• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone know the ice conditions for the BWCA Trout and Little Trout? What are the ice conditiosn around Moccasin Point?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamrock7

• Cliff Wagenbach

• vermilionwally

• IslandHopper

Not sure, we are tentatively planning on going into there too. Another poster in the BWCA forum talked about MODIS imagery satellites. I looked it up and it looked like trout had ice still on, but little trout might be ice free or close to. Its pretty hard to tell, long ways away. Not sure about the passage through vermillion though.

Vermilion typically goes out a few days before Trout.

Thanks, can you list or post the link to view the Modis imagery?

Thanks for the pic, that is pretty neat.

DSC06441.jpg

The first encouraging sight I have seen. The pack is starting to move. Not much but its a step in the right direction. I caution anyone from making the "GO" decision from this picture. This could bounce back and forth for a week before its all gone. BEEGONE (son) had an 18' glass boat up on top of the ice yesterday and it did not even break off any little cubes. Still lots of strength there

Thanks for keeping us informed. This suspense is killing me.

Hey Shamrock--thanks for the great info on conditions. The pictures help us all evauate things for ourselves.

Based on the photos and eagle eye it looks like the level is dropping. The hydrology web site says the vermilion river into crane has been going down for the last 2 day.

Keep up the good work

From my dock level, I would say that it has stabilized but not started dropping. Yet....

Well hows it lookin guys? Are we gonna be able to fish this weekend or what?? confused.gif

The guys (Fire Department) practiced with the airboat in Daisy bay tonight. BEEGONE said that the ice is really rotten out in the middle. If they stopped with the airboat in the middle, it sank in about 2" so it is getting rotten. The end of Daisy Bay has lots of open water. Still have my doubts for the weekend. Guess we have 3 days yet. Keep checking back, will try to keep fresh info here.

You will be able to fish, just a matter of where! The ice made some good progress today, still a ways to go yet.

Big Bay looked very black today. Still a toss-up as to whether it will be ice free by the opener though! I really think that it will be Monday or Tuesday before all of the ice is gone. cry.gif

Cliff

I'm really debating if I should drive the 5 hours up to Vermilion for this weekend. I really want to go up and fish but will I be able to?

We're staying at a resort in Big Bay. I guess what I here on here will help me decide what to do. So keep the updates coming. Thanks a bunch!

Yes , amazing even since this morning when there was just a little open water around the dock. check it at 10:04AM, there was a significant amount of open water. Maybe there's hope.

StillFishin'

It rained pretty hard last night and today there is a breeze

lookin the eagle eye bay will be gone today... I had a final exam at 8 am and took a look at it around 8:30.. the rain must have fixed it up pretty good, now everytime i look at it about a half hour later each time, there is significantly more water.. Plus looks like there should be some good wind over there today... looking good!

I think I am going to wait a week. The Eagle Eye only shows a small portion of the lake. There will still be ice on the lake this weekend and no one will be able to get a dock in due to the high water. The fish will still be there next weekend.

Just took my tour around the landings.

Hoodoo point no visible ice anywhere, except for some chunks floating around at the DNR landing.

McKinley there are chunks of ice right at the landing but when looking out from the landing ice is located around birch island, but looks fairly dark (from where I was looking).

Stuntz Bay was ice covered yesterday, it's open out to at least long island with quite a bit of open water in various places.

Today is sunny and semi-warm so lots of ice should go today.

Dave and others thanks for the reports. We out-of-towners appreciate them!

53orbigger

Has anyone checked the easgles nest lakes or armstrong? I'm coming up this weekend and was hoping to get out on one of the smaller lakes.

For you ice out junkies, here is your 12:00 fix. Little late, I know.

This is looking off the end of Bradley Road looking at Dodge Point (duck Blind)

DSC06442.jpg

This is looking again from the end of Bradley towards Greenwood Bay

DSC06443.jpg

This is looking north from the marina. Pretty tight yet.

DSC06445.jpg

But I will say that things are starting to move.

That 1st spot looks like a pretty good spot to fish. If it dropped off to 12-15' then had a 6' rocky hump just past that point, it would be nearly perfect.

In the first picture, out about 150 yards is where our winter road goes west to Fectos Point. That has split so there is a seam about 50 yards wide out there that you really can't see in the picture.

I've been watching the ice leave the bay on the webcam since early this morning. Wherever that is, the fishermen will have open water come Saturday. I mean, a bunch of ice has left there since yesterday and the entire webcam picture should be close to ice free by this evening. It appears that the dock in the picture may be underwater however.

All of the ice is not gone, it's just been pushed to the other end of Head-O-Lakes where it is stacking up. If the wind changed you would still see a bay full of ice.