• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just so everyone knows what I meant by my last comment.

Oh go take a picture of something!!!!!!!!!!

Portage Bay is a photographer.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamrock7

• Cliff Wagenbach

• vermilionwally

• partyonpine

I got that, shamrock. So many photographic subjects on Vermilion, so little time. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Our snow over here in Ely will be gone in a day or two. Nature has a way of fooling us, eh? Bring on the opener! But since I'll be opening for lakers near Ely (unless Mrs. Catfish weighs in strongly), I don't care much if the ice goes off early or late. grin.gifgrin.gif

Most southern lakes are now open and the metro lakes should be open any day. I doubt it will take Vermilion an extra month to open up.

Don't forget that you can always check the Ice-Out page from the Climatology group. Just google ice out 2008 for the link.

Personally, i would like to fast forward to October 15th. This seasonal work starts to get old after 27 years, Gosh that makes me old \:\(

Quote:
Gosh that makes me old \:\(

All depends on a persons definition of old grin.gif 25 years ago I thought guys my age were ready for the rockin chair \:o Changed my way of thinking over the years.

The channel from Tower out to Pike Bay opened up today!

Pike Bay should open up easily by next Tuesday! Maybe sooner with the 3 days of rain predicted for later in the week. Most of the ice appears to have broken away from shore today.

Big Bay looked pretty solid yet.

Cliff

Is there still snow in the woods? I was thinking of hiking this weekend.

There is a little snow here and there but not much. Mostly in the areas that don't get much sun.

Put the first boat in the lagoon this morning, just in time for the snow this weekend.......YUCK

Drilled a few holes in the ice out front this am. Was about 30" of ice. But the main thing was that if I drilled down about 12" and stopped, the hole filled with ice in a matter of 10 seconds. This says that the ice is fairly well rotten except for the top 12" But if we get the 5 in of snow, it will take another 4-5 days to get back to where we were today. Guess we will just have to take it as it comes. \:\(

At least that is incouraging! Only 12 inches of solid ice left!

Cliff

Wouldn't the melting snow actually help to rot the ice faster? confused.gif I mean, it's basically going to be the heavy, wet stuff that is more water than ice, and I always believed that any water on top of the ice this time of year can help to rot the ice away that much faster... but I've been known to be wrong. Well, once or twice, at least... ;\)

Good question.....I don't know the answer. Guess my thinking was if there is snow there, the sun will reflect off it rather than be absorbed as when there is no snow. But we have to get sun for that to be rational. ha

The ice is going fast on Pike Bay!

The bay is now open as far as Duffy Island on the East end!

Cliff

except the water under the ice is already above 32 degrees and will continue to melt the ice form below and if the heavy wet snow floods the remaining ice will then melt from above even with snow. Just my take on it.

Mother nature is really testing our sense of humor.

SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 14 INCHES IS EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON

THROUGH TONIGHT ACROSS NORTHERN SAINT LOUIS COUNTY. A LIGHT RAIN

AND SNOW MIX IS POSSIBLE THIS MORNING...THEN LOOK FOR THE

PRECIPITATION TO INTENSIFY AND BECOME ALL SNOW THIS AFTERNOON.

THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVIEST TONIGHT...AND MAY LINGER INTO SATURDAY

MORNING.

Just thought I'd share what was in the Duluth paper today about the latest ice out ever on lake Vermilion. It was May 3rd 1950, and if it gets to be May 3rd this year and the ice hasn't gone out, I would like everyone to take their little buddy heaters from ice fishing or any other heaters they may have and position them on shore pointing out towards the lake. It really is pretty amazing how quick the ice starts to go out once it begins and it can begin ANYTIME NOW!

Keep your fingers crossed and your portable heaters ready just in case!

May 23rd is the latest recorded ice out and that was in 1950.

It's gotta' be gone by May 17th cause thats when I'm puttin' the boat in !!

we have seen a 3" rise in the lake level today. If this Pike River keeps dumping in at this rate, we will be using wader on our docks.

found this chart on the net....records of iceout on vermillion...

Lake Vermilion Ice Out Dates

Ice went out on Lake Vermilion on April 29, 2007

The ice went out on Lake Vermilion on April 18, 2006

The ice went out on Jammer Lake on April 19, 2007

The ice went out on Jammer Lake on April 12, 2006

The status of "Ice Out" on Minnesota Lakes

The ice on Jammer Lake (15 miles south of Cook) usually goes a week before Lake Vermilion

1906, Apr 23

1910, Apr 11

1914, May 3

1915, Apr 22

1923, May 6

1924, May 1

1925, Apr 24

1926, May 1

1927, May 7

1928, May 10

1929, Apr 25

1930, Apr 21

1931, Apr 18

1932, Apr 30

1933, May 6

1934, May 6

1935, May 1

1936, May 10

1937, May 6

1938, Apr 19

1939, Apr 14

1940, Apr 19

1941, Apr 18

1942, Apr 24

1943, Apr 30

1944, May 7

1945, Apr 10

1946, Apr 20

1947, May 12

1948, Apr 29

1949, Apr 26

1950, May 23

1951, May 5

1952, Apr 29

1953, May 1

1954, Apr 30

1955, Apr 22

1956, May 10

1957, May 1

1958, Apr 19

1959, May 1

1960, May 3

1961, May 5

1962, May 5

1963, Apr 28

1964, May 3

1965, May 5

1966, May 15

1967, Apr 20

1968, May 2

1969, Apr 25

1970, May 3

1971, May 2

1972, May 11

1973, Apr 20

1974, May 5

1975, May 7

1976, Apr 17

1977, Apr 26

1978, May 6

1979, May 13

1980, Apr 25

1981, Apr 22

1982, May 4

1983, May 1

1984, Apr 24

1985, Apr 28

1986, Apr 20

1987, Apr 16

1988, Apr 30

1989, May 4

1990, Apr 28

1991, Apr 25

1992, May 4

1993, Apr 28

1994, May 2

1995, May 3

1996, May 14

1997, Apr 30

1998, Apr 14

1999, Apr 26

2000, Apr 20

2001, May 02

2002, Apr 25

2003, Apr 27

2004, Apr 28

2005, Apr 19

2006, Apr 18

2007, Apr 29

Most likely the ice will be gone. No doubt about that... the big question is whether or not Pike Bay is closed. I'm already hearing rumblings that it's going to be closed, and Casey has a thrread that he heard the same thing... anyone hear a for sure yes or no yet?

My dock on the river is already starting to float! \:\(

Cliff

Our forklift ramp has water up on it. last 2 years it never even made it close to the top of the ramp.

New to Vermilion and the board here. Fraser Bay area.

I have a lift-out dock with removable decking. If the water is as high as you say, can I put my dock in? Or will the decking float away?

Welcome to FM/HSO, the Vermilion Forum AND Lake Vermilion! \:D

The decking will float away if it is to close to the water level or in the water when you drop the dock. Wave action will get it!

Use heavy duty nylon tie strips to tie the decking to the dock frame.

Works very well and is easy to install and is easy to remove in the fall.

Cliff

Welcome 25 hp, as Cliff said, depending on your location, they may very well get washed away by wave action. If you do tie them down, make sure you remove the ties when the water goes down, if you use one of the dock service companies on the lake. They get really unhappy when they have to undo all the pallets on a dock they are trying to lift.

At this time, you will not need to do anything unless you are prone to the big waves of Frazer Bay. If you are protected, you will be fine for now. The lake is going up at a rate of 1-2 in a day. The pallets on my lagoon dock are not in the water yet but will be shortly.

Jonny redhorse- can you let us know when the ice goes out on Jammer, so we can see how right you are, or so I hope. We need that ice to go.

Sorry if I dash anyones hopes of an ice free opener with this picture.

Remember, anything is possible. It may be gone, and it may be hard. Will just have to wait and see.

Here is a picture of a chuck of ice that was cut out of Daisy Bay in the general area of the public landing on Birch Point. As you can see, it is in pretty good shape yet.

P1000287.jpg