• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

In a nutshell, fishing LOW is day to day on success. 1 day you can limit out in 3-4 hours for a group. The next day may be like the dead sea, you catch 10 fish all day and only keep 2. Or the next day may be 60 fish but all little guys, and you still only keep 2. The most consistant bite has been on the reefs or farther north. The north reefs fromn Adrian's road have really started biting heavy. The reefs by Arneson's have been decent, You will catch fish just depending on the day and location. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Don't believe anything in my post said to cancel a trip. Everybody has to make their own choices as to what is good for them. Personally I would not cancel, but lets be brutally honest that fishing has not been as good as past years. But that's fishing. The Angle has been hot, talked to guys at Red lake Thursday and they had a great trip to the angle. Was on Red three weeks go great fishing, this trip was much slower: a bad trip?, hell no there is no such thing as a bad trip. Gotta dangle your minnow if you hope for a bite......hope everybody kicks butt this weekend .... cool

Weather,weather,weather, did 4 trips so far and havent killed them like last year, but I always got a limit.That lake is the BEST lake in the state for fishing. Go, and have fun, fish hard and you will do fine.

The pandemic of suggesting that people cancel their reservations because fishing isn't as good as last year is sickening. Its obviously affecting people's decisions and for no good reason. Telling people that they wouldn't go themseves, and telling people to cancel ther plans is two vastly different things.

The ones it really huts is the would-be first timers. Why would someone want to go up there if they could do the same near home. Well that simply isn't true. Bad day on LOW (or Red) is probably going to be better than most places in the state.

Alright, we're going to pack some extra steaks, poker chips and a few more beers. I'm sure it will be a great time as always. Might offer our guide a couple hundred extra $ to pull the sleeper to a better area... Will report back!

Shiltsy: sounds like a great plan, just don't burn those steaks, course a little extra char isn't all bad...looking for your report

talked to a guy today who was out of arnesons last week with 3 others.. 2 days fishing and 140 + fish for 4 guys.. Even if they werent all keepers or whatever thats still phenomenal for walleyes.. try doing that around here!! A guy is lucky to get 2-3 eyes a day!! Don't know about anyone else, but I personally wouldnt mind catching 140 in 2 days, even if they were all small!!.. As long as the bobber goes down once in awhile I'm happy, and its not just about being successful, it's time away to relax as well.. Just my 2 cents worth

Teejay, you are right on. Every time that bobber slides down the hole you never know what's on the business end. Gotta have the little ones today if you want big ones tomorrow. 140 in two days, pretty good time

Me and my grandson Josh went out tonite from 3:30 till 5:30 we caught 30 eyes kept our 8 nice keepers, didnt matter what we had on chubs frozen shiners jigs spoons. biggest 22". 21 ft in front of gap Steve@logcabinbait

fished out of zippell friday and part of sat.caught about 30 on friday kept 6 keepers was pretty steady out in 27 ft all day moved into 15 ft and caught 2 more keeper walleyes .sat morning had a good one on but my line broke and my favorite rattlin flyer gone 15 minutes later my wife catches a nice wallye and yes my rattlin flyer was still in his mouth too!!had to raise line up and get them to chase it but kept us busy now home waiting for the storm We had a wonderful annual anniversary trip and yes she out fished me again.

Yesterday our group of 4 took portables up north to west Glenn reef. Fishing was good caught a pile of nice fish. Saugers were 14 to 16" and walleyes were 16 to 19". We fished till 2:30 then rode back to elm point and picked up 5 more nice walleyes in 15 ft of water. 36 total for the day. One 25" slot walleye, and my buddy lost another at the hole. Today our group fished gull rock in "the grain bin" and our ice castle. Fishing was slow but we got 7 saugers and 2 19" walleyes. If anyone has a trip planned don't cancel just because you are reading that fishing is bad. There are fish to be caught and memories to be made. Good Luck fishing to all..

Ran to Knight, Bridges, Garden and Hay Islands today on sleds. Had about 30 "fishy" waypoints picked out last night to run and gun.

We rode cross country from Gull Rock - lots of broken and heaved ice as we crossed the lake. We were able to run about 30 mph and when we bobbed and weaved the rough ice the ride was actually pretty good.

We kept 10 fish for 2 guys, caught maybe 25?. Released a 20" and 2-21's. Tried next to the reefs, on the reefs, in the mud a few miles out from the reefs in many different locations. Bounced around to 12 different spots trying to find an above average bite. Unfortunately we didn't find one spot that was head and shoulders above the others as it was average or less everywhere we tried. In summary, we worked quite a bit harder than usual to find fish and ultimately it ended as a very grind it out day.

Saw many groups on sleds bouncing around. Overheard a few groups discussing their fishing struggles. Heard from a few that fishing was decent in spots the past few days, your classic "should have been there yesterday" line.

We can honestly say we busted tail for fish today with limited catching success. However, we learned a lot about these areas and have better ideas for next time.

Still looking for the 2012-2013 LOTW ice fishing pot of gold. Came pretty easy last year on multiple occassions, quite spotty this year.

Going to River Bend next weekend, no matter what, it will be a great trip. Bringing up two rookies, we will have a great time.

Going to River Bend next weekend, no matter what, it will be a great trip. Bringing up two rookies, we will have a great time.
I was up there last weekend and had a rookie with me. He didnt do well the first day, but kept 4 fish the second. He had a BLAST.As a group we did fine. One more great trip to that lake was had again.

I got back from LOTW yesterday. We fished off of Adrian's road and the fishing was definitely slow. We actually decided to come back a day early and beat the bad weather.

The only decent reports that I heard were from guys that took the bambadiers up north to the reefs. For any one going up there, I would recommend spending the extra $ and fishing the reefs.

I have been fishing lake of the woods for over 30 years last year was a good fall shiner run which drawed in a lot of fish which made good winter fishing which spoiled a lot of anglers catching a 100 or more fish in a weekend I have seen many years just like this year that the fish have lock jaws but its just in the fun of getting away from everything and being on the hard water.

Fished out of Rocky point Saturday afternoon & this morning.

One little fish up the hole then back down. It was kind of a work trip so I didn't fish real hard. Dropped lines & fixed.

A few others in the area are having slightly better luck than recently but still on the slow side. Maybe we hit the turning point & it'll pick up.

I moved my house to a different spot & headed home around noon today.

oh yeah. I better finish my report. grin

29-5/8" of ice where I had my house.

Made it out of babblers sat best day bite i have in a while didn't start fishing till 1000 steady action till 445. Ended with 3 eyes 3 saugs all 15-19 and 2 beautiful perch for one guy. Marked alot probably caught 50%, lots of fish cruising thru guessing tullies. 34 feet red glow rattling flyer and a orange gama hook for the deadstick.

Does babbler have the road plowed out to 16 mile? Is there a lot of snow on the lake or can you drive around once you get off the road? Coming up Thursday night and looking to get my house out there.

yes to 16.

I pulled my big skid house around but I've been accused of being extreme at times.

Travel is getting tough. The drifts & broken ice will get ya. That or you might spin out on someones bathroom bag they tossed on their way off the ice.

Road is out to 16 mile and yes, off-road travel is do-able.

We missed the bulk of the snow up here. There are spots that you will get stuck, but it isn't impossible.

or you might spin out on someones bathroom bag they tossed on their way off the ice.

Is that why you had to burn your truck when you got home from the lake?

Yes. I wasn't going to tell the story but the cat is out of the bag now.

I'm cruising around the lake in my truck looking for some structure to fish over. I had tire chains on to make travel a little easier. Well anyway I hit a big drift where a wheel house had spent a bunch of time so I poured the coals to er! The turbo spooled up & the tires chains began to sing

I tell ya what. Those chains do a number on the refuse bags when they connect. It even wrapped up in the driveshaft and made a heck of a mess as it flung around. After hitting every carwash on the way home I figured it was just easier to burn the truck than try to clean all that stuff off.

Those guys must not have read the sign on the landing about keeping it clean out there. How would you like if one of your kids swam into that bag on the beach this summer or if it came up wrapped around a trophy walleye?

Note: Although based on a true story, some parts may have been fabricated for dramatic effect.

That explains why I had to burn my truck yesterday. I went to the carwash, must have been the one you used.....

I burned my truck in my driveway.

When the fire finally went out, the dog rolled in the ashes.

Then I had to shoot the dog.

I had a special permit from a top secret CO though.

So it was all legal.

Note: I also have stretched the truth on some or all of these accounts....

Jerkbait, I am at home....on Lake of the Woods, My post in no way was negative of anysort to us locals. I enjoy the lake too even when not catching fish. The way people defend the lake like its a living person I tease that they must be getting kickbacks from the chamber of commerce!! I only stated facts that the lake has not been on par with previous years. I am fishing the lake 3 days a week (in different locations as well) and unless you have some magic mystery solution, you are cataching less fish like me this year.....

I think one thing you have to consider...slow for lake of the woods is still probably much better than most other lakes smile Conditions permitting, I'll be up there the 3rd week of march.

Been saying that for years. This year has been slower for me but we have still gotten what we were looking for. Last year was stellar for me up there so it makes it seem worst this year but in the grand scope of the 16 years I have been fishing it is still pretty decent. Lots of weather systems rolling through and that is the biggest killer up there and will assure a slower bite.

No one told people to stay home,but on to my TRUTHFUL report, maybe I'm not as good as some fisherman, but this was my experience......fished west side of lake on reef all last weekend in 22 FOW, ended up with 2 keepers for 3 of us. Many dinks....My buddies house also did poor, one pike and maybe 2 or 3 keepers Mostly used plain red hooks and threw everything at them jigging...hopefully lake will pick up here if the weather will stabilize...

I don't feel so bad about having about the same luck every weekend.

I did find a new hotspot on Sunday & it was rocking!

If any of you know where my house is, that's not the spot. It's somewhere else.