• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice out predictions for Leech

Things should start getting interesting in the next couple of weeks for ice out dates. Last year ice was out on April 30th for the big lake, I predict ice out for the big lake on 5/10 - which is opener. I hope for something sooner!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 311Hemi

• Gofishleech

• Hopper

• CB34

thinking about comming up and chasing some pannies around tommorow? any body doing any good and is the ice still acsesible?

I have May 5 in our neighborhod pool---like my chances---think we got enough snow this winter to do some water recharging and water level raising?---some of the smaller lakes looked pretty low last fall

I suspect marlinfan is a budding meteorologist since he predicted another foot of snow on this thread back on April 16th. I was hoping to chase crappies in the first week of May on Leech but it looks like I'll need to bring my auger.

Could be a tough opener. Anyone have suggestions for any little lakes in the surrounding area, if the big pond is still frozen?

I spoke with a resort owner this morning on the north side of the lake. They thought the ice would have gone out in their harbor today if not for the new snow and cold temperatures. She also said a neighbor was out two weeks ago to a spot on the lake and their was 20" inches of ice, he was out a few days ago, and the ice in the same spot was down to 6". She did say they are starting to get worried about opener, especially with the cold temperatures over night. It has to get warm and windy for the lake to be ready on opener.

I cancelled my trip to the cabin for opener,even if the ice is off,I think memorial will my opener for leech.I think the fishing will be excellent this year,can't wait!

We just got 3 inches of snow yesterday in Eau Claire WI how about up there? We had a low of 21 last night there was i thin coating of ice on the lakes around here. opener is 5 days away for me and its going to 55 and raining sounds like alot of fun. atleast i will be on the lake

There could be some melting this week. I heard there were some people ice fishing this past weekend.

Snow should be gone today and tomorrow.....

I do think the ice will be out by opener but only a couple days before. As for the fishing, I remember several years ago when the south side was locked with ice and the west and north sides had ice floating around but plenty of open water, the fishing was outstanding. There were alot of big fish in the shallows and they were biteing. The problem was it was before the slot and many boats keept lots of big walleyes.

I was out in Whipolt the past couple days getting BeachFire Grille ready to open, yesterday there was a 10 foot gap from shore to ice of open water. This afternoon before I left that had changed to 20'. Pipe island has a large patch of open water over the shallows that doubled in size today along with a pretty good swath open in front of Huddles. I would imagine with the high winds and above freezing temps overnight it should put a pretty good dent in the ice out there by this weekend. Hopefully not putting a dent in opener for us. Either way the restaurant will be ready to go. I'll be back out there Monday and will give another report then.

well my optimism faded today when I went into walker. Walker bay looks to be locked in ice, not out from shore at all near town. There was some open out from Erickson landing but the narrows was still iced shut. I did hear the big lake has more progress but with only ten days before opener I don't see walker bay opening. Pics from city park.

walkerbay-2.JPG

walkerbay-3.JPG

You can go to mndnr and see the record ice out reports. 1950 must have been a cold year.

cheffrey & gofishleech I have my fingers crossed, I hope it opens up soon. Thanks for the update its kind of hard to know what is going on up there when I live 3.5 hours away.

We are heading up on the 8th to get ready for opener. I agree, it will nip & tuck for open water, but if we miss open water by a day or two, it will give us time to get organized and plan the first trip.

Last Fall and this winter were very good for walleye. I think the improved trend will continue into this Spring.

I have been looking at the photos posted, Ten Mile webcam, and the forcast. My conclusion is it does not look good for it to be open by opener. There is a chance of snow again this weekend.

Not sure how warm it needs to be to melt the ice thats there, but here is the 10 day outlook for Walker.

My fingers are crossed!

Today

Apr 30 Mostly Sunny 54°/36° 20 %

Thu

May 01 Few Showers / Wind 53°/35° 30 %

Fri

May 02 AM Clouds / PM Sun 47°/32° 20 %

Sat

May 03 Partly Cloudy / Wind 52°/32° 20 %

Sun

May 04 Partly Cloudy 57°/34° 20 %

Mon

May 05 Mostly Cloudy 58°/37° 20 %

Tue

May 06 Few Showers 56°/36° 30 %

Wed

May 07 Mostly Cloudy 57°/38° 20 %

Thu

May 08 Partly Cloudy 58°/40° 20 %

Fri

May 09 Showers 63°/42° 30 %

I'm predicting May 7th. But I have been wrong before. Here is the reliable forecast:

MNZ025-010015-

NORTHERN CASS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WALKER

1224 PM CDT WED APR 30 2008

.THIS AFTERNOON...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 55 TO 60. SOUTHEAST WINDS

AROUND 15 MPH.

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 30 TO 35. EAST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH.

.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. ISOLATED RAIN SHOWERS IN THE

AFTERNOON. HIGHS 48 TO 53. EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH. CHANCE OF

RAIN 20 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT RAIN.

LOWS 30 TO 35. NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN AND

SNOW. HIGHS 38 TO 43. NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS

30 TO 35.

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 45 TO 50.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT

RAIN AND SNOW. LOWS 28 TO 33.

.SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 50 TO 55. LOWS

33 TO 38.

.MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 55 TO 60.

.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN

SHOWERS. LOWS 33 TO 38.

.TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 57 TO 62.

Originally Posted By: puddleduck
I'm predicting May 7th.

I hope you are right!!!!

I hope your right too! I am coming up north anyway on the opener but would just as soon fish Leech.

If you guys are getting anywhere near the E.SE winds as we are in southern mn. today the ice should be piled high!!!

May 12 is my prediction for Walker Bay.

A friend was out yesterday and hammered the sunnies.

There is still 2 feet of ice in some spots and about a foot in others. That is alot of ice to melt in a week and a half.

The smaller lakes should be open.

10,000- I agree with you. It is a lot of Ice to melt. What we do need is some sun, wind or rain.....Cloudy,calm and 50 wont take the sheet of in a week....

We are staying at a Resort on Leech. But looks like we are planning on fishing some smaller lakes. Either way, the weekend will be friends,food and beverage of choice....

This reminds me of the Spring of 1996. I just bought a new lund pro-v and planned on fishing Leech on the opener just as I have for the past 20 plus years. My friend who has a cabin on Benedict (hooks on to Leech) called and said that I probably should look for another place to go on the opener. Their was a huge sheet of ice on the lake and if the wind came up from the south it would push the ice on to the points of the north shore were we like to fish and might damage my boat. If I remember right, Walker Bay was completely iced over. I heeded his advice and fished a lake (Reno) south of Walker near Alexandria. My friend, two of his boys and his dad decided to go out and fish until noon on Leech. The results??? I got skunked on Reno and my friend and his family had one of the best openers ever once the water warmed and the wind came up around 11:00 a.m. They filled out in short order and went back to the cabin. I managed to salvage a couple of walleyes in the late afternoon on Buffalo Lake near where I live. It just goes to show you that you can never predict what is going to happen.

Quote:
you can never predict what is going to happen.

Exactly

Shaky - I remember the same 96 opener, ice went out the day before and we had the same sort of results over on the eastern side of leech. No luck with crappies that year but lots of nice gators. I am expecting about the same thing this year, but if get wind with the warmth it might go out sooner than day before?

It's not looking good. They are still on the ice fishing as of today down by Larson Marina. Lots of ice in Walker Bay. I heard the ice up at Sand point is breaking up. Traders Bay by the channel is open water out 100 yards. Nice to see open water again.