• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I don't know if this was brought up prior, but the concern I have is if the lake is open, are they going to have time to put the Hazard Buoys out? Many of us have fished the lake long enough to know where to NOT go. People that are showing up for the first time or so, may have some problems. There could be some serious damage done to them and their boats etc. if they are moving at a speed that could eject them from the boat. Give the rescue people their time to fish also. I put my dock in on Tuesday (Pike Bay) the water level dropped enough for that, but the water was cold on the legs, even with waders on.

Regards to all, and be safe.

Darrell Larson

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamrock7

• Cliff Wagenbach

• vermilionwally

• IslandHopper

There is a good chance that the hazzard bouys may not bt out for the opener. Be very careful out there!

Cliff

Nice heads up on the saftey factor.

I'm pretty sure the bouys wont go out until all the ice is clear, so by this weekend, no. Next weekend, maybe.

The wind is beating the ice pretty good today!

No bouy's would be a good excuse to pick up a GPS and a lake map chip!

At least you will have a good idea of where they are supposed to be. My H2O will be fired up as soon as I hit the water. Mostly because every year I get lost on my way back to the launch!! blush.gifgrin.gif

Ice went out on Elephant Lake yesterday - May 6.

How is the Gold Island/Fectos area coming along? How about Wakemup and Niles?

Apparently, the wind took a heavy toll on the ice today. We had to run to Duluth and just got back. Will post as soon as I get a chance in the morning but from what BEEGONE told me, we should be clear here shortly. More in the AM

Well, here are a couple more pictures. Greenwood Bay is opening out past Dodge Point. In our bay, the ice is off the north 1/2 of our bay. Out towards Gold Island, you can see other open areas. It is going but there is no real wind forecast for the next few days. Guess this is just enough information to make one delay the final decision further. Wish I could give you the all clear but can't.

Even though the pictures look really encouraging, the view straight north is all ice. Some water up towards Bystrom Bay and some along the north shore but the rest is ice.

This is looking towards Dodge Point from the marina.

DSC06446.jpg

This is looking towards the north from my house.

DSC06447.jpg

Sorry, can't see that far. I would assume that there is still lots of ice there or some of the guys from that area would be posting otherwise.

Even though I am finding a way to fish on cook end anyways, someone should take their Tyee and go on step and make some monster waves then quickly go take their boat out again in different open water areas throughout the lake... that might be the stupidest comment on here so far but those huge waves would chunk apart that ice pretty well... it would still need to blow somwhere but u get my point i think? Take one for the team

Thanks Shamrock, I figured you wouldn't be able to tell me but I was hopeing Cliff or someone on that end of the lake has been out by boat to check it out. Either way I will be up on Saturday. Just trying to decide where to land my boat.

Saw a picture of Big Bay on the Eagle Docks web site. Looks frozen.

Dad just called me from our place on Ely Island (facing 7 Sisters). He was able to get out there from Stuntz Bay. Won't be long now, he is putting the dock down.

Update: he said that there were a lot of ice flows between Stuntz and Ely Island but it was passable. Big bay is still ice covered. He doubted that it would be ice-free in 2 days. Also, it looked like McKinley park area was doubtful for launching a boat & getting anywhere.

Here is today's report as of 11:30 a.m. on my tour around the landings!

Hoodoo and the DNR Landing no visible ice anywhere. The dock is out on the DNR landing.

McKinley ice in and around the bay but just chunks, but as I cast my gaze towards birch island I still see quite a bit of ice past birch island but it is open out to birch island.

Stuntz bay it is amazing in two days that what was once ice covered is now completely open. I did not see any ice anywhere looking from the boat launch out into Stuntz bay.

It is sunny and very nice today, so the ice should be melting!

Just got off the phone with my son. He flew over Vermilion west end and said ice is pakced in around Taylors and Wake Em Up looked pretty packed. He said will try to send pictures.

Originally Posted By: mike@whiteeagle
Just got off the phone with my son. He flew over Vermilion west end and said ice is pakced in around Taylors and Wake Em Up looked pretty packed. He said will try to send pictures.

Uh-Oh!

Well, I'm on my way up in a couple of hours. These ice needs to go ASAP! I'll be up there for 10 days, staying at my cabin until next Sunday. Should be a little different tactics than in the more recent openers. The weather forcast isn't looking to great, as it shows only 50's for highs. I'll be in a 14 ft Forester (finally no bench seats!)with a 25 merc on the back if you see me out there say hello.

Airjer, this may be the picture that you were talking about. It was emailed to me by Eric at Eagle Docks.

photo.jpg

This is a picture of Wakemup bay. Lots of ice yet. it is still working but still lots of ice. North shore side has lots of water but with the NW wind, you can't get there.If we had yesterday's wind, we would be pretty well clear in our area anyway.

Guess that means the narrows will be a zoo if theres no where else to fish. So one could fish around the mckinley park to stuntz bay area and the pike bay narrows without problems from ice?

Just got off the phone with my uncle, he made it out to Ely island also, he said it took a little navigation, but still alot of ice around. on the east end as well. I'm still leaving for the BIG V Friday AM. A little ice will help keep my drink cold.

I would expect that most of the smaller bays like Armstrong are probably open.

I talked to my dad at 4:30 pm today. The ice is packed on the North side of Taylors island and impossible to get to Black Bay from the West side of the lake. We did have a small aluminum boat beached on the other side of the point so I can get to Black Bay- just not in my own rig.

Good Luck to all this weekend and be safe

Steve

So you couldn't hook around and come in from wakemup? Or is the whole area packed?

Big Bay is open on the South side of Ely Island as far as Mud Creek Bay. Armstrong Bay is still iced in as well as everything North of Ely Island.

Most of the open area opened up in the past couple of days.

Wind would really help!

Cliff

DSC06451.jpg

The view to the west of the Marina. To bad I didn't get the camera about 5 minutes earlier....really nice colors.

As you can see, the ice is really deteriorating quickly. Still a good solid pack north of the marina but all it would take is a little wind and it would be gone.

DSC06450.jpg

This is looking north towards Bradley Island. Some openings but really didn't progress much today.

Won't be long and we can let this thread die......

I will predict that there will be enough fishable water by Saturday morning to warrant coming fishing for those still waiting and seeing what happens. Daisy bay is over 3/4 out so that will work on this end of Big Bay.

Just everyone remember that just because you can get your boat into the water doesn't mean that there isn't some huge chuck of ice out there just waiting to try to capsize you. WEAR you life jackets and be extremely careful if you are out there after dark. Actually there really isn't much of a good excuse to be running after dark with partial ice conditions. A lousy walleye is not worth it. And I don't want to have to come out there and drag your soggy butt out of the water at zero dark thirty in the morning.... Enough of my motherly preaching, have fun out there and stop in for a coke and say "Hi"