• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports & Info

where is bablers road located?? never fished there always out of adrians wether is was out from pine or reefs way out.

where is bablers road located?? never fished there always out of adrians wether is was out from pine or reefs way out.

what has been the most productive lures for the recent bite, i have read the smaller the better, but what colors? i just stocked up on rainbow, gold, silver shinner,and pink, but an advantege would be nice. heading up this friday, cant wait.

Plain red hooks, gold jigs of any style, glow green, and silver...I use forrage minnows and buckshot rattles alot. I am also a firm believer in having a live shiner on, smaller is alright. I've dropped almost everything possible down the holes over the years on L.O.W. and I pretty much just stick to those styles now and I always catch fish, but then again I only go up there anymore when its gonna be nice...that lake shuts off when its miserable out.

proguide,

it is located at rocky point, straight north of roosevelt on rocky point road, arnesens resort is just around the bend when you hit bablers lake road.

I was up on Sunday, 31 feet of water Morris point road. We didn't keep a single fish. Probably caught 20, but they were all small sauger. Not sure what I was doing wrong, we tried everything in the tackle box it seems. Weather was [PoorWordUsage] though.

Welcome to FM jumpacabelz!

I think if you stick with your guns - red, pink, or gold of any jig or hook you will be just fine.

Don't over-analyze it, use what you know/have in your tackle box and try lures/jigging techniques until you find one that works. In my opinion red and gold are huge on LOTW, but I don't believe there is ever a "magical can't miss" color or lure, just be ready to adapt to different weather, fish aggressiveness, etc.

PS - did you used to attend college in Willmar? I thought I knew a "jumpacabelz" from there...

As I reported earlier in the week we were up at Sportsmens and went out on Adrians road about a 1.7 miles out past the island and went off the road to the right on an old off shoot path. 26-27 FOW and caught a bunch of fish. Decent walleyes no slot but up to 17"s. Plain White hook dead sticking killed them for me. Not even a glow hook, just white and shiners. Buddy caught them on a white buckshot spoon as well.

4 of us will be heading up monday thru thursday out of zipple bay. we are doing the shallow sleeper with deep angl. shack. can anyone help me out with there view, is there alot of value in this option. and also what would be the best times to move out to deeper water and then to come back in.

pipeliner, let me know how the trip goes I have about a dozen people that are thinking about doing that next year (shallow sleeper/deep angler). We are torn between that option or the deeper sleeper with portables so we can just move on our own.

Daily Fishing Report (Friday February 12, 2010): Today we should have snow showers and flurries possible during the morning with a chance of continued flurries later, high 22F with winds light and variable…there will be a 30% chance of snow. Tonight should be cloudy, low 8F with winds light and variable. Saturday we should have a few snow showers, highs in the low 20s and lows in the low single digits. Sunday should be partly cloudy and windy, highs in the low 20s and lows in the low single digits. Monday we should have times of sun and clouds, highs in the low 20s and lows in the low single digits. Today’s fishing report will come from me and our guides. Yesterday I again had the opportunity to fish up at the famed “Reefs” and things were just about the same as the past few days I was up there. Yesterday there were a total of 4 Walleyes caught and released over 28 inches…that’s a nice day’s work. Pink and White are still the magic colors up there…my Pink Charmer Lure from Tom’s Tackle was the hot ticket for me and an Orange Jigging Shad Rap from Rapala was the hot ticket for Tom. The fish weren’t just coming up and slamming it…we had to work for them again, but it as it always is, it was worth the work. We didn’t mark as many suspended fish, but you still need to be fishing with a Vexilar to even see those fish. All the action is still taking place, west of Pine Island and north of Graceton/Zipple in 32 – 36 feet of water, and up on the Reefs in 23 – 30 feet. We have still been doing very well in our houses, which are only accessible by fishing with the Wigwam Resort…they are located on west side of Pine Island straight out from Zipple and up off the Reefs (21 miles north). The lures showing the best success rates are the “Gold Disco Ball aka Strobe Jig by JB’s Tackle”, “Charmer Jig (Pink) by Tom’s Tackle), the Pink or White Florescent “Stop Sign”, “Macho Minnows” and “Chubby Darter/Rapala Rattling Jig” (all can be purchased at the Log Cabin Bait store approximately ¾ of a mile before the Wigwam on 172). Use anything that glows right now, whether it is pink or white. Also give the plain gold jigs/Disco aka “Strobe” balls a try. The ice thickness out there is currently 28-32 inches. Adrian’s road is open for business…trucks are going out everyday. But again, just a little reminder, if you want to fish by the Wigwam’s houses, you have to come with us. The only types of transportation that will get you out to our houses are track vehicles and snowmobiles…no trucks. We are currently fishing the “Reefs”, but only 40 can fish a day…book your spot today. Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods, come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

DSCF0021.JPG

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Quote:
But again, just a little reminder, if you want to fish by the Wigwam’s houses, you have to come with us.

crazy Is that directed for everyone or people who want to fish in your houses...I mean anyone can drive out there with their own sleds and fish close to your houses or in the area just like any lake.

We don't own the lake...what I'm referring to is all the people that call me on a daily basis and want to drive trucks out there...they can't get to the reefs, that's all. Sleds or track vehicles are the only way out there, that is unless you go with us wink.

First time LOW icefisherman here. Wow, I can't wait to get back. Went out of Arnersons yesterday for the day. We were in about 27 feet of water. Between me and another guy we caught 70 fish. From 8AM to 10Am and from 3:30 to 5:30 we caught the majority. I found what work for me the best was having one line with a glow red or white jig and other one with a buckshot jigging aggresively. My only compliant is I didn't catch a pout but I got into some jumbo perch(up to 14 inches) man that was fun. Good luck to anyone going fishing.

We don't own the lake...what I'm referring to is all the people that call me on a daily basis and want to drive trucks out there...they can't get to the reefs, that's all. Sleds or track vehicles are the only way out there, that is unless you go with us wink.

Yeah, I kind of figured it out...thanks for the clarification!

Given the ice depth this year isn't as thick, do you think it will be a problem getting on the ice with truck in Mid March? Just wondering if I should try and round up some sleds to borrow. Ideally we will be going out of Bostic or Babbler's.

Thanks

Just got back from fishing with Ballards Resort for the 3rd time this winter and had a really great time. We caught some really nice slot fish and had a good bucket of keepers! Had my Dad out this weekend and as always had a great trip!

Always a good time with the guides help, Thanks Again Brian, Ben, and Nick you guys made it awesome!

Fished out of Wheelers Point Resort this past weekend. We were about 15miles out in approx35ft of water. Friday was very slow started fishing at noon with only 14 fish brought through the holes. Saturday was a totally different day like night and day with at least 60 fish caught. Hammered gold spoons and Eye Dropper spoons in Super glo redfish the hot baits. I would say more fish on the eye dropper but bigger fish on the gold hammered spoon. Picked up the gold spoons at the tackle shop downtown across from the pharmaceutical company.They bit very very light and we used the sponge bobbers we picked up there on our dead sticks, all they would do was make the sponge bobber stand up. Accommodations were great as was the service provided.

cbrooks, you should have had my hole, I cought 5 pout on sat. and my house cought 6 total, we did alright, 7 keepes and 2 jumbos, only fished sat. thanks for all your help guys. fyi, Ballards has really nice cabins. and do a pretty good job guiding.

Tried in front of Lighthouse Gap in 16ft of water Saturday morning until 10 and then again from 3:30 until dark...caught 4-16" walleyes and released a 22" in the morning, caught 2-16" walleyes in the evening. Overall, pretty slow still near the gap, not many fish in-between. However, most everything caught was nice.

During the day Saturday we met up with a buddy and his wife in 33 ft of water. Fishing was decent through the day with a keeper mixed in here and there.

Sunday we stayed in the wheel house in 33ft and continued to fill the bucket. Fishing was pretty solid throughout the entire morning and early afternoon, releasing a 20" and catching a good amount of 14-18" fish, with the sauger running 14-15" with a bonus 17". The wife also lost a +24" fish at the edge of the ice that would have made for a good pic.

My buddy and his wife also had one hell of a trip, icing 3 slot fish, biggest just under 30", and a bonus 13.5" perch.

Overall a very good weekend for mid February with a 30mph north wind.

lotw001.jpg

lotw011.jpg

just got back from the woods fishin, we fished the south west area by the big rock point, 4 of us caught atleast 200 fish in 3 days, 50 that we kept, walleyes from all sizes 12 inch allot of 16s n 18s , lots of sugers, the perch just blow me away, biggest was 13inch but FAT and had to be 6inch across it, buddy caught a 28 an a half in walleye weight was 10.5 lbs just a PIG. the other bigger fish was a nothern that was 34 inch, the ticket for us was the gps map finder and the portabales, sat in a hole that was 10x20 34ft the outer was 28ft. the jig was all on bannana jigs that were gold orange, yellow, @ a foot off bottom deadsticken, and the other line jig them OFF the bottom worked all 3 days you could not ask for a better fishin trip look foward to next year

Good Lord reading these posts and seein the pics has me fired up!! I got lucky and won a trip to Ballards and am headin out 3-7 thru 3-10.. Never fished LOTW before so i'd luv any tips you could share with me!! Are shiners going to be hard to find then?