• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markkstanley

• Gordie

• ike's tackle

• peterson71

What a hog, and thanks for the release. Now it is out there swimming to make more piggies for others to enjoy catching. grin.gif

GE

so what is the ice like on pepin? hopefully planning to go down on fri.-sat.

How will it effect the fishing with a forcast of..

Snow Shower 40% / Wind- N up to 22mph

40°h

32°l

As an inexperienced angler what should I be expecting?

Ther will probably not be any ice on Lake Pepin by the weekend. there are some large areas of open water and a little wind should open her up.

mw

Originally Posted By: Mike Walerak
Cold fingers grin.gif

And a few fish!

In all honesty, is it worth even going that day? I know.. "you can't catch fish from the couch" but will it be more of a mireable experience than an enjoyable one in attept to stay on the fish in those waves? I only have a little 14 footer..

A lot of you probabley have spots that will catch fish day in and day out but for me it's a litte different. I'm only a 20, and just starting to get more serious in the sport and I don't know enough about it to have reliable strategies in occations like this. Actually, I've never fished for walleye this early in the year.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys offer, I just don't want to make the drive and end up driving right back after getting pushed around in the water by the nasty weather..

The river never really gets all that rough. If it is wind i would head up towards the dam and use some hair jigs or jig and minnow presentation. Work the right side of the roller gates up along the trees. I have had good luck on windy days up there because there never really is no waves up there except for waves caused by boats. A bad day fishing is better than sitting on the couch. The only way to get better fishing this time of year is to practice and put in the time. Stop by IKES tackle in Red Wing Ike will put you on the fish.

Eyebjim mentioned the pig I caught a couple weeks ago. Here's the pic. She is still swimming! \:\)

DSCF0254.jpg

Vapor 33- There is always a place to get out of the wind in pool 4. However, if you wear enough gear to keep you protected in a snowstorm, you won't even know it is cold and windy out....ok, you may notice the wind a little. Bring a balaclava to protect your face, those things are a lifesaver on windy cold days. If you forego this weekend because of weather, you may miss out because the spawn could be done any day. That's what is so fun about chasing eyes during the spring, you never know when that 30" pig is gonna bite and you never know when it is gonna be all said and done. Usually it is like someone flipped a switch.....you make the decision though....couch or boat??

GE

Originally Posted By: GoggleEye
Vapor 33- There is always a place to get out of the wind in pool 4. However, if you wear enough gear to keep you protected in a snowstorm, you won't even know it is cold and windy out....ok, you may notice the wind a little. Bring a balaclava to protect your face, those things are a lifesaver on windy cold days. If you forego this weekend because of weather, you may miss out because the spawn could be done any day. That's what is so fun about chasing eyes during the spring, you never know when that 30" pig is gonna bite and you never know when it is gonna be all said and done. Usually it is like someone flipped a switch.....you make the decision though....couch or boat??

GE

Thanks, it looks like the winds are actually going to be less now, somewhere near the 16mph range but temps have dropped to below freezing.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT THERE!!! I can't believe the size of those fish ya'll are catching.. \:o

Do any of you get replicas of those pigs? If I catch one like that EVER there's no doubt I would...

Another question, do you think the fish are biting down in the Winona area? Or is it just a spawning thing that happens to a larger scale up in pool 4?

I think I might go up to RW on Saturday and since it's closer I might try Winona area (I believe it's 5a) on Sunday. Anyone having any results from down there? ...nobody seems to be updating that area on the forums.

Hi all got out this week on pool 6 caught plenty of eye's & saug's on the float at lock 5A and out in the boat fishing anywhere from a mile down stream up to the dam with the better of the 2 being away from the dam.Water has been going up along with the current so eddie's back channel's and any out of heavy current area's come into play.This week had to change thing's up a bit went to a little heavy'r jig from 3/8-3/4 depending on the current and was places we got away with 1/8 not many.I did get a few bigger fish this week biggest being a 30 inch 10.9 eye put back in the water for another day.Lot's of fish in the 17-19 inch range wich is nice to see.Anyways the water is getting faster and dirty'r and the fish seem to be in school's more so dont be affaid to get out look for some new area to fish not just by the dam it does pay off if you move around.Till next time see yea on the water good luck out there. So far this week it's been tuff the water went from 42 and today i had readings from 36-38 temps so the fishing has slowed but still fish to be caught but i would get away from the dam seem's the fish are.Good luck cool.gif

This might seem like a rookie question, but what exactly is a blade bait you guys are using? is it a spinner bait, or just a lindy rig spinner?

Nevermind that question, i know what they are.

i myself would use the sonars that have been dipped in powder paint and baked. The paint will never chip off like the air brushed ones. They look good but 2 or 3 jigs off the bottom the paint just peels off.

Nice oinker! I know that spot grin.gif

I'm checking into two replicas from last weeks catch and I will be doing some photo blow ups for the wall.

the way things have been going I'm goig to have to start the thirty year payment plan with the taxidermist.

I think everyone knows that spot!!!! Have you seen how many boats are jigging in that area at one given time!!!! Definitely a big fish producer. That eye is a pig.

Goggle, et.al. - We were *near* that popular spot, we were actually moving quickly from the main channel back to it with lines down and back when she bit me, and we kept moving upriver and toward shore while I coaxed her in. What a LOG on a med-lite graphite spinning rod and 8 pound mono. The jig hook actually bent, too. Just seconds before, eyebjim broke a fenwick on a snag, so we were a bit frazzled already. Lots of excitement! Oh, and eyebjim got a free replacement from fenwick, so he didn't have to sacrifice a rod for my pig, he got an upgrade. :-)