• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Fished out of Zipple from the 13-15th and we manged 44 fish, 10 keepers and lots of 8-9 inch saugers. We were in 30 ft of h20, and in one of Zipple Bay's sleeper houses. Good times had by all, and th Igloo is awsome! The best colors were gold, plain red hook, glow red macho's, green glow buckshots with a green dropper! Good luck!

Fished 16 mile today. Started NW of reef in 30fow. Picked up 4 bucket sauger in an hour. Decided to move around and look for some yummy walleye. Tried 28fow~nada so we moved again to 23fow~zip! The snow started to come down and my buddy had to get home, so we packed it in with nothing more. We didn't get started until 11:15am since we waited for them to put matts down over a crack just south of the reef. Those guys do a good job and didn't take them long either! Next time we'll get em!

Fished 16 mile today. Started NW of reef in 30fow. Picked up 4 bucket sauger in an hour. Decided to move around and look for some yummy walleye. Tried 28fow~nada so we moved again to 23fow~zip! The snow started to come down and my buddy had to get home, so we packed it in with nothing more. We didn't get started until 11:15am since we waited for them to put matts down over a crack just south of the reef. Those guys do a good job and didn't take them long either! Next time we'll get em!

We went over that crack at 8am and didn't realize it until the truck went 'thunk' Thankfully they put matts down for when we came off the lake. Fishing was so so for us. caught a few keepers on 16 mile. tried red stop signs, green buckshots, macho mimnnow', and moxie minnows but the real winner was the deadsticks over and over again.

Tbirath, Tractor was one, Bobber another. Just go out 9.7 after the Island on the road. First house on the road out there was the Anchor then take a right and go all the way to the East.

Well JP and his group and WIGWAM performed above and beyond for my group. We went up Thursday afternoon fishing wigwams day houses on Friday and Saturday with a group of Six. The first day we sorted through fish and kept about 30 with a mix of everything from Whitefish to perch and a few walleyes with the brunt of the fish being Saugers in the 13-16" range. Fish fry that night at the resort was great and then out on sat where we did even better with a few more walleyes. All in all we were able to bring back one short of our limit and the action was good for all. Thanks Again JP and Doug the Surgeon lived up to all the hype. Take a look at wigwams photo gallery to see our day to fish under the winter section.

Went up through Bayview on Saturday and could've had 3 limits of saugers in 2 hours. Got picky and only kept 14s and up and fished the rest of the day. Came home with 2 18 1/2 eyes and a 17, all the rest were saugers. Never went more than 15 minutes without a fish, and most of the day could only keep one rod down because it was too fast and furious. don't know for sure how many we caught, but it was well over 125 between three of us. 35 feet of water using gold, red, or gold and red. Caught a couple on yellow/green, but not much. For the record, we had both emerald shiners and fatheads, and there was NO difference between them (except the price).

Fished up north in a Ballards house on Sunday. 4 of us in the house and we were limited with 29 saugers and 3 walleyes in 4 hours of fishing. Fished until they picked us up and wound up catching at least 60 fish and missed twice that many. All fish within a foot of bottom unless you made them chase. Time did not matter. Best color was glow red anything. Thanks to Gary at Ballards and Brian Baron out on the ice. Great people, great fishing, great time. One of the 4 was my wife and it was her first time on the lake in the winter. Great experience for all of us. Thanks again.

Went out of sportsmans this past Saturday and Sunday. In general, fishing was slow except for a window on Sunday from 11:30 - 1.

No big fish but some nice 16" eyes suspended 20' down, in 31' of water.

Most fish were caught on small jigging spoons, minnow head. A few fish caught on the dead sticks but not many.

Heading up to Jeffs Iceominiums this weekend - hoping for a cold weather bite. Anyone have any specific lure/bait suggestions?

Heard about Emerald Shiners, told they were better frozen than alive.

In the past, we'd done well with beaten gold/red jigs.

Jeff will put us on fish, bringing the wives this time, HAVE TO produce

smile

Thanks for your feedback!

Will post results!

I have been using chubs or rainbows with good sucess. My biggest fish have came on frozen shiners and a deadstick 10 inches off bottom though, a 24 26 and 27

During the cold spell last weekend a plain slip bobber rig with single pink hook and split shot worked the best. Also set the bobber stop on a few of the set lines from 6" to 12" off the bottom. Our set lines pulled the bigger walleyes and saugers in where the jigging lines pulled in the little aggressive saugers.

Went to the end of Adrians road and ended up about forty including this 27-1/2" wallygator. Gold and green glow, jigging 10 to 1 one over dead stick.

Dano

Hey- MichaelSwan... I have a hubby by that name..

Was up at LOTW and planted out permy out at 16 mile a couple weeks ago. Nada the first day out, but moved the house about 150 yards north of where we were at and nailed them n 27 FOW. Will be heading up there again Fri nite. Look for a red house with a green board for a name/address identifier.

Went fishing yesterday out of bablers road. Fishing was terrible. Fished between 8 to 3. Only caught a 14 inch walleye, tulibee, and a small northern. I was using chubs. Hopefully anybody thats going up there does better. Good luck.

fish-n-fool - Ha! Too funny, there aren't THAT many of us. My Dad (Mike Sr.) and I are headed up. WIll try to find 16 mile and will stop in to say hi to you and Mike Swan smile

Thanks for the tip!

Leaving tonite at midnight! Can't wait!!

OK, Fished out of Jeff's this weekend from Fri- Sunday AM early. -38 was really fun. In all actuality, we couldn't tell what the weather was doing because the shack was so warm.

We had 4 people in the shack, we all caught fish every day, though slower than in the past. Walleyes, only 1 sauger. Largest was 18.5, none smaller than 14". No real rhyme or reason to what they hit on. Mostly red/gold jigs/spoons with the largest chubs we could find. Also red hooks on slip bobbers produced well, right on the bottom, then jigging 4' up to draw them up. Could see them pulling off the bottom to come up and get the bait.

We ate on the lake, we all took home fish.

Great quote from Jeff: I don't promise success, I'll just do my best to put you on fish. People seem to confuse the spelling of GUIDE and GOD.

I fished Zippel Bay on Trophy Road in 21 FOW Saturday and Sunday. 2 guys caught 20 fish, 10 waldos and 10 saugers. the saugers were 10-12"s and the waldos were 12"-22".

Very slow...but it was cold, and I would have liked to have fished deeper water, but that is where the house was...and it was just to cold to go portable fishing.

Glow Red Chubby Darter #3 tipped with a minnow head on the front treble, out fished everything in the house...hands down

MichaelSwan,What depth of water were you fishing in? I am just north of there and I am curious as to was depth was producing.