• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

Fished Wed Thurs and Friday... Fishing was slow.... Tried the reefs 16, and 12, then worked to the east..... Wow Adrians road is way out there... Its plowed almost to Garden then they stopped 3.5 miles away... [PoorWordUsage].. I was all excited.... Best fishing was 9 miles off Pine Island.

Fished off Adrians road, like a mile from Pine Island Sat/Sun and caught close to 25 fish, mostly walleyes and few small saugers. We were in 22 FOW. Biggest being 23".

heading up this week on wednesday just wondering if i need to be moving around shallower during night or morning any suggestions?

quack how many hit the pail?

i'm looking to move in shallow as well

I think we kept 1 short of a 3 man limit of walleyes, no saugers. The morning bite would start off with a bang then some in the afternoon hours. Next time I'd fish shallow am/pm and deep during the midday. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: vman11
quack how many hit the pail?

i'm looking to move in shallow as well

I think we kept 1 short of a 3 man limit of walleyes, no saugers. The morning bite would start off with a bang then some in the afternoon hours. Next time I'd fish shallow am/pm and deep during the midday. Good luck.

We were up 2 weeks ago with a similar report...kept 6 from 8-10 and 4-5:30, the nice thing was all keepers were 16-17"

It doesn't sound like there are big numbers of fish up shallow yet, but it's not a bad idea to try early and late...odds are better for a large female near the gap.

Vman- my uncle fished up there last Thursday and took home 16 (8 w, 8 s) for 2 of them and our houses aren't far from eachother so they're around. Give it a go.

Daily Fishing Report (2/23/10): Today on and off snow flurries are possible along with variably cloudy skies, it will be cold with wind chills may approach -20F, high near 10F with winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Tonight we should have considerable clouds this evening with some decrease in clouds late, low -8F with winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Tomorrow we should have partly cloudy skies, high 17F with winds light and variable. Tomorrow night should be mostly clear skies, low -7F with winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Thursday should be partly cloudy, highs in the mid 20s and lows in the upper single digits. Friday we should have clouds giving way to sun, highs in the low 30s and lows in the low teens. Saturday we should have times of sun and clouds, highs in the upper 20s and lows in the low teens. Today’s fishing report will come from our guides. Pink and White are still the magic colors on Lake of the Woods. The pressure is back under 30.00, which should loosen the fish up a bit. We haven’t been marking as many suspended fish as we did a few weeks ago, but you still need to be fishing with a Vexilar to even see those fish…I won’t even fish if I don’t have a Vexilar these days. All the action is still taking place, west of Pine Island and north of Graceton/Zipple in 30 – 32 feet of water, and up on the Reefs in 23 – 30 feet. We have still been doing very well in our houses, which are only accessible by fishing with the Wigwam Resort (Trucks can’t drive to them)…they are located on west side of Pine Island straight out from Graceton and up off the Reefs (21 miles north). The lures showing the best success rates are the “Gold Disco Ball aka Strobe Jig by JB’s Tackle”, “Charmer Jig (Pink) by Tom’s Tackle), the Pink or White Florescent “Stop Sign”, “Macho Minnows” and “Chubby Darter/Rapala Rattling Jig” (all can be purchased at the Log Cabin Bait store approximately ¾ of a mile before the Wigwam on 172). Use anything that glows right now, whether it is pink or white. Also give the plain gold jigs/Disco aka “Strobe” balls a try. The ice thickness out there is currently 33-36 inches. Adrian’s road is open for business…trucks are going out everyday. But again, just a little reminder, if you want to fish by the Wigwam’s houses, you have to come with us. The only types of transportation that will get you out to our houses are track vehicles and snowmobiles…no trucks. We are currently fishing the “Reefs”, but there are limited spots available each day, so book your spot today. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods; come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

2-22-10Scotty.jpg

2-22-10Kevin_000.jpg

2-20-10GregVelander.jpg

DSCF0022_000.JPG

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier

We fished on/around the rock piles in the Long Point area last Sat & Sun and tried Whiskey Jack on Mon. Fishing was slow to steady throughout. Sat was better than Sun & Mon.

Saturday, edge of the rocks/mud, holes covered an area the had 28-36 f.o.w. One hot hole out the 20 drilled saved the day, but most holes produced at least 1-2 fish. Buckies with whole chubs was best bar far.

Sunday, started in the same spot and nothing but tulibees and eelpout so we abandoned ship around 11 am for a different set of rocks. Same routine of holes drilled covering 26-34 f.o.w. and day ended up okay. Chubs better than shiners again.

Monday, brought the change in weather that made most the fish do the chase-sniff-and-run routine. Sorted through enough to finish our limit for the road home. Chubs were better at Whiskey also.

I recommend getting your extensions on. We BARELY made it through the ice in most places drilled. And bring a snowmobile.

Hey kurt, Remember when Ms TRF shot a hole thru my closet? That was a crazy B-day party, Sorry this is not a fishing report guys. Boar

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Coming up to LOW Friday & Sat. I hate to ask, but are we going to need an auger extenion? smile

I don't think so but it takes up so little room to take it along just to be safe. I been just about using my whole auger to get through a week ago. I have a Jiffy Stealth. I had mine with just in case.

JP, we are coming up this Fri & Sat. Is Little Jim stopping in at your place still in the mornings with the Fox? I would like to say Hi to him, since I haven't seen him in a while. Leech~~

Took my girlfriend out for her first real ice experience, and prooved to be a hit.

Went out on Sunday and Monday and we didn't do the sun-up shallow deal, like I usualy do. We just went out around 9 am and went out to the end of adrians road, and then went just over a mile to the right. 34 ft below ice, and pounded 'em. About 10 fish in 3 hrs on Sunday, but a good 40 on Monday. lots of little ones, but we kept our 8 eyes all 15-19", and 8 saug's. A couple big saugs, about 15-16 inches I'm guessin. didn't measure them but fat. It was great. Sunny, maybe 20 + degrees on the lake, no wind. She loved it, as much as me. just used emeralds from adrians, and only used the heads on large buckshot rattle spoon. Maybe someone might land a hog that has my large colorado blade w/treble hook. I lost the fish w/lure just below the ice, but it sure looked like a 24-30" fish. Caught it same as I have caught monsters before, like my 34" hog. Half way down in 30+ ft. no marks around, just went jiggin half way down, and out of nowhere... fat red one. Didn't even fight though. Great weekend. I usualy come up from the cities atleast 1 time each winter, but didn't make it up since Feb-08. She asks me..."can we go every winter?" Ya know I'm all smiles now!

I'll be fishing the reefs up by Knights and Bridges next Friday and Saturday. I don't see any reports recent reports from that area. Anyone been up there?

Took my girlfriend out for her first real ice experience, and prooved to be a hit.

Went out on Sunday and Monday and we didn't do the sun-up shallow deal, like I usualy do. We just went out around 9 am and went out to the end of adrians road, and then went just over a mile to the right. 34 ft below ice, and pounded 'em. About 10 fish in 3 hrs on Sunday, but a good 40 on Monday. lots of little ones, but we kept our 8 eyes all 15-19", and 8 saug's. A couple big saugs, about 15-16 inches I'm guessin. didn't measure them but fat. It was great. Sunny, maybe 20 + degrees on the lake, no wind. She loved it, as much as me. just used emeralds from adrians, and only used the heads on large buckshot rattle spoon. Maybe someone might land a hog that has my large colorado blade w/treble hook. I lost the fish w/lure just below the ice, but it sure looked like a 24-30" fish. Caught it same as I have caught monsters before, like my 34" hog. Half way down in 30+ ft. no marks around, just went jiggin half way down, and out of nowhere... fat red one. Didn't even fight though. Great weekend. I usualy come up from the cities atleast 1 time each winter, but didn't make it up since Feb-08. She asks me..."can we go every winter?" Ya know I'm all smiles now!

FishSystem, I just got back from Adians we must have been about in the same spot end of road in the 'Golf" house. Only fished Friday and headed down to Winni. We ended up with a good 30 or so. Also, you must not take a hint very well! When your GF says "Can we go every Winter" I think she maybe waiting for you to say "Yes, will you marry me" crylaugh

Just got back from the lake wish friend fished from Wednesday till sat night each day catching out limit of fish. caught about 75 fish almost everyday between the two of us.Also a few nice slot fish 2 26's 1 25 and 2 22's. Was 14 miles out from wigwam.

Can we go every winter?

Been down that road and here's some advice.

Take her out in a cramped portable when it's cold one time then rent or borrow a nice perm the next. She will be begging you to get a perm.

Have her use your older crappy equipment while you use the good stuff. It won't take long till she notices you are doing better. You get to buy new stuff and give her your hand me downs.

This works for both ice and open water fishing, and it's a great system if you work it right. I once let my wife try one of my St. Croix Legend Tournement rods with a with a Shimano stradic on it, now she has a couple of them for summer fishing. I also got her a custom Thorne rod ice rod (her favorite colors for the guide threads) for Xmas last year and now she wants to go more than I do.

Work it right and it's great.

I'll keep that in mind fishguy, be that I haven't been married before, I still got many a trick to learn, no doubt. I've already learned how to use the "well if we go to your parents place this weekend, I won't be able to take you out shopping for the 2 day sales I found." We never did make it to her parents place yet. :-)

Fished Thursday and Friday out of Morris Point road and caught 118 walleye and sauger for our group, stayed in a sleeper. Biggest was 23.5" then 18.5" was the second biggest. Mostly sauger coming up through the hole in 32 f.o.w. Had a couple marks come in 10' off the bottom but couldn't entice them to bite otherwise everything else was about 6" to 12" off bottom. Best lure was a gold Lindy rattle spoon tipped with a minnow head.

Fished in 33' out from Pine Island with little success this weekend. We constantly marked fish, but getting them to bite was the hard part. I tried a ton of colors and different jigs to no avail, but I had my best luck on a green Forage Minnow I'd usually use for crappies.

It sounds like deeper was better this weekend. We tried in front of the gap in 13' right before sunset on Saturday and caught 1-16" walleye and battled a sturgeon for quite some time before the hook ripped out.

We fished off of the road Adrian's plowed in front of the gap - does anybody have any reports from the deeper end of that road?

Fished in 33' out from Pine Island with little success this weekend. We constantly marked fish, but getting them to bite was the hard part. I tried a ton of colors and different jigs to no avail, but I had my best luck on a green Forage Minnow I'd usually use for crappies.

It sounds like deeper was better this weekend. We tried in front of the gap in 13' right before sunset on Saturday and caught 1-16" walleye and battled a sturgeon for quite some time before the hook ripped out.

We fished off of the road Adrian's plowed in front of the gap - does anybody have any reports from the deeper end of that road?

We were out 12 miles in one of Adrians houses. Got there late and only fished from about 11:30am until dark but pulled in about 30+. They were bitting pretty light no big hard hits and you had to work them a bit off the bottom. We also had some come down from about 5 feet. I did get one nicer eye up about 10feet off the bottom. wink

Went out of Babblers Road and fished 16 Mile Reef on Tuesday and Wednesday - about 31 feet. Two people fishing we caught 9 on Tuesday - 5 walleye and 4 sauger all 16" or better. Fish didn't really start biting until 3:00 and we fished until 5:00. We showed fish most of the day but couldn't get them to bite. Went back out Wednesday hoping for the "3:00 Bite" again but it never happened - one 17" sauger. Very few fished even showed up on the finders on Wednesday. Weather was beautiful -sunny and no wind. Road all the way out to 16 mile is in good shape, so far!

Saturday was slow caught 15 fish no keepers out deep moved back into 28ft still slow sat afternoon. Sunday morning started fishing about 7 caught a nice 18" walleye right away and 6 other keepers, about 9 my wife hooked a nice 25"incher again outfished by her. was able to meet mnhunter and I beleive his brother on sat. it was so nice they fished outside by our house and caught fish too. good to meet you guys let me know how you do next thursday if you would. thanks Terry

Hey terrry another slow weekend but a few nice fish huh? Obviously I didnt make up this weekend but I'll be upnext How was the snow melt? Warm temps an some rain predicted thruout the week has me nervous for end of march an april, Need to cool down some. Boar