• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

I don't think it is possible to be 150 yards from shore at Rocky Point with open water, it gets a little deeper out there... wink

I think he is talking about the beach south of the resort. You can walk a 1/2 mile out there and barely go over your waist most years.

Why is it almost daily someone has to tell another poster what he or she is doing is illegal, immoral or just plain wrong. Why can't people read and keep their comments to themselves and let the CO's take care of the wrong doers?

For the first time in over a week, the sky is clear and MODIS finally has a clear shot of the state. It looks like there is still a fair amount of ice on the big lake but there is plenty of open water. Come on south wind for the weekend! I want to take a boat ride and put the smack down on some walleyes this weekend.

Why is it almost daily someone has to tell another poster what he or she is doing is illegal, immoral or just plain wrong. Why can't people read and keep their comments to themselves and let the CO's take care of the wrong doers?

X2

Hope you were on the ice. Fun as it may be, you do realize that riding your ATV in the water/on the lake bottom is illegal, right?

From page 8 of the OHV regulations:

Public waters where OHVs may not ride include: below the ordinary

high-water level of unfrozen lakes, rivers, and streams; certain wetlands; or in calcareous fens. The inventory of public waters can be viewed on DNR’s website; DNR Waters and Fisheries offices; and various county offices.

From page 16:

Where You May NOT Ride

Also see specific sections for additional restrictions.

You may not operate an off-highway vehicle:

• on the median of a four-lane highway

• within the right-of-way of any interstate highway or freeway

• on the right-of-way between opposing lanes of traffic

• on grant-in-aid snowmobile trails

• on designated non-motorized trails

• at airports

• below the ordinary high-water level of unfrozen public waters that are lakes, streams, rivers, and certain wetlands, or in calcareous fens

• on any frozen public waters where you don’t have legal access or where it is prohibited

• in any area restricted by local ordinances or municipalities, including streets

• in a tree nursery or planting area on state forest lands that are posted or designated closed to motorized uses (see pages 19-23)

• on agricultural land without permission (see page 26)

• in most state parks, state recreation areas, state historic sites, wildlife management areas*, state scientific and natural areas with the exception of posted trails and areas.

*OHV use is prohibited on wildlife management areas, except OHVs that are licensed highway motor vehicles may be operated on established roads at speeds up to 20 miles per hour in the following WMA’s: Carlos Avery, Hubbel Pond, Mille Lacs, Red Lake, Roseau River and Thief Lake.

Really? Nine posts into your career here and you're the OHV moral and legal riding manual? WOW. HE WAS 150 YARDS OFFSHORE!! So, unless his name is RACE BANNON and he had one of Dr. Quest's cool inventions, I'm going with he was on top of the ice.

Flew over the lake Wednesday morning and there was lot of ice just out from the gap. This am, with the south east winds, no ice within sight out of the gap until after lunch when you could see it piling a little over towards Long Point. Lots of water and LOTS of fish. And one does not have to fish with the pod to catch quality fish. And one does not need bait. Caught more fish on plastics then the standard go-to bait.

Lots of open water when we got home last night. Satellite shows a lot of open water also. With the wind today I think it will be all over except for a few little ice cubes floating around and the piles of ice on the sand bars.

Flew over the lake Wednesday morning and there was lot of ice just out from the gap. This am, with the south east winds, no ice within sight out of the gap until after lunch when you could see it piling a little over towards Long Point. Lots of water and LOTS of fish. And one does not have to fish with the pod to catch quality fish. And one does not need bait. Caught more fish on plastics then the standard go-to bait.

Just curious, where you fishing the river or the big lake? I am heading up next friday/saturday and plan on hitting the rocky point area.

We were fishing the lake. Too crowded in the river and even in spots on the lake. smile

We fished Saturday on the lake , in the bay and up the river. It was cold, wet & windy. We caught a few and saw a few caught. I was glad to get the boat out and make sure everything is working but we could have picked a better day.

I am assuming all the ice ice off by now? Planning on fishing friday and saturday around rock point area. Anybody been out there yet? Where is a good place to fish this time of year? My first thought is to anchor and vertical jig the reefs and twin islands???

Ice is off. I'd try what you think. I did hear from an unreliable source that someone didn't have much luck at Twin Islands last weekend. But if I were to go, thats where I'd try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all! Just a side note...I am no longer with the Wigwam Resort. I know that I've been gone for a while, but I have found my way back with a new venture and fully intend to keep providing in depth fishing reports on Fishing Minnesota. I hope that you each enjoy the new journey and the next adventure of the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman.

Any reports coming from Wheeler's Point? Will be up on Sunday for the day. Thanks!!

Just was out on Saturday and boated 4 Sturgeon, biggest was 62 inches! We had our best success in 26 foot of water right out from Ballards. With that said, there were plenty of fish being caught from Wheelers Point all the way down to the church.

Happy Fishing and God Bless!

Just thought I'd throw this on here, because it was on Lake of the Woods! My first ever Lake Trout fishing experience, and it won't be the last! Just an FYI guys and gals, I have my Canadian work permit and am able to run my guide service in Minnesota and Canada. With that said, if you want to jump in the boat and have the Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman take you to some of my favorite little honey holes this summer, please book your trip today! www.lakeofthewoodsoutdoorsman.com or email [email protected].

(click link above to view YouTube Video)

Lake of the Woods will never stop challenging and surprising you!!!

Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman...Jean-Paul Tessier

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday went out of Warroad. Due to strong winds fish the south shore only. Manage to limit out but had to really work for them. We drifted using shiners or worms. Shiners seem to work the best. Fish were caught at 11 to 15 feet. Water temp was 54 degrees. Good luck fishing

Started fishing at 10:00 a.m. in 21 to 24' anchored and jigging with live shiners out of Zipple. Saturday am was awesome, three saugers to every one walleye and only every 4th or 5th walleye was over 7". Could not believe how many 5-7" walleyes we caught. Quit around 1:30 with 7 walleyes, 15 saugers and 2 perch. Fished Sunday from 6:00 - 9:30 a.m., same as Saturday, came in with 12 walleyes, 10 saugers and 1 perch. Tried for the last few to fill limits in the afternoon but only managed 1 walleye and 4 suagers, really slowed down. Saugers were nice size, similar to the hard water season, biggest was 16.5". Threw back two slots, 21 and 22. Pink/White, Green/Gold and Perch color jigs seems to work best for walleyes. Orange/Gold was a sauger magnet. Be back up to Zippel for the week of June 10th. Bought shiners right at the resort, $5/very generous scoop from Deanna.

Fished out of the lighthouse gap in 22-23' of water. Good action Sat morning but it came and went. Had a couple of big flurries of action and then it would slow down. Ended up with limits of saugers and walleyes. Saw quite a few people chumming but it didn't necessarily equate to them catching more fish. smile

After stuffing ourselves of fish so we could go back out Sunday it was a little slower and bigger waves. Managed to pick up 6 more before we had to go. Gold was the hottest by far, only used frozen shiners. Lots of little fish and had 4 slots, 26" being the biggest.

From my personal experience, you can't put a pinpoint on depth...they get there when they get there. For example last year we had a later spawn and the fish where still in the Rainy River, Four Mile Bay and just inside Lighthouse Gap. This year the spawn was a bit earlier and the fish had moved out a bit quicker. Every year is different, but the only constant is that there's tons of Walleyes up here! I hope this helped to answer your question...Happy Fishing and God Bless!

Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman

It just doesn't get any better than sharing the boat with a few good friends. I'm sure there are plenty of you out there that can relate.

Just another awesome day of fishing on the Walleye Capital of the World!

It sure was awesome May 20th - 27th. We caught our limits on 4 of seven days. Stayed at the Cyrus resort on the West side of four mile bay. (Very nice place)

full-30073-20954-013.jpg

23 incher

full-30073-20955-008.jpg

full-30073-20956-003.jpg

A netfullfull-30073-20957-001.jpg

All in all a great trip and Lake of the Woods is the undisputed Walleye capital of the World!!