• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

I will second what Pan has said. Dead stick caught 80% of the fish the last two days for me as well. Both shiners and fatheads were working equally as well we thought.

WG

Wow!! good work on the video's. Great idea and what great marketing tool, there should be a good christmas bonus for you this year from WigWam!!

Today was a bit slower than I wanted, but we still caught fish and the color made all the difference in my mind. Troy was using a glow green Macho-Minnow and out caught me 3 to 1. I was using the same lure, but glow pink. There were about 5 occasions that I was able to have the fish follow my lure up about 5 feet on the Vexilar and then they would just slowly drift back to the bottom. It was a tad bit frustrating, but that’s fishing. The Barometric Pressure is on the rise, which isn’t the best for fishing, but we’re going to take it in stride and keep on smiling…happy thoughts people, happy thoughts.

More videos at HSOshow.com™

Now that everyone knows that fishing has started up on Lake of the Woods, I will cut back the video reports to 2 -3 times a week. I love doing it and I’m thrilled about the response from the viewers…I hope it keeps everyone up on everything Lake of the Woods.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day.

Wigwam Fisherman

any info about fisihng at long point around the twin island?? any info better than any! also thanks for the wigwam video clips i can't wait to get my line wet!!!

southern minnesota Fatheads!!! albert lea minnesota!!

fished out over pine sat was slow for us I moved 3 times at various depths caught 15 between 3 of us kept 7 abit chilly 4 wheeler ride out on the pond putting house on zippel next weekend did hear a good report from over there on sat in 21 ft 13" of ice where we were on sunday morning. good luck fishing to all

Yeah, the ice should start coming along now. If we can keep the sheet clear of any large snowfall in the next week I can definately see heavy truck traffic next weekend. WhiskeyPete may not be at Whiskey Flats this year. The ice out of Springsteel is not real favorable since they started the year with 5" of white ice and 3-4" of snow cover. I have heard some good fishing going on at DNR reef already, so time will tell what will happen there. Myself, I'm leaning toward putting the big house at Zippel this year. Sort, sort, sort, keeper.

IMG_0377.jpg

We could see Twin Islands from where we were fishing on Saturday. There were a couple of houses over that way. There are some very rough spots in large areas

and 10 inches of ice.

cant wait to get up there tomorrow. i just installed hyfax runners on one of our frabills.

anyone have any advice on where we should go? we are going from tuesday-saturday. have all our own gear (sleds and portables) along with a snowbear. right now, we are thinking of staying at wigwam, but am open to suggestions.

anyone know any good guides in the area? we are looking at hiring a guide for a day or two

Our group fished out of Zippel on 12/10 through 12/12. All 8 went home with limits but we had to work for it. We were in 22 feet first day and 19 the next two. Frozen shiners worked the best with pink and white being the most sucessful color. Alot of small suager with a few nice eyes mixed in. Great weekend away from the snow!

thanks for all the reports...keep them coming....taking my wife up there for new years and looking forward to some great fishing!!

cant wait to get up there tomorrow. i just installed hyfax runners on one of our frabills.

anyone have any advice on where we should go? we are going from tuesday-saturday. have all our own gear (sleds and portables) along with a snowbear. right now, we are thinking of staying at wigwam, but am open to suggestions.

anyone know any good guides in the area? we are looking at hiring a guide for a day or two

talk to the folks at wigwam. im sure jp or tom could take you guys out. good luck up there.

Special Announcement!!!! I just got off the phone with Brian Ney with Adrian’s and he has told me that Adrian’s Ice Road will be open for business on Thursday December 16th with NO Restrictions…GAME ON! The fishing wasn’t stellar today by any means, but people are catching fish and having fun! The best report came today from some guys in portables who were fishing right off the US/Canadian line in 28 feet of water. That’s pretty deep for this time of year, but that’s where they were at today. There is currently 14 inches of ice on the big body of water and we expect another COOOOOOOOOOOOLD night (-20 below), which should make us a few more inches. The following few days after tomorrow we will be expecting a little heat wave, which should keep us at least in single digits. The fishing should only get better and better as we move into the weekend. We look forward to seeing you all on Lake of the Woods very shortly…God Bless.

Wigwam Fisherman

JP Tessier-thanks for the report! My step dad and a few others are headed up tomorrow night and stayed at Wigwam Resort.. We got a cabin for tomorrow-Saturday or Sunday. We have 4 snowmobiles and portables as well as a snowbear. Is it doable to take the snowbear to the US/Canada border where those guys were fishing? I have heard reports of sketchy ice areas if you get off of the main path.

Thanks for posting all of your videos! I have been watching them everyday as you upload them and cannot wait to get a line wet on Wednesday morning. Is there anyway I can get ahold of you once I get into town tomorrow night and talk about the bite?

Is it doable to take the snowbear to the US/Canada border where those guys were fishing?

JW, you won't have a problem at all getting out, you should be able to drive a truck this weekend. 28'on the border isn't really that far out.

Fished Fri and Sat this past weekend, and definitely got our excercise in attempting to move and locate fish. We worked anywhere from 17 to 24 fow in the pine island / morris point area. The better action was in the deeper water, and fish came on both the bobber rods and jigging presentations. It was a slower than normal outing for our group at this time of the year, but I'm sure the weather didn't help. We still caught plenty of fish for a dinner and for our Iowa friends to return home with. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the shallower bite seems to be declining in recent years. We still hear of reports of people pounding them in 10-15' during lower light, but the shallow bite just hasn't been working for us. Maybe our past couple trips just coincided with weather that has affected the shallow bite more than deeper fish? We're hoping to be up there again for New Years if the area doesn't get hit with alot of snow before then.

Good luck everyone.

I agree on the shallow early bite not being as good in recent years as it has and can be however I believe alot of this has more to do with the annual shiner run (or lack there of in the last couple years). Typically the early ice shallow bite that we all love is directly attributed to a good population of the walleye following the shiners up into the Rainy and then returning to the lake around early ice at which time the fishing which is a continuation of the late season river fishing can be really awesome. With that said it's going to take a little bit to fiquire out where the fish are and what they want just as it did this summer.

Random question, I have never fished LOW before but have been ice fishing for most of my life. I have a fishing trip with the guys this year on LOW Jan 14-16 and we are all very excited being that none of us have ever fished it before. I was just wondering what pound line is popular up there, I have came to the conclusion that i must bring red and green glow jigs and a "stopsign" but is there anything else that is a must...

I like to use #8 green Power Pro. Good strong line with little to no strech.You might want to use some Gold gigs also. Im also going back on the 14th. Good luck!

Schroden...i think line selections is a personal preference. I used 4 and 6 lb test last year, using all 6 this year. As far as jigs go...have a good assortment of "glow" stuff and gold stuff. Sounds like jigging and deadsticking are neck and neck again this year as far as numbers of fish being caught. Glow red or pink is almost always a good bet. Good luck. I will be up the same weekend as you as well. We rented a sleeper out of Zippel

I like 8lb Fire Line or Power Pro. No stretch braid helps you feel bites better and will get you a better hook set. These are not finicky fish so you don't need 4lb mono or anything like that. Whatever you are comfortable with will work fine. I would wait on lure selection until you get up here. Where you are staying will have the goods that are working. If not, there's a few bait shops around that have a PILE of jigs, spoons, etc. I always start with a deadstick and a jig rod. One gold and one red/pink. Silver, glow green, orange, chartreuse, and a clown pattern are other good color choices too.

Thanks for the info, we will be staying at Borderview. I am more excited for this then my birthday today and christmas combined... Probs like most of the guys on here, i would give up christmas and easter to sleep on the lake and fish all winter

The bite is slowly picking up as we head into the weekend, so fishing should be great. Right now we’re moving deep 26 – 30 feet of water, we realize that this is very abnormal for this time of years, but that’s where the fish are concentrating. If you’re not fishing with the Wigwam and you have your own portables, Lighthouse Gap in 24 – 28 feet of water right on the US/Canadian line has been showing good results. We have at least 17 inches of ice on the big body of water and Adrian’s has opened the road with no restrictions. Be prepared to dead stick with a plain hook and a live Shiner or Chubb, or to Jig with the Macho Minnow, Jigging Raps, Stop Signs, etc. Right now the fish are changing what they like each day so be prepared. Green on Green glow, Pink on Pink glow, or Gold has been the colors recording the most fish. We look forward to seeing you all on Lake of the Woods very shortly…God Bless.

Wigwam Fisherman

Hey jP, is there a time restriction on road entry, like I migh not get there until evening. I know zipple close at 10 when their open. Boar

I just spoke with Brian from Adrian's and he said that just stop in at the Resort (Adrian's) when you get in and they should be open till after 12 AM. If you're going to be later than that, just call them prior to 12 AM and let them know where you're at and what time you plan on arriving. He said they would make arrangments for you if that's the case...Adrian's (218) 634-1985.

Have a safe trip and see you up here very soon.

JP