• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice out predictions for Leech

We have a place in Uram bay and the little bit of north wind yesterday pushed a bunch of slushy ice into the bay. We did watch a boat and two pontoons who must have put in at big rock or horseshoe ram their way throught the ice around marshall point and into uram bay. I dont really feel like trying that. I will choose to wait a bit or go else where. The NE wind predicted today will likley further fill this end of the lake with ice. Good for all you guys on the east and north sides. I might trailer around to the east side of the lake to fish.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 311Hemi

• Gofishleech

• Hopper

• CB34

25 boats or more stranded on Leech today because the ice shifted. Authorities are trying to get them out. Hope no one got seriously hurt but I hear several boats got busted up pretty bad. Plus it is raining hard as they are trying to get them rescued. No walleye is worth it.

We just got off the lake an hour ago. It's been snowing for the past couple hours and the wind is blowing good out of the n-nw.

We are staying in traders bay and had a big sheet of slush yesterday that was gone this morning. It could not have gotten any closer. All of traders bay was clear of ice from what we saw on the east side of the bay. A co that checked us said they were locked in on the west side of the bay this morning. It is open all the way through Sucker bay from what we could see and we saw no ice.

A few slot eyes released today and a few northern. It's good to be back out on the water!

Hope everything is OK with everyone that got traped. Any updates on that would be great if anyone hears anything.

hey everyone.

me and my buddies are coming up for a fishing trip on May 22th, and were stayin at ivanhoe resort in walker bay. Now, I've heard that Walker bay still has a signifigant amount of ice. Does anyone have any idea when it will be completely ice free?

I appreciate the feedback

By that time it will be gone.

Walker Bay Ice covered. Main lake open, except for the far south end.

Our house is at the south end of Horseshoe Bay and I am looking at ice out to Marshal Point. huge amounts of ice came off the south end yesterday. Today may open it all up. Walker Bay could be another week, depending on weather.

c'mon are you all still talking about ice!For a min. there thought I was in canada.The water is open in ely. so I just figured it(ice) was gone there!I will be coming up this weekend to find-em,I am very excited about leech this year,as I have fished there on opener for 20 years,but not the last 3!my inlaws bought some land on steamboat bay 2 yrs ago.I am hoping to find some new honeyhole's,in there as there guide-realtor said steamboat had the best survival rate(for eye's) when the lake was bad! wink-wink obviously he's going to say that!Are the shiners as hard to come bye up there as they are down here?They are 10 dol. a doz. in wright cty.,anyway! I was wondering if you guy's think,with such a shortage of shiners are they even biting on shiners,since we have such a hard time getting shiners maybe the other bait is what the EyE;s are seeing-chasing!basically I'm wondering if I should get leeches,fatheads or shines,just don't want to waste my money on shiners,which are hard to keep alive anyway! Thanks for any info. as I will be up there finding them this weekend! The gas will make up for it! I will report the fishing when I return to my comp.-!

Use fatheads, that is all we use for the last 5 years and normally out fish others.

We fished out of Federal Dam on Sat and Sunday. The bite on Saturday was pretty good. A lot of big fish that were well above the slot. Sunday was slower, but we did manage to get some nice perch. Water temp around 42f on the north end. I think things will only get better as the water warms up. Did not see any ice except a few piles on shore.

We fished Portage Bay on Saturday. Many big eyes from 22"-25 plus. We, also, landed a couple beauties, a 26.5 and a 27''.

One 15" fish in the snowstorm Saturday evening.

The big girls were fun to catch. We went to Winnie on Sunday and caught our limits of keeper walleyes and a number over the slot.

I have had a cabin on Portage since 1976 and this opener take the cake for being wet and miserable.

tweed

Came in from fishing Goose Island and the Hardwoods today and Walker Bay was open. Drove to town and down to the city park.....all open. Not sure if the extreme South end of Walker Bay still had ice, but one could use the Walker Public access if needed.

We have a winner, Meat-Run who predicted ice out on 5/11, and given the conditions on Leech at present it is pretty safe to say the official ice out for Leech was yesterday, 5/12. Time to start pulling those W's out of Pine and Stoney!

Hey thanks guys. And yes I was out there on leech pushing ice around like the Titanic. No walleyes to report but it was nice fishing with my father for 3 hours before it snowed.

meat-run