• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

A buddy was straight(give or take) out of Zipple last night and anchored up in 30 feet of water and caught 25 eyes and sauger in than 2 hours. I think they are in most places out there from the reports on here.

Pinch me I must be dreaming, am I actualy gonna have really good fishing with family an freinds this weekend? This is so cool. Cant wait, thanks again for all the replies. Later boar

Keep yourself from radio fishing and do what feels like a good idea and you'll do fine.

I hear ya pete, Just gonna go out an fish an not over think it, just gonna enjoy the time on the water with my daughter as she tortures minnows an worms an uses them in ways they were never intended for. Later boar

Boar,

don't know how old your daughter is. If young and easily distracted a slip bobber works fine with a fathead. (even though when we anchored up for the night people gave us odd looks for having a slip bobber rig on a couple of lines.) My son likes to experiment and used about everything in his boat. But, the slip bobber set about 2 inches off the bottom worked very well. Actually, if windy as close to the bottom as possible with the weight about 8 inches above allows the minnow to sway just off the bottom--where we found most of the fish.

wahoo

A hugh Thank You for all those who gave advise!

What an awsome weekend!!! Satuday morning founds us with a sick girl who wanted to sleep longer an go rumage saling with mom. Good thing to, we started in front of Zipple at 9am had three good fish in the basket an then it just died. Called JP an said everybody was doing good 5 miles NE wich must have been the 9 footer, well JP everybody but us, no biggie, we went back to Zipple got our old spot in 31 in front of twin trees an bamo wamo we were done with eyes an saugeies. Feasted like kings. Halle would have been really boar during the lull time so it worked out that she stayed behind. CAauussse... 8am found me an her an a bud in the 31 ft spot again AN SHE KICKED DADS BUTT, WHOOP WHOOP! She took a goregeous 22" with a gash on it's belly, an ten minuets later I caught it, really weird never had that hapen that I know about anyway. We were done with eyes an two short on the saugs by 12:30 Eyes went from 16 to 19. Nice fish. Jig bite was tough tho classic rainy river bite, they just seemed to be there, dead weight. Youd go to jig an theres a fish an of course it ya reset to set the hook an its gone. Had a few more slot fish too. Jigs that worked best were the northland vagas jigs green an yellow. Cant remeber when I had that good a fishing on open water. Gonna half to do that again. Thanks to all those that chimed in with replies. Awsome weekend. Thanks, Boar

Yea its was great, frozen shiners were the meal 4 the day. Who moves things around? is space an issue.? Took me awhile to find my post.

Hey Boar good to hear you caught some nice fish, i beleive that is the spot where I had the WalleyeInn, I gotta get up there soon too!!Terry

Daily Fishing Report 6-14-10: Today we should have sunshine and clouds mixed high near 70F with winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Tonight should be cloudy with occasional showers, low 54F with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 50% chance of rain. Tomorrow should be overcast with rain showers at times, thunder possible, high 62F with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 50% chance of rain. Tomorrow night we should have a shower or two possible early with partly cloudy skies later at night, thunder is possible early, low 52F with winds SE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 30% chance of rain. Wednesday should be partly cloudy, highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 50s. Thursday we should see scattered thunderstorms possible, highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 60s. Friday should be cloudy with showers and thunderstorms, highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 50s. Today’s fishing report will be provided by myself, Tom Briggs, Billy “The Sniper” Kloos, and Kevin “Tall Tale“ Olmstead. This weekend 31’- 33’ feet on the US/Canadian border was the place to be…it was on fire! I have never caught so many big fish at one time in my life…Lake of the Woods baby, Lake of the Woods. Frozen Shiners and Chubs can be used with similar results out there right now, but I still prefer the frozen Shiners. A “Walleye Chop” helps considerably, but with a light wind, we’ve still been having success. The best method has been anchoring and jigging, so if you plan on anchoring in the big lake, the best type of anchor to use is a spike anchor with at least 100’ of rope. 3/8 oz Jigs (Pink/Gold & Chartreuse/Green) with frozen shiners were the golden tickets this weekend and week. We also did some long lining this weekend with awesome success when the wind died down and there was no Walleye Chop. I travel about 2.5-2.75 MPH and let out about 125-150 feet of line with TD-11 Rapalas and Reef Runners. This is one of my favorite ways to fish for “Big Walleye” on Lake of the Woods. Be sure to be hanging on, because when they hit you better be ready for a good fight. You can purchase your Jigs and Frozen Shiners from the same place that I get them from, Log Cabin Bait, which is about ¾ of a mile south of the Wigwam on 172. I hope to see you all up here, but if you can’t make it, keep checking out the fishing report…I’ll give you all the hard facts as soon as I find out where they’re hiding next. Good luck and Happy Fishing to all! Thanks for fishing with us and visiting with us at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods.

6-12-10+JP2.jpg

Announcements…If you’re looking for some great fishing and lodging deals, check out the June Specials we will be offering on our website www.wigwamresortlow.com. We are running a Super Summer Special for the balance of the summer, until September 1st. Tom would like to celebrate his 12th year of ownership, and help more people experience Lake of the Woods, by offering $25.00 per person, per night lodging in our lodge every day (midweek & weekend). We would also like to offer $25.00 per person, per night lodging in our cabins, midweek only (Sunday night – Wednesday night) some restrictions will apply to minimum numbers of guest per cabin. Each lodging charge is subject to applicable federal, state and local sales tax. Applicable to new reservations only. I also wanted to tell you all about our Veterans and Armed Forces Special, which we have running 365 days a year. Wigwam Resort gives Veterans and our currently enlisted Armed Forces a 10% discount on any package plus whatever specials we are giving. We want to thank you all for your service…God Bless America!

If you’re looking for an affordable vacation this summer, at a first class fishing resort, you’ve just found it! For additional information, please call one of our knowledgeable staff members at (800) 448-9260, and start your journey to the “Walleye Capitol of the World”!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman

Thanks terry that was fun, jp has it straight man, cant beat LOW right now, its on fire. I was on my way out to JPs local an as soon as we got there the wind died, was nt set up to lomg line butmade up for it with jigs. Must have been my carma, Same thing happens when I walk into a room, it just gose dead still. Had to laugh tho, there was a charter about 75 yards behind us watching us fill out on sunday, an as soon as we left, he pulls anchor an slips into our spot, way to find fish. Later boar

JP -- question for you - -how deep were u trying the tail dancers?

Thanks

Hit

Put my buddy on my spot today in 31' at zipple him an his three boys took home 10 nice eveys an some saugers in about 5 hours of fishing lots of dinks an a couple slot fish. Boar

terry - -what is the good word?

I am going up next week - -hoping for good weather but ... chance of rain every day, but so far -- no STRONG winds

Thanks Boar will meet you someday maybe this summer or next winter for sure!!!Hope the breeze goes down some. will report sunday Terry

Yeperdo, I have a company trip outa springsteel 2th an 26th, hope things can hold till then. Boar

When the wind finally went down about 12:30 sat we were able to get out on the big pond still some 3 ft rollers but not to bad. headed out from Morris Pt. went out to 30 and jigged with frozen shiners caught one nice 19" er then quiet so headed out a total of 8.04 miles and caught fish steady the rest of the day around 70 fish for the day' about 5 and a half hrs of fishing, had to reel in to have a sandwich a very good problem biggest 27" with over 20 orver 20" between me and my son, a very good time.Got up early today and headed out to same spot and caught 37 more with the largest 25" perfect breeze on sunday had to leave at 10:30 am because son had to go home to Bismarck ND.But what a great fathers day morning on the big lake. frozen shiners and leeches both worked on a gold and pink 3/8 jig Gotta get up there again soon,.Good Luck to all TERRY

Nice job terry, good to hear ya smacked em' How hard was it to jig with accuracy in three foot rollers? Obviously no problem. I'm heading up Friday night for a company trip outa springsteele, hope the weather holds. Boar

Made it up on Thursday fished just outside of Pine Island for a couple hours before it got too windy. Fishing there was ok, one 26 inch fish. Didn't make it out Friday due to the wind, but Saturday made up for it. Made it out to 31 feet in the afternoon on the Canadian border. Biggest was 27, limits for 4 boats, probably 30 fish in the slot. Jig color didn't seem to matter and I think leaches out produced shiners.

fiance and I are heading up on Thursday. This is our first of hopefully many trips to Lake of the Woods. We will be staying at Zippel state park. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Fishnfamily,

Make sure you have a good anchor, a handfull of 3/8s and 1/4 oz jigs and some frozen shiner minnows. Also secure your eats before you leave camp

(if you are tenting)to keep critters large and small out of your stuff.

Plenty of bug spray would also be wise......Have fun!!!

Keep those frozen shinners on ice at all times, even in the boat tehy will get mushy in a hurry an at five bucks a pop have a small bait cooler just for this. Thanks curt. Boar

Thanks guys, I wouldn't have thought of the cooler for minnows. I don't think the future wife would have appreciated them in the sandwich cooler. eek

Hitting the road at 4:00.