• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Just got back from a 5 day adventure smile

We fished out of Morris Point Wednesday through Friday morning. Absolutley killed the saugers with a few eyes mixed in. Lots of fish and they were very aggressive!

After limiting out on Thursday we moved up shallow for the fun of it. We fished 20 feet of water near where they have shacks staged.

Caught some bigger walleyes than we did in deeper water, as well as some nice pike (biggest was 9 pounds). They were a lot of fun on 4lb walleye set-ups smile

Then we drove down to Red and did o.k. on Friday into Saturday morning. The eyes we were catching were smaller than normal, but a guy can't complain if they're biting.....

Saturday morning we drove down to Mille Lacs to meet up with some friends. We caught a few perch, but my buddy cpr'd a 25" and a 27" walleye last night smile

It was a great trip! The Misses held up better than I had thought she would smile

got back from the weekend. Fishing flat out sucked. Barely scratched together a limit of walleye, only two keeper sauger for the group and some tulibees. Marked plenty of fish, they just were not wanting anything we threw at them.

Absolutely demolished the walleyes and saugers yesterday. We actually had to laugh because of how fast we were catching them. It was like they were in a barrel. Seriously. We had to have caught 200 fish and that is probably very conservative. We kept our limits, but we were getting some bonus fish mixed in so we kept fishing. Some real nice walleyes in the slot, a couple giant eelpout and a monster pike that desperately needed jenny craig. There wasnt another house within miles of us. Uncharted territory this year. Flat out awesome. My hands are so cut and scraped they just ake.

I hope all those pressure ridges are not buried under a lot of snow beccause of them are dangers. They have huge blocks of ice that stick straight up into the air. Really have to be careful out there.

Went out of Morris Point the past couple days.. 32 fow lots of smaller fish, nothing larger than 19" mainly saugers. But, able to get out, and fill the limits of myself and 2 other guys each day and lots of fun was had. Very aggressive fish, if you marked them, you caught them.

thanks for the updates i will have to give it a try if i could get a resort with public access it would help alot sure seems that the fishing is awesome how far out is the 30' of water as a rule

A group of us guys just came back from LOW biggest walleye was 25.5in...A lot of smaller ones...Saturday was the slowest day by far, but still caught a lot of fish...Buckshot spoon was working good for me...It was my first trip to LOW and I will definately be back, except I will not be going back to rivers bend resort. Rivers bend was a joke we got to our house and the toilet was plump full of [PoorWordUsage], the guy never knew anything you ask him a question and literally every answer was "I don't know." He told us he would be back in a bit and never come back...Anyone have any resorts they would recommend??

thanks for the updates i will have to give it a try if i could get a resort with public access it would help alot sure seems that the fishing is awesome how far out is the 30' of water as a rule

It all depends where you are fishing out of to hit 30' fow. We were out over three miles in front of Morris to get on some fish. But then we also caught fish just a half mile out too in 20'.

Not sure how far out their road goes out now, but I would guess at least 5 miles? Never drove to the end......

hope the bite does not let off, 10 of us are heading up the last weekend in feb. normally go up earlier, but decieded to try later in the year this go around.

A group of us guys just came back from LOW biggest walleye was 25.5in...A lot of smaller ones...Saturday was the slowest day by far, but still caught a lot of fish...Buckshot spoon was working good for me...It was my first trip to LOW and I will definately be back, except I will not be going back to rivers bend resort. Rivers bend was a joke we got to our house and the toilet was plump full of [PoorWordUsage], the guy never knew anything you ask him a question and literally every answer was "I don't know." He told us he would be back in a bit and never come back...Anyone have any resorts they would recommend??

Try Ballards resort" great ppl and even better service in my opinion!

Went out of zippel last weekend. Had a pretty good weekend and ended up bringing back 50 fish or so between 6 guys. Most were sauger but we managed to get around 8 eyes. Fished from 24 to 32 ft best luck was in 32. Although it seemed like the best strategy was just getting away from the big crowds of people. Had a great time and will probably be back next weekend

Does anyone know how deep they have most of the sleepers out of Zipple? Is there a crowd around these houses? Going this weekend and would like to try to get away from the crowds if that is even an option with the sleepers

The wheel houses like to crowd in on the sleepers just like most resorts. So no matter where Zipple Moves the sleepers the crowd usually follows a short time after. I would suggest bringing portables if you have them and use that during the day and get off the main roads if you can and it is safe. Than once all the portables or day houses come off the lake towards evening get back into the sleepers. We had the best luck moving our wheel house in shallower by finding the depth with Zipples deep sleepers and setting up half way between the shallow sleepers and deep sleepers during the night and using the portables beyond the deep sleepers during the day.

Looking to book a resort next month here for LOTW. First timer so if anyone can provide some input on any good resorts with good customer service and decent pricing please let me know. Thanks!

my girl friend and i went out of adrians. we fished the 19th thru the 22nd. we caught about 130 fish in 4 days saturday was our best day, catching 28 sauger and 12 walleyes. our biggest was 26.5 walleye. we had a great time. me and 6 guys from work are heading up feb 24 hope we do as well then.

fished sat and sun zipple bay. started in 27, moved to 29 feet. ended up pretty meager, 3 guys and 30 fish, 24 keepers. not horrible, but there were others that limited out right away. there is a big pressure ridge at like 27 feet. apparently if you can find a road across it in over 30 fow away from the houses, that's where you want to be. anything glowing and pink worked. helped a ton to have the underwater camera.

1st Time Ice Fishing LOW.. Fished out of Wigwam last week, myself, my son and 3 others. The hospitality couldn't have been any better. They really do have a great crew there led by JP & Briggsy right down to the guides. They were very conscious about making sure we had everything we needed, so i would personally recommend them to anyone who has not had the same experience elsewhere. There was also a couple Bonus hotties in the bar Sunday night watching football. :-) That never hurts. Just for the record though, they weren't biting..

Although the fishing had slowed a bit from previous weeks it was still awesome. 31-32 FOW.. In the 3 days we had 28"-25"-21" Walleyes a few 17-19" and lot's of smaller saugers and walleyes. Lot's of great photos/memeories. Pink charmers-Pink stop signs w/full minnow hooked back towards the tail. The bigger fish seemed to be tight to the bottem. Also caught several smaller fish on plain red hook with a Fathead and bobber. The fish were a bit finiky..Gold Buck shot also caught some fish.

Hope this helps anyone who hasn't made up their mind as to where or if to go..

Adrians all the way told us right where to go went there put our house in line with there's caught 5 fish over 20 inches limited out had a pretty good wkend for our slow it was up there compared to normal

Hi everyone. There is some great information in this thread.

I want to ask the opinions of the group on a place to stay on the MN side of LOTW during the weekend of 2/18. I specifically have some questions on which resort can best accomodate a day bite and a night bite.

In the past, some of us had stayed at Arnesen's and they set us out in in sleepers in 25 to 30 feet of water. The day bite was great but once it got dark there was nothing going on. Is there a place that can accomodate a day bite and night bite? I heard Wheelers' point has night/ sleeper houses and a day house too but the day house is booked. Any other ideas?

Or, is our best bet to stay in a sleeper house in shallower water and use portables to fish the day bite and move into the shallow sleepers for the night? Please let me know. Thanks!

i would say to insure fishing success then sleeper in shallow and use portables if you have the sled or atv to do so. But if you want resort houses then I would go with Zippel Bay resort, they have a night sleeper/deep day house plan.

Great report as usual. Sure would like to have my name on the lure for a birthday gift. Thanks again for a great report.

Hey J.P.,

Enjoyed your video. I'm heading over your way tommorow to enjoy your great fishery. Thanks for stopping into the restaurant when you were in the Falls the other day, enjoyed our chat & glad your doing well.

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

A group of 4 Wheel houses went up Friday morning and caught about 300+ fish between the 12 of us. Fishing was fast and furious Friday afternoon through Sat. morning than it slowed down quite a bit. We were out of Morris Point of on our own West of the road a few miles. The key was Deep and slow presentation (33'). Colors that worked Well: Pink and Green with Gold having mixed results. The fish would come in and hit the set lines if the above colors were not used that had a Red or Pink hook.

just got back fished 2 days , 1 day in 26 fow slow but cot a lot of 10 to 14 inchers than mover the house to 19 fow and cot alot of 14 to 19 inchers with a 27 inch being the biggest , not bad but not fast action ..

2 of us went in wheel house thru Adrians Mon-Tues, bait shop and Adrians said go deep, 8+ miles past islands. Slow. A few 6-9" sauger, a few walleyes in the slot. Talked to people in our area with similiar luck. Went out almost to almost 9 miles second day similiar result. Should have tried 3-4 miles closer perhaps. Good luck out there.