• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Not sure exactly where Bayview is but I'm headed to Ballard"s Resort on Sunday a.m... You are right last yr this time we hit 50* by Red lake on the way up and it was 40's while I was fishing too. This yr sounds like a snowstorm may be in play for Mon-Tues? Oh darn maybe I will get stranded at Ballard's and have to fish more!! lol

Bayview is on the road to Wheeler's Point. It's a mile or two(?) south of Sportsmans' Lodge.

This will be our 3 annual trip up there. Nice cabins and nice owners, not to mention we always catch fish. Although with the weather for the weekend, numbers like last year might be tougher.

Good Luck Teejay!

Brian

Heading up to Border View in the morning. Fishing Friday and Saturday. Had two people bail on me so just my brother and myself fishing. Will have a report when I get back.

Ryan and the crew do a great job over there. Great service and they always have a good handle on the fish. Enjoy your trip!

jp my wife and i are planning a 3 day visit to lotw on the 18th of march ,with our wheel house,usually go out on adrians roads,this is the latest i have ever planned a trip up,what are your thoughts on this time frame this year ? the 10 day forcast shows no above freezing temps but i want advice from someone that is on the lake alot,should we move it a week earlier? thanks we usaully visit wigwam for dinner anything special going on the 18th 19th?thanks keep up the excellent fishing reports i cant even sleep ,with all those walleyes and sauger swimming around in my head at nite laugh

Gigidy, I have drove on the ice with no problem in Mid-April. Last year would have probably been a no go by the 18th with a wheelhouse so it depends on what the big guy throws at us for a Spring. So far its looking good..

Finally it's the weekend and I leave for LOTW on Sunday! Sure hope the fish cooperate, with the big storm thats moving in on Monday-Tues. Any ideas how you think it will affect fishing? Also what is the forecast for up there? I'm 6 hrs south and they are calling for up to 20 more inches of snow here!

We fished out by Garden Wed. & Thurs. with Ballard's. Fair fishing on Wed. and better on Thurs. Some nice walleyes only a couple too big. 30'of water, anything gold seemed to work best and fish real close to the bottom unless you see suspended fish. Ballard's does a nice job, first trip there. 26 miles from the resort to where we fished. Stan C.

you were 26 miles out????? Holy bombardier ride batman!! how long that take you to get to your house? Last yr was my 1st trip to Ballard's and we were in 32 ft but 15 miles out.. that still took us an hr ride!... Gold huh?? Better check my tackle! i have plenty of glo red smile

Heading up next Wednesday to Zippel Bay. Who in the area is carrying emerald shiners? Thanks. grin

All the bait shops will have the frzen shiners. Live ones have been out for awhile.

Actually caught fish on Golden shiners last weekend. Not fast and furious but as many as frozen emeralds caught. Steve at Log Cabin had those.

I have been using the chubs I buy right at Zippel all season long and have had no issue catching fish. The small the minnow, the better from what I have seen.

Just got back from the lake. Fished Friday just north of Pine Island fishing was slow. Two of us fishing kept 12 mostly sauger, highlight was a 32" Pout about 9 lbs. Saturday was up by Knight Island, caught more but mostly sauger again. Only caught 2 fish on dead sticks all weekend. Pounding the bottom to bring them in and light jigging to get em to bite worked the best. I did manage to snag a bottle of scent that someone had dropped down the hole before we got the house.

Fished Zippel Friday Saturday and til noon today 2 guys 71 fish caught mostly smaller sauger, 2 slot fish, Hot Shot road 30'. Lots of ice and snow, loved the Igloo very handy.

I know the igloo has been mentioned before, but I do not what this igloo is. Please explain it. Going up Friday morning and would like to know about this before i get up there.

Its just a huge ice shack shaped like a igloo that serves some food and refresments that you can rent a fishing hole and enjoy yourself.

Just got back from out 3rd annual at Bayview Lodge. We were out about 11 miles off of Pine Island in 34' of water.

On Saturday 6 of us ended up w/ 21, mostly saugers with a couple of walleyes, and 1 sumo perch. Lots of tulibees that were C&R'd. No real hot lure or color. The bite was slow but steady for the most part, although the morning was definitely better. My step son got a 23" walleye for the big fish of the day.

Sunday morning were were in the same house, but only 4 of us as sick kids at home forced my youngest step son and his wife to head for home. We ended the day w/ 15, mostly saugers and a couple of walleyes, better sized fish today. Lots of tulibees again. I was in the lead for big fish of the day with a 17" sauger until my wife iced a nice 25" walleye, her PB.

While the group bobber fished, I jigged various lures giving just about every style of lure in my tackle box a wash. Nothing working better than the next.

28" of ice where we were at and Adrians road is in great shape. I'm sure they will be on the ice till the end of the month.

I have a gator trip planned for the end of the month and will squeeze in at least 1 more day trip for saugers and walleyes.

Rainy River fishing is less than a month away!!

Brian

Was up at Springsteel last week, fished half of Weds., Thurs., and Fri. Weds was ok, kept 12 fish for the 2 of us, half saug. and half sumo perch.

Thurs. was the best day for us, for 4 we cleaned about 30 fish, good mix of saugers and perch with a few eyes thrown in aswell, also cp&r a nice fat 34in. pike.

Fri. was o.k. kept 18 fish, alot of perch this year for us, many more than in past trips anyway, also on Fri. cp&r a 35 and 38 in. pike on 6lb test so that was a hell of a nice bonus fight. Set up in 25 feet all 3 days, overcast was much better bite, Fri. was bright sun all day, no real a.m. or p.m. run, just stragglers all day.

THANK YOU for your report! We are doing our 8th annual BayView trip this Friday and Saturday so this is a great heads up on what to expect! There will be 12 of us in 3 shacks. Should be a good time. Again, thanks for the heads up!

Yes, Thanks for the report. Drowningworms maybe I'll see you up there. We are headed to Bayview for my second time this year, fishing Sat and Sun. Did real well over superbowl weekend out of Bayview's houses - hope to repeat that.

Just got back!We fished out on adrians road in about 34 feet! That 10.4 miles!Did ok not great. Only walleye we got was a nice 19 incher but the rest were all little saugers. They were there just wouldn't bite. The white fish were agressive for what ever thats worth to ya. I caught almost all my fish on a glow red lindy flyer my buddy caught the eye on a gold one! We tried shallow around 23 feet and only marked a few. Good luck to all hopefully the weather mellows out!

did well last sat out of zipple. 2 limits of eyes and saugers by 1pm all 14-18.5 half eyes.. sun was dead..but all day sat we caught 75-80 % eyes.. im heading up tonight.. for the wknd again..

Fishing was really slow for me again this weekend.

Adrian's "had" a road plowed East to Lighthouse and then North along the Canada border that we started on Saturday morning. Man was it slow, we hardly marked fish. Went to bed with temps in the mid 30's, woke up to the winds howling and falling temps at about 2am, and couldn't see much past the vehicle for a good part of the morning. It let up a bit, but really never quit drifting. We pulled out of there Saturday night about 9PM because the road was nearly blown shut. Crossing the black stake trail with a wheel house is also a trick - there is a pretty good ledge you have to crawl over. Fished in 26'.

Re-setup last night and fished this morning West of the main road about 1.5 mile North of the island. Still very slow. Talked to a group of 4 about noon that had caught less than 15 fish since Friday afternoon. It was good to hear we weren't the only ones who had struggled.

Not sure if the fishing was better further out off of the road but they definitely weren't going in the mid 20 depths this weekend. The mud off of the island has been extremely difficult for me all season.

just got done fishing with Bob's on whiskey flats 3/10 and 3/11, overall it was a good time, lots of small sauger on thur. along with a few big perch and 2 "lawyers" that went over 6lbs. friday had a much slower go of it but the quality of fish was much better as the walleye's moved in. Really had to work to get our fish, they were hugging the bottom and had to jig the heck out of them to get a reaction only to see dead line really pick up the fish. gold and red glow seemed to be the ticket. Overall had a great time as my 7yr old caught one of the "lawyers" and a 17" walleye.