• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hope the pictures were from the 30th, rumor has it you had some progress melting ice with the wind today

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamrock7

• Cliff Wagenbach

• vermilionwally

• partyonpine

Originally Posted By: PortageBay
Shamrock: Looks like about 2 more inches of water and we can drive the boats right into the new building without the forklift!

The webcam is looking good today!

Yeah, from the looks of it around here, it won't take much more water.

You and Sea Bass coming this weekend?

If the ice is out I'll be up with a small group to drop docks (and drown a minnow or two)... can the water be too high to put in docks?

Not to high for docks. The decking will be the issue. If the wind blows out of the SW, your decking may end up at the campsite.

webcam looks like cracks are starting...how is it looking Shamrock? Water level still going up?

Where on the lake is that eagle eye web cam located.

west end, hibbing point I believe...near the Landing

Here are my observatios as of 4:00 p.m. Sunday May 4th:

I did swing by Hoodoo point, Mckinley Park and Stuntz bay today May 4th. Hoodoo quite a bit of open water with ice several hundred feet out. McKinley Ice up to shore but looked black and honeycombed. Stuntz bay needs a little more work.

As I was heading North Island Lake around Duluth was fairly open, Whiteface Reservoir by the Dam close to HWY 4 looked as if much was open so I'm thinking and crossing my fingers that you'll see a lot of ice disappear on Vermilion in the next few days and be ready for everyone to start the season.

I'll be making that route everday this week to see the progress.

Thanks for the updates...

drove around pike bay all day today, breakin in the new plant. open to whisky this morning and 70% of that ice was gone this afternoon. Should be gone overnight..

I stopped by Pelican Lake on Saturday (5/3/2008). The ice is almost out.

PelicanIceOut2.jpg

DSCN3277-1.jpg

Ice turned from white to black this afternoon in the blackduck bay area....hopefully it wont be long.....

Sledneck,

That is my view.

Now that we are less than a week away from the opener what are the odds that we have enough open water on Vermilion to get around? My only perspective is what I can glean from this forum and the eagle eye cam, so the local perspective is really appreciated.

Thanks

53orbigger

Thats all I ask.

I'm in the same boat as 53' above. I am going to Vermilion for the opener and I am counting on locals for status of the ice. What is the status of Big Bay, since that is where I'll be staying?

Your updates are really appreciated!

Pike Bay is finally ice free from the reports that I have gotten.

Big Bay is still iced in.

Cliff

Its going to be close but I am still betting money on ice Saturday am. We will just have to hold tight and see what happens. We will start posting more pictures once there is something to take pictures of. Really nothing moving. Keeps freezing at night which doesn't help the cause. We will continue to do our best to keep everyone informed of the progress or lack there of.

Thanks for the updates. We all appreciate them.

53orbigger

Thats all I ask.

Any body been by the landing supper club is the ice of that end of the lake yet?

eagle eye webcam looking at bay in front of landing. I wouldn't want to walk out there, but it would be tough boating too.

I thought the Eagle Eye was set on Frazier Bay, not the West end?!

I heard from locals I know on the Tower end that the camera faces a part of Pike Bay

since the ice is out on pike bay, and the camera still shows ice that can't be true.

It is on Hibbing Point in Sunset Bay looking more or less northeast. The Landing would be off the picture to the left, and Sunset Bay opens into Head O Lakes bay off to the right.

Wherever the cam is, it made big changes today. We still have a few days left. Hopefully the weather gods will work with us and open that lake.

Ok here is a few pictures of the progress.

DSC06438.jpg

Is a picture of Greenwood Bay. Still lots of ice in the narrows but the ice in the middle of the bay is about 1/2 out.

DSC06439.jpg

Is our little forklift. Notice the water is almost on the dock on the right side.

DSC06440.jpg

This is our boat ramp. Looks like a lake to me. What a mess!!!

(oops, forgot to paste the link in it. Notice the water almost surronding the dock

Still thinking that it will not be open by Saturday but will have to wait and see.

One of the dock companies on the lake also has a web site with some pictures and updates on the ice. The water is still too hard for me!