• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Just curious because I was fishing out in front of Sandy Shores last weekend and the ice was still rather solid yet. The top 6"-8" was soft, but after that it was solid yet. I was out Tuesaday afternoon but did not drill any holes. Ice still looked good this morning. I think it is going to be a little late this year for ice out. All though big rains could change that in a heart beat.

sounds like the lighthouse gap is open a couple of miles into the lake. The cold nights the last couple of days slowed it up otherwise it was going fast on Tuesday when it was warm.

• 5 weeks later...

Started out at 5:45 am by green bouy in 4 mile bay had our 12 walleyes for 3 guys by 6:30, fishing slowed by 9:00, no big ones yet, windy but sunny, another good opener at lotw!!! smile

Started out at 8:00am in 4mile 13 nice fish by 9:30 then it shut off! Windy! but doable.

All in all good opener No Rain! only Sunshine grin

The Walleyes are back on the menu!

Happy Fishing to all and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman

Went out of the boat launch by the mouth of the Rainy. Tried jigging in the main lake. Catching a fish here and there. Lots of misses(barely hooking them, light biters). Switch to trolling spinners and lindys. trolled in front of one of the gaps in 10 to 14 feet of water. Did alot better than jigging most of the fish were between 15 to 18 inches. No monster fish to speak of. Did limit out with a few bonus saugers.

For us the key was the warmer water. The lake was 47 degrees in some parts and other parts ,gaps shallower water we found water 60 degrees. It seem that you would catch them in flurries and then it was slow for an hour and then you would catch 4 or 5 all at once. IMO I think the fishing will improve by this weekend with a little stable weather. Good luck to you.

Went out alone Sunday 10:00am near Twin Islands. Caught over 20 fish in hour and a half. nothing bigger than 18.5". Gold 3/8oz jig and chubs. Kept a limit of nice eaters. Went back out to same spot at 4:30 pm. Not a bite. Tried drifting with spinners for awhile, nothing. Guess it wouldn't be as fun if it was always easy.

Maybe he was out fishing for his saugers after catching his limit of walleyes earlier wink. There is more than one species of fish in the lake.

I must have been going for perch because my limit included 4 eyes and 2 saugers. Maybe it was Muskie.... yeah thats it, thats what it was. Haha

Quote:
Maybe get a clue before spouting off.

"boy", I have much more than a clue! The DNR sneaked the definition of what constitutes a legal daily limit into the regs. about 60 years ago. It must have slipped by you. Rather than explain it, let me merely suggest you get the regs. on CD as reading doesn't seem to be your strength. There is no "Robin Hood" exception. Rather than play your childish semantics game, consider yourself TIP ed. All posts have been copied and will be delivered to the DNR tomorrow. Sportcraft 252 with with Lowrance HDS 7 should narrow the boat field considerably as to which boats to monitor.

Thanks for the reports guys!! I am coming up to LOW June 12 (for the first time) and am hoping it is as good as it has sounded for the last couple of years. I have been fishing kabetogema-namikan and Vermilion for years and it has gotten pretty far and few between. I am not getting into your limit-legality issue--the man obviously said one thing that was taken literally. We are responsible anglers who want to look out for our fisheries long term. I am looking forward to fishing LOW from all I have heard--thanks again for the reports.

Three of us fished Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It was remarkable that the wind maintained a steady E to E-NE direction, which is known to put a damper on catching.

Friday, we fished the south tip of Buffalo point. Wind was manageable at 10mph or so. Left the harbor around 9:30am. We had one short of our limit of 16” to 19” males by noon. Most fish were caught in 8’ to 14’ depth. We were saving the last spot of our limit for a 19-1/4 incher. The bite slowed as the afternoon went on. Finished the day with our limit, boated 28, largest being 21”. Minnows and crawlers were equally effective. Ended the day with a nice walleye dinner.

Saturday, winds were tougher, it rained all day with no breaks, 15 to 20 mph winds. Fished Twin Rocks, LJ’s/Clarence’s, and Gull Rock reefs. Kept enough for an appetizer/snack to go with steak dinner. Boated 10 fish, biggest was a spent 27” female. Fished from 11:00am to about 4pm. In the morning, had to run to the Marina to get a plug for our broken water pressure gauge that was leaking all over on Friday.

Sunday, winds were mostly 10mph or so, picking up later in the day. Fished Arnesen south reef, then over to 12 Mile Reef, Whisky Jack’s, and then over to the south point of Buffalo. Again kept enough for an appetizer. Boated 21 fish, largest was 25”. Fished mostly 12’ depth. The day was pretty nice with 50% cloud cover.

The spawn is definitely over and the fish are working to recover. Heading up again for Memorial WE.

Outstanding!! Thanks for your video post JP. Will be up to LOW June 12-19 and will stop by for a drink and to meet the man behind the posts. Thanks a lot for the updates and the fishing looks great upr there!!

Take care.

All these excellent reports are making my hands itch. We are coming up the first June 2-4. Can't wait.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman

This post is a little late but we had fairly good luck over Memorial Day weekend when we could get out fishing (when it wasn't storming). Sunday was the best day of the weekend. Caught this walleye on Sunday that measured at just over 30" which was my personal best at the time....

Pictures002-1.jpg

until a few hours later I caught the fish below that hit the tape at 30.5". What a day.

Picture015-1.jpg

I should add that both fish were released.

I won't say exactly where but it was near Long Point. The folks that know that area might be able to tell where I was by looking at the pics. Not really a secret spot by any means.

Didn't get a weight but both fish were fairly skinny in comparison to other walleyes I have caught on LOTW, probably had just spawned out. I am guessing at most the 30.5" was maybe 10 lbs. Can't be certain though.

Nice job, by the looks of it you were over by shandy shores area on those little rock piles, but thats just an observation grin

Boar, I think you are a little off in your observation. It looks more like Father Pruze(spelling?) to me.