• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO TEAM #9..........Jakes or Better

FrontenacPike

HSO Team #9 cast of celebrities

Greybeard53........April 21-25 (462)

FrontenacPike........April 21-25 (341)

Schmidty........April 26-30 (442)

Green Diver........April 26-30 (346)

Elevatorguy........April 23-27 (blackhills)....May 16-?? (346 / 349)

Welcome friends, to Jakes or Better turkey camp headquarters

Thanks for starting us out Frontenac!

I'm likin' Camo \:D

But I'll throw out a couple more just in case.

Turkey Buzzards

Jakes or better

Purrs for Spurs

Hey guys! I am likin the Camo myself.

And I can't wait to get out there and chase some birds!!

So Team Camo who's up first?

I'm hunting April 21-25 in 462.

It's been a looooong winter so I can't wait to get out. But, I have the winter whites ready just in case.

I am starting April 23-27 in the Black Hills. And then I will be archery hunting by Houston,MN in zones 346 and 349 starting may 16 to when I have to go home. Hopefully just a few days after I get one. And I am ready too as it has been a long winter. And it doesn't help when the guy whose house I will be hunting behind keeps sending me picture messages of birds in his yard.

Well we got the name thing out of the way, hopefully the others won't mind. grin.gif

I'll be hunting 341B near Frontenac Mn. My dates are April 21-25. I've done some road scouting and seen birds feeding so far. Can't wait to get out. I'll keep everyone informed with scouting details.

Well guys we will have to go with plan B for name selection. I got a note from admin that our favorite pick isn't kosher. Time to throw some more ideas out.

Gobblin Thunder

Safetys off

Predators

Pattern Masters

Apollo's Finest (greek god of hunting)

Puttin & Struttin

That is a bummer I really liked that name... I will put in some more thought and see if I can come up with anything nifty to add as a possability.

Hi all. I like Jakes or Better since I like to play poker now and again. I will be hunting area 346 zone c. Good luck to you all.

Hey schmidty hope you don't mind we made a name before you arrived. Our you hunting Private or Public land?

I also am hunting private land. I've done a little road scouting and seen 9 birds in my field. I'm pretty sure there were 5 toms/jakes in the mix. I'm planning on getting out next week and doing my pre hunt scouting.

Where is everyone else hunting...private or public. Any scouting reports???

I'm hunting private land as well. I've hunted the same area for about the last 10 years.

The birds are definitely starting to break up, but I'm still seeing 15-20 birds in some groups.

Morning gobbling is really picking up. Late morning today I watched a nice Tom walking the field edge and going in and out of full strut. I can't wait.

Looks like the whole Jakes or Better team has got fairly early seasons. We should be five for five before the end of April \:D

I will be hunting public land in the Black Hills. But I will be crossing private land to get to the National Forest in an area that not many people hunt. The guy whos land we cross called today and whistled as birds gobbled, that I could hear through the phone, in his yard. I am getting very pumped and can't wait. I leave for SD on the 23rd.

As for my hunt in MN I will be hunting private land around Houston.

I really hate not being able to get out and scout. With gas prices and being 4 1/2 hrs away I couldn't afford to go scout. But the guys down there have a pretty good idea where the birds are. Also sounds like I may have alot more land to lock up for permission also.

Seeing the contest submissions from the first season has really got my adrenaline pumping for season B. Some great birds coming in already. Big congrats to all the successful hunters so far.

I feel like I'm on the bench at the beginning of a huge game. "Put me in coach!!!!"

I've done the scouting. I know the birds are there. Equipment is ready. Now comes the hardest part of the whole hunt. Waiting those last few days until my season starts.

I feel your pain greybeard about getting in the game. I have 4 more days and I will be out there. I am really getting pumped as I saw 2 longbeards strutting today east of Hinckley. Living in Duluth I don't get to see birds often but I am seeing them more and more. Actually I saw quite a few today on the road working today. I can't wait!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yeah thos turkeys are move further north. I've seen several to Willow River.

Is anyone having any luck???

I've called in 2 big birds both morning I've been out and just cant close the distance under 50 yards. Darn Decoys look like Decoys with no wind behind em. Monday morning I took a poke at a bird I thought was 40 yards, after steping it off it was 53 yards. He came in from a spot that I didn't expect and he never did see my decoy. He started getting leery, I shot he flew, then laughed at me and then was gone. I spend 2 1/2 hours looking, no blood and no bird. I darn near gave up turkey hunting, if it wasn't for my therapist DR. Budweiser encouraging me to give it another shot.

This mornings bird surprised me, not a single gobble until he was about 70 yards out. He moved in another 30 yards and gobbled and gobbled but refused to come any closer. Very frustrating, one of those smart public land birds. I located him about 2 hours later and moved in on him real real close. I was able to sneak with in 50-60 yards from him. The only thing that separated us was a large knoll. My first call to him was just 2 soft clucks, and he hammered it. He closed in and hung up just beyond a monstrous brush pile (30-40 yards). Once again he wouldn't budge, he hammered all my clucks and purrs but refused to move. Finally after 1 1/2 hours he hung up and that was the last I heard of him.

Tomorrow I'm heading to some private land, hopefully score one of those dumb uneducated birds.

Ive learned a few things about using decoys in the past couple years, and it really seemed to work for me. First off i dont want to critisize ur set and if i do its not my intention bc i have no idea what ur set up is.

I always place my decoy very close to me never more than 5 yards away, but i put it off to the side so there is no focus on me. The reason for this is that at 20-30 yds a turkey can tell that a decoy is a decoy.

Another hint that helps is use a decoy that doesnt have it head up. This may sound stupid but what does a turkey do when something isnt right-he sticks his head straight up in the air and looks around. So y would a turkey want to come in if another is already scared.

Ive been busted many times but these two things fixed that for me.

I've actually read several articles about decoys with there heads down, and yes next decoys I get will be with their head down or at rest.

I usually put my decoys out about 10 yards from the end of my gun. You also stated "put the decoys off set to your blind". I've read that can be good and that can also be bad. The negatives that the articles were talking about is: Turkeys have such good hearing that they can litterly pinpoint where a sound is coming from. If you are calling and the sounds doesn't match where the decoy is the turkey will be very leery. Ohh yeah always call when the turkey is looking away from you.....Too many wrights and wrongs and every turkey pro has there strategy...personally i don't think there is a wrong way.

But non the less, I'm always willing to listen to advice...thank you!!!

ronturkeyev0.jpg

I had a short season. Tagged one around 7:00am yesterday, so we're on the board.

Not a trophy, but a solid bird. 22.5 lbs, 10.25" beard and 1" spurs.

My set up was the corner of field edge along the top of a wooded valley. I had three decoys 25 yards out. A strutting Tom and two hens. At sunrise it seemed like constant gobbles from every direction. A few hens came out first. Mine was the first Tom to come out. He was about 50 yards away. He immediately saw the decoys and really put on a show. He covered 50 yards in about 10 seconds, and went to the Tom decoy and got right in his face gobbling all the while. I let him circle the decoy twice, bumping it and trying to get it to move, but then he stopped and stretched his head up so I decided to take him then. Fun to watch.

Ron:

That sure was quick! Good work, glad to hear there were lots of gobblers all around. Makes for a special hunt.

As for the bird, it's more than solid. I don't believe in passing on longbeards, as few people posess the skill to field-judge a gobblers weight/beard/spurs in the heat of the moment.

Those short-hunts are fun too, trick is not to go right back to work!

Joel

Thanks Joel.

Good advice about work.

I did get out of the area quick though because my son's license is for season "C", and I didn't want to do anything to reduce his chances. The shotgun blast didn't seem to have much affect though. The gobbling picked right back up within 15 minutes. I'm thankful I will get to spend some more time in the woods with him this weekend.

Hopefully I'll have pictures of his next week.

Way to go buddy, nice looking bird. Thanks for carrying the weight for the team.

Thanks Frontenac.

Have you been out since your last post?

Are you still seeing birds?

Well guys I got one today. And just a bit quicker that you Greybeard. I was about 15 minutes into my season. I got a 21 lb Merriam with 1 3/16 and 1 1/8 spurs an 8 1/4 beard. I will post story and pics when I get home. I have limited internet and will upload everything when I get home. We have 2 more tags to fill and now I get to be guide. I will be home sunday so by monday I will have everything posted.

And nice bird greybeard!!!

Way to go elevator... that's a great bird. You must've had them tucked in from the night before. Curious to see how the rest of your hunt went and which part of the hills you were hunting. Keep us updated with some pics when you get back.