• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Fished with 5 other guys out from Pine Island on Saturday. The earlier posts say that there are tons of little fish to pick through and that was what we also found in that area. We were in 25 fow. The biggest we caught was about 15 inches. Out of about 80 or so fish caught, we had a total of about 3 walleye and the rest sauger.

Last week I spent four days out there and it was probobly the best bite I've ever had. In four days we easily caught over 200 fish between the two of us out of Pine Island. Fishing was really hot on Christmas eve right before we left and the storm was rolling in. I also caught my first sturgeon from the lake. I did'nt get a measurement but we figure it to be pretty close to 40" and took me about 15 minuites to get in on 6 LB line. We id'nt get any real big walleyes but got one about 25" and caught quite a few nice slot fish around 17". We also got a few bonus fish, A couple perch, a tullibe and almost a dozen pout. I cant wait to get back up there in a couple weeks. I just hope that the drive home is a little better. It took us almost 7 hours to get from baudette to my buddies in St.Cloud on Christmas eve.

Went out of Adrians yesterday past Pine in about 28-29 fow. Caught fish throughout the day but mostly small ones. For six guys we kept 15. Dead shiners to chubs were 1:1. Jigging out fished the dead sticks 4:1. Moved in to 18' fow at 2:30 and didn't graph a fish. However, the road is in good shape. Hard drifts are plenty so keep a shovel handy if you venture off the beaten path. Anyone have any reports for Babbler's on road and fishing conditions?

Fished Adrian's Monday/Tuesday...Monday in 29' was slow--caught a few small ones and one 22"...Tuesday was better in 27'...lots of small ones and between the two of us we kept 12--nothing really large though and almost all of them were saugers 12-14"

First time on LOW. Was out of Zipple Bay Resort from Monday afternoon to Wednesday morning and did pretty good. We were in 18-19 ft of water. We caught 18 walleyes and 3 sauger. Biggest walleye was 23.5 inches at 1:30 in the morning on a rattle reel. That was fun. We also missed probably 10 bites. Most fish were between 14-18.5 inches. It was a great time and I'd definitely recommend anyone going out of Zipple Bay.

Went out of Arnesen's from Sunday till Tuesday. On Sunday and Monday it was going fantastic. Each day we caught over 70 fish with my 6 year old son catching his first 19 1/2" walleye. He was so proud that he set the hook and reeled it in all by himself. On Monday I CPR'd a 28" that was just fat as could be. On Tuesday it seemed to slow down but we still caught over 40 fish. We were in 25 - 27 feet of water. Ton's of smaller Sauger 10-12" not the size I would keep but the lake looks like it will have a fantastic sauger bite in a year or two.

We were up there Saturday-Tuesday out of Zippel Bay. Bite was on to say the least. Really tough to fish two lines at times. Best time seemed to be 8:30-10:30. Same stuff as usual, pink demons and glow red rattlin varmints. Doesn't hurt to have a chubby darter or angel eye to mix it up once in a while.

Was excellent first 3 days, slowed down on Tuesday a bit, biters turned to lookers. Must be a billion little saugers down there. Big fish of the trip were a 28 1/2 and a 30 1/4 that was an absolute pig. Great time.

The last I heard, Richard was only allowing sled's and 4 wheeler's to go out. He has some nasty crack's that he want's to deal with before he let's truck's and car's go out. 1DIRTBALL

zipple bay mon-wednesday fishing was alright we caught around 37 fish nothin.few nice eyes and saugers. but i know next week im moving my house to freshin up the holes.

Im headed up the 22nd, going out of walleyeretreat, i cant find any info from them on here, anyone with any info please post it as im starting to twitch from the exitement of reading all these other posts. I cant wait.

just got back from zippel. fished a few hours tuesday, all day wednesday and all day thursday. group of 10 and we limited out on walleyes. most fish we caught were in 16'. caught a few out at 23' including a 27"er i got on a rattle reel. that was fun! we didn't get one keeper sauger. they were all under 12".

Fished monday and tuesday out of Adrians and just got around to making a report finally. Fished out in 24ft during morning and day with consistent action mainly small saugers but kept your eyes glued to the graph. Plenty of walleyes mixed in with most between 15-18.5. Fished in 13 fow for the evening bite and had a good flurry of all walleyes between 15-21 but it was a fairly short bite. Had no trouble getting our limit with gold/chart/glow red being the hot colors for our group. About 80% of fish caught by jigging and I used darters most of the time with good results and no need to throw bait on. Shinners were also outfishing the fatheads

Good luck for everyone heading up looks like its going to get cold up there hope to make it out again this year sure is fun fishing!

Im headed up the 22nd, going out of walleyeretreat, i cant find any info from them on here, anyone with any info please post it as im starting to twitch from the exitement of reading all these other posts. I cant wait.

We have been using them for the last five years and have always had pretty good luck. Go to their website or email Pete and Terri. They had someone catch a 32" out of one of the houses last week (pic on their site). Sounds like everyone has been catching fish according to the report on their website which is updated every couple days. We are heading up the weekend before you go so I will post our results when we get back. We usually stay in one of their sleeper houses which are in really nice shape and have an indoor crapper for those 40 below mornings. If you are staying in their sleepers make sure you ask for the one with the stove in it. Also bring along scented candles to leave burning in the bathroom. Eveyone in the house will thank you! smile

we fished over new years and caught plenty of fish,i think the count was 71 but only keeped 7 fish,most of the fish were all saugers about 10 inches,we did get 1 the was 29 inches on wed.congrats matt and your first trophy

we fished monday tuesday wensday out of long point, man did we smack them. ice 93 on monday 90 something on tuesday and 74 on wensday it was awesome fishing, this was for three guys, pink and red were best colors and being on the right spot really helped smile all the eyes weere between 15-19 with 3 over 21. lost a bunch of nice ones. sent alot of them beautiful slot fish back.... we did get into the saugers in the afternoons, most of them were between 12-15 inches. all in all great trip and can't wait to head back in january... make sure you guys are pounding them spoons on the bottom... really makes the difference!! good luck

Just got back from fishing 12/31 - 1/3 out of Zippel Bay and it was the best LOW trip we have had yet. We were in 30' and the action was steady. We caught about 15 walleyes from 13" - 18.5" with our two largest being 22.5" and 26.5", along with many sauger. Most of our fish came off of jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head but we did catch a bunch of fish on minnow/bobber and we didn't seem to see a difference between fatheads and shiners. We really thought the cold weather would have slowed down the fishing but it didn't seem to bother. Travel was not too bad as long as you could find a place to get off of the roads. Fishing was so good I am really hoping to get up there again this year.

Just got back from low Out of Morris Point Ice was great 18"-24'and hard as hell. Started out on the 1st in 30' water very slow one 14" and a few smaller . moved on the 2nd to 26' And still slow from 2pm to the next day sunday the 3rd .

but from 8-10 it wasn;t to bad Got 1-18"-1-16" 1-14" That was the big one but there was a few more smaller that we threw back

Still fun but cold as hell -25 out there

Just got back from low Out of Morris Point Ice was great 18"-24'and hard as hell. Started out on the 1st in 30' water very slow one 14" and a few smaller . moved on the 2nd to 26' And still slow from 2pm to the next day sunday the 3rd .

but from 8-10 it wasn;t to bad Got 1-18"-1-16" 1-14" That was the big one but there was a few more smaller that we threw back

Still fun but cold as hell -25 out there

Ya I was up there out of Morris Point for the new year weekend and had the same results. Moved a couple times, from out deep to more and more shallow, but fishing was really slow. Caught a bunch of little saugers and did catch a nice 17 1/2 Walleye. Lost 2 at the top of the hole that were nice also. This Cold weather and High Pressure wasn't helping. I talked with a bunch of people and they had the same results. Not sure what these other guys are talking about with there Best LOW trip ever lol. Seems like they are google post bots to me cause I think i've seen the same post like 5-10 times once a week.

I fished over new years with my wife and it was the best walleye fishing I have ever had on lake of the woods but the worst saugar fishing. I would catch at least 20 walleyes a day from 13" to 20" and only about 10 saugers all under 12"

Fished 1/1-1/3. It was cold fishing out of porty's! Went out of Adrians. Started in 30ft as we did not drill a hole until 10am. Lots of little saugers, but did manage to get a respectable pail. We moved shallower as the day moved on, picking up a few in 23ft as the sun hit the trees. Saturday we started and stayed in 30ft. Bite was good from 10-2, but real quiet otherwise. Plenty for our fish fry at Ballards. First time we stayed there-very impressed. Sunday we only fished a few hours in the morning before heading back. Set up in 20ft and caught some very nice fish-mostly walleye but a few sauger as well. It was hard to move from shallow to deep and back shallow again as the day progressed due to the temps, but it definately is a proven pattern. Red rattlin flyer was our go to bait and atleast 3/4 of our fish were on the jiggin rod.Good luck!

Did yearly New Years trip 31st to 3rd. Went out of Zipple Bay this year and have to say we had to work for the fish we caught. We figured the cold and high pressure system had everything to do with the slow fishing over the weekend. We stopped at Morris, Wigwam, Sportsmans and talked with crew and guests, and the story was the same. We took home a couple limits, walleye's were 18 1/2", 16 1/2", 16", 15", 14" the smallest,and threw back about 15 sauger. I would have to say if you caught 20 or more walleyes a day you were the exception. But I still believe the worst day fishing is still better that the best day working.

frogs-

i stayed at that 27 foot mark it was phenominal. good late afternoon bite too.. never moved shallow.

Happy New Year to all!!

We have been fishing the Long Point area as of late and the fishing has been really good even through this cold snap. Our shallow water bite kind of slowed down so we moved deeper, appr. 28ft. and the fishing has been real good the past five days. Most days you sort through those smaller saugers but the last few days we haven't seen much of them. We have caught some dandy 17"-18 1/2" walleyes and a few jumbo perch as well. Biggest walleye caught by our groups last weekend was a 25". Best presentation for us has been the Lindy Rattlin Flyer tipped with a fathead but honestly when the vexilar lights up everything in the houses catches fish, even the rattle reels which by the way the 25" walleye came off of. The weather is cold but the fish are biting! Check out our website for some last weekend pictures!

Jason

www.hardwateradventures.com

[email protected]

If i were to do it all over again i would bring a portable, so you could move around a bit, everyone i talked to this past weekend fishing was poor a lot of very small saugers 7-10 " had to keep 7 small fish friday which were to small to keep ! 1 walleye and 1 big eel pout that we ate that nite, saturday was a little slower kept 5 small saugers 1 decent walleye 23 " atleast the tiny saugers kept you awake! we were in 28- 29 ft of water.

Fished 1/2-1/3. Plenty of dink saugers and only 2 walleyes, largest at 13". Saugers kept us busy.

Fished Long point Jan 1 and 2 2 of us Caught about 45 Walleye and Sauger on the 1st and about 30 on the second biggest walleye was 21" most of the fish were Sauger about 10-12" caught 1 big Pout about 8 pounds and saw a large Northere just under the hole over 28 feet of water. Used Chris Ford Guide service best guide we ever fished with top notch all the way. He was planning on moving his houses however as the resort plowed roads in between his perms on Saturday afternoon during the hot bite....unbelievable.... slowed the bite for us on Saturday afternoon as compared to Friday! Big lake though and he knows it well he will find another hot bite elsewhere.

Fished out of Long Point today in 27' of water. Finished the day a couple of saugers short of a limit. Lots of nice 14"-18" walleyes with plenty of little saugers to keep busy between the keepers. Also managed 2 bonus perch and a pout. The hot lures were a pink rattle spoon and a blue jigging rap, and shiners definitely outfished the fatheads. Plenty of fish would come up to look at the fatheads, but more would come up to strike the shiners. Beautiful day in a beautiful place.

Fished out of Morris Point yesterday. Shiners did best, pink/red glow, about 20ft in AM, yielded nice walleyes. Moved out to 30ft around 11am and it was slow. White jig with shiners did the best. I will say this...I fished fatheads and my buddy fished shiners....he iced 9 to my 1....so bring shiners!!!