• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

This actually worked surprisingly well and didn't even have to tie it down. Now getting it over that last pressure ridge that was 4 feet tall was a different story. Was sure glad when 4 sleds showed up behind us to help lift it over.

Ice conditions in the warroad area? How are the landings and what not?? And how are you getting around? Any info is appreciated!

Ice conditions in the warroad area? How are the landings and what not?? And how are you getting around? Any info is appreciated!

Was going to be my exact question. Me and some guys are planning on a 19-22 trip up there. Been scratching our heads about lake access with our recent warm up. We had planned on bringing up a wheelhouse

Best advice is call the resorts. As of last night out in front of our place all was good yet. not much snow left on the ice anymore. This weekend will be the biggest wait and see though, then back to normal temps. Still plenty of houses left out on the resort roads yet.

We are in rivers bend now, this is the last weekend for them and many others. Adrians road is destroyed... we were out near Knights, took well over an hour to get there. Probably won't go back today, it's just too much on the Tahoe.

We have arrived and set up for some pike action today. I've heard through the grapevine that swift and a few other landings closed or are very sketchy. We came out from springsteel today. Lots of ice,landing was OK with some standing water but wasn't bad coming out. Some nice fish have been caught around here these past few days! Hopefully they cooperate with us this weekend. Will keep updating as I get more reports from other anglers in the area. Wish us luck!!

Thanks 565 was thinking of running up but bailed due being worried about getting on the ice, love being on the ice with tip-ups when its 50 degrees!!!

Can't beat it mn fan! We had a good day today. Caught a few fish n had a great time. Nice to get out of your normal element. If I was planning a trip this weekend I would definitely come. The ice is still good. Gotta play it safe of course and use common sense!

How's ice? I have reservation next Thursday at borderview they are not sure if will be cancelled how's ice what guys think? How's fishing ?

Just got home from low Swift Ditch is closed went on there this morning about 6 in of water no current came off at 5 and a foot and a half of water and a pretty good flow. and it was all the way out to 12. How quick things change. There is good ice out there just getting to it. Had a few flags today caught 2 both 26in. in 4.6-5.6 fow.

Stay Safe Good Luck

Bear55

Plenty of ice by springsteel. Still need an extension to get through, very little to no snow. Ridges are separating so be careful when venturing out!

Nice day today. I'd expect a few more landings to close tomorrow with the warm up coming. Slow this morning with only a few flags and small fish. Waiting for the big boys to start any time now. Get out while u can but be safe about it!

Yes it is a public access. Haven't been there yet but I hear its closed. Warroad and springsteel are still open I do believe. Check with your resort if your being guided before you come

Swift Ditch access is off of CR. 12 about a 1/2 mile east of CR 2 on your left.Fished weds. to fri. weds was proably the best day many flags caught 4- 24- 28in went out to the breaker in 15 fow hoping for an eve. bite got 1 tulli 2 jp 12 walls biggest was 12in so all fish were put back. Also that was out of Springsteel. Thurs. went out of Warroad it was pretty good fishing was slower many flags got 2 . Things can change real quick out there.

Stay Safe Good Luck

Bear55

• 2 weeks later...

Darn nice one too Hoey, Good going.

Quite a few more reports of them things showing up on the westside this winter. I managed to luck into one last fall on the sandbar and I know another character who was getting them pretty regular around Rudies during October.

I'm kinda planning on some prespawn/spawn time Crappie searching by Boat this year. I do know of a coupla Warroad area dock and shore spots to get them if you hit 'em with the right timing, but this year I'm gonna do a bit of exploring in the Warroad river and up around Elm creek in the boat come early may to see iffin I can maybe pinpoint locations and a pattern. I'm certainly no Wizard of Crappie catching but I'm gonna find a few more spots where they go to do their thing this year... Hopefully !!!

fiskyknut

Fisky - I have gotten into crappie around docks on the river before. It would sure add a dimension to fishing if they were to start showing up more in the large southern basins.

Was at the Lake Thurs to Sun, fished Fri and Sat. The snowmobile trails were in remarkable, good condition Thurs and Fri. On Sat they were getting slushy. It rained early Sun morning. No snow left on shore. No snow left on the ice. Winds were manageable on Sat, but on Sun it must have been nearly unbearable. There was an interesting halo-rainbow effect surrounding the sun on Sat around 1100am or so. Fishing was good, catching was slow. The bottom foot or so of ice has deteriorated as the auger tore right through it. Above that, the ice is solid. There were some active cracks, but nothing too wide.

• 1 month later...

Dumped the boat in off the Point in Warroad on Sunday and was pretty suprised to see how low the lake is. What a difference a year makes. Had to climb down the side of the dock into the boat where last year water filled barrels were sitting on top to hold them down. Had to idle out about 2 miles in water depths between 1.5-2' before it started dropping off and i dared pulling up on plane. Did touch bottom with the lower unit on a couple occasions. At any rate, please be patient this weekend and be as careful as possible. Shouldnt need "no wake" signs to remind everyone to use common sense. Good Luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is the most current LOTW control board water level chart.

It definately shows that it's low. Approximately 1 foot of water would put it back in the 50th percentile.

So it's about 1 foot low from historical norm for this time of the year.

full-27252-53213-lakelevel.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has everyone quit fishing? Sure quiet on here. Well, here is a report: dirty dirty dirty water along a good stretch of the south shore. Still a few fish to be caught, but did I mention dirty? You have to go a good ways west or north to get some cleaner water. Today at 10:30 there were 7 boats out in front of the gap. Memorial Day, light winds, cloudy and 7 boats.  Maybe a dozen in the Morris Pt area. On the other hand, there were probably 50 anchored on the Knight Shoal area yesterday morning. Fishing was pretty good in the clean water area. It appeared all the charters were way north. Water temps are getting to the high 50's. Hope the lake cleans up real soon or there probably won't be a decent south shore bite again. Friday morning water clarity was a few inches in the washout area. Today closer to a foot. But not good.

Good luck to all.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was up last week on Tuesday and Wednesday after Memorial Day. Fishing was OK. Caught lots of fish but mostly small walleyes and saugers. Only about a dozen in the slot with the biggest being 25". Had a hard time finding nice eater sized fish. We did get our limit for 3 people and ate some fish up there but we had to kind of lower our self-imposed size minimum. Usually we keep nothing under 15 inches but we did end up keeping a half dozen or so between 14-15 inches. Where are all the nice 16-19 inch fish? Of our 12 walleyes that we took home only 3 were over 16 inches. Quite a change from years past. No real big walleyes either. Usually we get at least one walleye over 27 inches when we go up around Memorial Day. Not so this year. Like others have stated, the water clarity was not good. We were over by Long Point (as usual) and the clarity was probably 1ft to maybe 2ft at best. Generally it's twice that much this time of year. Maybe that is why the fishing wasn't as good as we were expecting? Still a ton of fun and we hit fantastic weather. Low to mid 70's and light winds each day. Can't ask for better weather than that. I will be back up with 4 other guys in two weeks. Hopefully the water clarity improves as does the fishing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Fished Thursday afternoon and Friday. Thursday was pleased to find some clean water in front of the gap and a very good bite going on. Big, little and nice fish caught. Oddly, the water was still dirty in front of the washout. Hope the clean water stays. Fished north on Friday and the bite continues very good. Only fished jigs/frozen shiners. Surface temps were in the low sixties yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Three Mankato West High School classmates joined me this past weekend.  We fished Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  

All days were good for catching.  We caught fish everywhere we went.  Challenge is to find the nice sized keepers.  We had roughly 10 keepers per day and had fish dinner on Friday and Saturday.  Each day we had a couple in the 19" range, a couple 18's, a couple 17s, and some 15 to 16 inchers.  So a good variety of keepers.  All days we were off the lake by 4pm.  Friday we ran out of bait.  Maybe due to a miss count from the beginning.  

Saturday and Sunday were breezy to say the least, sustained winds around 20mph with 30mph gusts.  It was the biggest waves/rollers I have ever fished in, but the warmer temps and the sun made it somewhat more bearable and my new 21 foot Ranger is remarkable.  

We lost a Cannon camera somewhere in or around the Arnesen fish cleaning shack on Friday late afternoon.  Please contact me if you know about this.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

great fishing report. Me and my two boys will be up sat sun and Monday maybe see you then.

Hey Terry - good to hear from you again.  My camera was turned into the office at Rocky Point.  

I was up last weekend, breezy both Fri and Sat.  Fished Swift to Lamberston's area on Fri and bounced around the reefs on Sat.  Found fish around the south side of Gull, west end of N Arnesen, and west side of 16.  I will not be there this weekend.  Next weekend I will there with my family to celebrate my birthday and wrap-up summer with the kids. Good Luck!!!  Report back.

Hi  Hoey, sorry we won't see you thanks for the report I just hope the weather cooperates will report back.

Hoey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY

• Thumbs Up 1

Fished last Friday, Sat, Sun.  Started out down rigging about 10 miles from Morris Pt on Fri in 35ft and found a few but a lot of small throwbacks.  Sat and Sun made the run to Garden and found a lot of fish from the west point to Starren Shoal.  Nice 15-20inch fish with 6 slots.  Sunday was up around four block and had a lot of action pulling spinners from 10-20 fow.  Weather and fishing was great.

• Thumbs Up 2