out one bonus time today. Going to start on the lake and move to the river if time permits. Looks like this time will be much better than the 40 mph attempt a few weeks ago. So excited I couldn't sleep until the 5 am

alarm!

Water temps are 46-47 surface in river, lake was a bit warmer 2 days ago. We haven't been back out because it was all churned up, yes pretty chocalate milky 2 days ago. Haven't heard a good report from anyone who has fished the lake the last 3 days. We are finding fish in the river pretty steady, lots of small fish......still waiting on the big girls. Best colors for us are glow pink

Going out one bonus time today. Going to start on the lake and move to the river if time permits. Looks like this time will be much better than the 40 mph attempt a few weeks ago. So excited I couldn't sleep until the 5 am

alarm!

We didn't have much luck at all yesterday. Started in the river by the windsock, then went out to the lake past the gap, then over to morris point, and back to the river by the church. We did see some people pulling in fish, but it was very slow. We either didn't have the right technique, right color, or were always in the wrong place. My boys and I didn't have to clean a fish, which is kind of a bummer. I caught a walleye that fit in the palm of my hand and we threw back two 13" eyes early figuring we would catch more. My oldest snagged a 7" eye in it's belly and then the starting battery went dead. We hung around til about 3:30 and then called it a day. Gotta know when to hold and when to fold.

That sucks! Know that going out late is much better than spending the day catching nothing. The bite between 4 to 6 is the key time to be on the water.

Coming up Wednesday for a four day lip rippen good time. Have fun.

The Wigwam Fisherman and the Will Dekkers Group had fantastic day of Walleye Fishing on the Walleye Capital of the World this fine October day. The Rainy River is just starting to produce some nice looking Walleyes, but on this Saturday there were over 500 boats fishing those fabulous waters, so we decided to head up north and fish North Bridges Reef. With calm winds the 22 mile run was a breeze. The Walleye, Perch and Sauger fishing in 29' of water was on FIRE, and the jigs of the day were the Northland Tackle Buckshots (Gold and Silver), that's right, ICE FISHING LURES!

Right now, if you wanted to fish the river you'd be happy with your results. Right now if you wanted to fish the Gaps you'd be happy with your results, and if you wanted to fish the rocks you'd be really happy with your results, just as we were. Our tremendous fishery is in prime form and ready for more anglers.

Wigwam Fisherman

In this video you'll get the opportunity to be "in the boat" with the Harry Holmberg Group and Tom and Barb Miller as they set the hook, and boat over 300 fish in 2 days on the Walleye Capital of the World! Sorry for its length, but it was just that good I couldn't leave it out...Enjoy. There must also go a "BIG WIGWAM THANK YOU" to all the participants...this one's for you. Lake of the Woods baby, Lake of the Woods...Jumbo Perch, Saugers and Walleye!

Wigwam Fisherman

Fishing on Lake of the Woods has been great this last month! We had a few really nice days with the temperatures in the 50’s. The water was like glass! The lake has finally cleared up from all the wind we have had in recent weeks. There are still plenty of fish to catch in the lake even though many of them are now in the river chasing the shiners. Down-rigging and jigging has worked the best. We are using Northland Tackle’s 3/8oz Eye-ball jigs. Gold, pink, and chartreuse have been the color of choice. This last week we caught some really nice Walleye, a few in the higher 20’s and even one that hit 30 inches! Come enjoy a trip up North before Lake of the Woods Ice Fishing begins! See you on the water!

Had great luck on the lake Saturday in 27 feet of water using dead shiners. The popular color on this day was green and white. Sunday the wind was a little much so we fished the river from the drift sock to the church with little sucess. Fish are still out in the lake and hungry.

lots of fish out in the lake. 24-28fow was the best for us outside the lighthouse gap. gold jig and a shiner.

• 5 weeks later...

Found plenty of fish this morning in 18'. My first fish of the ice season was a 25" We threw back many 15-17" walleye at the end while working to catch our sauger.

7" of ice where we were. ATV's/SxS Rangers were driving around everywhere. Resort houses are comming out in full force.

Is anyone else anxious to see JP Tessier's first hard water video report of the ice season? I know I am.

Yes, JP gives great reports. I have friends fishing up there right now so I am calling them for reports. They said they are catching alot of Walleyes, but too big so throwing them back. Darn. They are off of Morris Point, toward the islands. They have about 9" of ice. I am hoping to get up there next weekend if there is enough ice for my house.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

A lot of walleyes and sauger are coming in. 9" of ice and making more.

Early ice is hot. Be sure to check out the video above in JPs post if you want to see what they are catching and using to catch them...

enjoy smile

I'm heading up tomorrow, hopefully the roads aren't glare ice. I usually go to Zippel, but have been hearing Morris Point is hot, anyone have recent reports?

Everything seems to be pretty hot right now. Morris Point was smoking last weekend. I think you can go to any of the big 3 (Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel) and catch fish.

Good Luck