• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO Team#3......Tom Terminators

fishnhooks

Checking in. Nice ot meet you guy a nd good luck to all. I am heading out on my first hunt on thursday in SD. Will be back on sunday. Will report in. Then I have a week off,and it starts all over again at home 218. Will keep you guys posted.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• fishnhooks

• Cooter

• huntingmaxima

Great! Where all here! Good Luck on your hunt Huntingmaxima. Can't wait to hear how it went for you. Sounds like you have a pretty ruff few weeks, I am sure glad that I do not have to go through that ;\)grin.gif

"hooks"

440 is south central MN. New Ulm area.(mostly riverbottom land by Fairfax) Private land and only 1 other hunter using the land for the opening week, so they have 4 weeks with hopefully? no pressure.

Hooks, those are nice prizes.

Huntingmaxima, glad you found us. Good luck in So. Dak. Where are you going? I spend a week in the black hills every fall.

Sabo, happy to have you with us too. Sounds like you got a good spot.

Cooter. You taking some rookies out who will get the first shots? Won't hold that against you. I did that last year, took a first timer. Five minutes into his first day-a 25 pounder! I shamed him into taking it to a taxidermist. 25 years of turkey hunting and I have never shot one that big.

Good luck to all, stay in touch.

Originally Posted By: DonBo
Joel, nothing personal taken. But that Wisconsin thing? I believe it does make the kills go up. It's worked wonders for me. grin.gif

I meant more the after-hunt cheeser bar stories makes your kill #'s go up grin.gif. Once had a guy at the Woodshed (Bloodshed) in Hager City tell me about a 6 foot turkey he shot. I think Cooter's heard all my stupid WI stories by now.

I've hunted WI a handful of times. Mostly up and down the river across from Red Wing near Plum City. Two tags, as well as another opportunity vs. MN definitely makes the kills go up! Agreed.

DD and I are hunting MN together, maybe WI? I'll be with a bow in MN and the WI season we drew overlaps. Decisions, decisions. Both if at all possible!

Was down at the river a few times. Mike and I had been doing pretty well. Check out the pics in the "Big Eye's of 2008 post".

Joel

Originally Posted By: jnelson
Was down at the river a few times. Mike and I had been doing pretty well.Joel

Joel, I checked out those photos, WOW! Nice. Wish I had more time for all that outdoor fun stuff this time of year... \:\(

DonBo - Joel has his buddies catch those big eyes and pays them to let him get his pic taken with em ;\)

Ahhh, so he's one of THOSE guys who'll do anything to get his picture in the paper? (or on the web?)

I'm starting to get a clearer picture of jnelson now...

Guys, before you go off on your hunts, check out the rules again. You will need a camera, tape measure, scale, witness, etc.

HSO Forum Member

Turkey Contest 2008

Complete this form with your turkey’s measurements. Include photos of your turkey’s spurs and beard with a ruler or tape measure. Include in one of the photos your turkeys filled out tag or slip of paper with the date of the harvest. The turkey’s weight must be witnessed and signed by you and the witness below on this form.

Forum Member:____________________ Date:_____________

Team Name: _________________________________

Youth Hunter(17 or younger):Yes _______ No ________

Turkey Subspecies: _____________________

State/Province Bird was Harvested In: ____________________

Turkey’s Stats

Beard Length ____________inches

Spur Length ® _________inches (L)_________inches

Weight ___________ pounds

The certify that the measurements listed above are accurate to the best of my ability.

Forum Member: ________________________ Date:_________

Witness: _____________________________ Date:_________

That's the best part; I'll concede that 'rak is a better walleye guy than myself, but that night I dinged the biggest. Of course he goes out two nights later and gets a bigger one.....but I won that night!!!

Taking pictures with other people's game should be against some man-rule. Man-foul or something. grin.gif

Joel

We have a first time turkey hunter in our group so he pulls trigger first - although I'm not sure if he'll get out of school for Thurs or Fri. Thus I'll likely have Wed morning to myself. Plus, his dad(the third in our group) is capable so those two can hunt together and I can go alone....though I want to help and be there when he gets his first bird. Have to git er done Wed!

Yeah, it's always fun to help someone with their first bird, deer, anything!

Good luck!

Just got back from SD. Never fire a shot. I passed on guite a few jakes, but my brothers were on the lucky ranch this year. We came back w/our birds but I struck out. The birds are still in big flocks, needs to warm up to get those hens going.

huntingmax, it's tough hunting out west when the birds are all flocked up. Still nice to get out in the woods though huh?

Better luck next week.

Huntingmaxima,

If I remember correctly you still have another chance here. Even though you didn't come home with one, it still sounds like a good time. Good luck for round 2!

"hooks"

I think that maxima has another "shot" here in MN. Then I have May 1-5. Was there someone else that had "D" as well?

"hooks"

I don't get to hunt till May 7th in Wisc. Archery only in MN this year. Maybe we'll finally get some nice weather by then.

I saw some turkeys in full strut yesterday in my area. It really got me pumped up. Too bad I still have to wait till may 6th.

maxima reporting in. i do not want to hex myself but i will get us a good bird. got guite a few good ones that i am keeping tabs on. in fact yesterday i was checking out one spot,and there was a good long beard all fanned out in the middle of the road.i think i could have shoy him with my daisy red rider. \:\)

Guys, what's the deal? Some of the other teams are already filled out, we're not even up to bat yet? That doesn't hardly seem fair. \:\(

How about you huntingmamima? You must be up this week? Then hooks? Man, is May ever gonna get here?

i start saturday. got guite a few birds spotted. i will guarrentee team #3 will be on the board by sunday nite. we have at least 8 long beard that have not been hunted yet. hey does anybody know where that borch guy lives i think he lives my way.

Can't wait to see the pics and score sheet Monday! I should be hunting right now....my uncles is just infested with turkeys at the moment. His brother-in-law got one right away yesterday and just sat in the blind watching. He said it was jakes and tom 3:1 over hens and claims he saw half a dozen hens. My old man hunts there next week.

I have a great area but due to the distance and gas prices won't get much scouting in. I can't guarantee anything although I've been 100% for years. No offense if anyone chooses, but I go home empty before I yank one on a jake. I will guarantee I'm gonna giver er hard! If we had next year's zone structure in place this year I'd be more confident. Good luck maxima!

maxima reporting in: we're on the board boys. 22lbs plus onces, 11 3/8 " beard

left spur 1 1/8"

right spur 1 1/8"

this morning sucked, went back out to the blind and we were surrounded by birds. i thinnk they had the feed bag on. i will try to post pics, but might have to wait for my daughter to do it for me.

suppose to be 10 3/8"beard

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Congrats Huntingmaxima!

Awsome bird!

Congrats maxima,

Sounds like a nice bird to get us on the board. I start this Thursday. I can hardly wait. \:D Sounds like rain Thurs and Fri though. \:\(

Great job maxima grin.gif

"hooks"

Awesome, I better get out and do some scouting I got May 6-10th and I have seen many birds on the property I'm hunting. I just got to pattern them just in case my calling is a little rusty \:\)