• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ripple or Dam Lake near Glen are always good for big gills. You might also look at Swamp Lake near Glen as well. It is kind of hard to get into as it is way the heck back in the woods east of Glen. Take the South Clear Lake Road around Clear lake and when it turns left on the east side, keep going straight.

Take the road about 6 miles east until it ends. Then take a left onto the logging road and take it as far as the boat landing on Swamp lake. The logging road ends at the boat landing.

The lake is very shallow and gets little fished except by the locals. It contains, crappies, perch, bull bluegills and huge pike.

Be aware that if you get stuck in there they will probably find your wolf eaten carcass next spring sometime after the thaw. The nearest farm is about 2 miles away and I think people back that way eat their young? So you are taking a chance stopping for help there!

Other than the wolves, bears, lynx and assorted other creatures zoology has not yet classified, Swamp is a neat little lake that gets little attention.

Good Luck! Let me know if you make it back!

Tight Lines!

Uncle kes

Know you got me all excited for an adventure. I love fishing when theres a sense of danger. But anyway I live in the crosby area and have went all year without any real monster sunfish. Is there any left? Lots of 6 -7 inchers but no real monsters.

Goggy esquagama and wakenabo have produceing some nice gills. Has little or big manomen been produceing any? There are a few lakes in your area that i would try. Indian jack,upper dean or maby twin or island lake. Good luck.

Well, unless the Pike have eaten them all I would guess there are a few left. Swamp is not well known because the DNR use it as a test lab to study various fish species. You CAN fish it though. Just be aware that the DNR is usually on the lake or close nearby by so be sure to take your license along with you.

My folks have a cabin on Clear Lake so I learned about Swamp years and years ago. Conditions are quite primitive. The Lake is completely surrounded by the McGrath Game Refuge and the boat landing is kind of like what boat landings were like back in the 1930's and 40's. It is just clearing in the forest that abuts a shallow spot of water with a hard bottom. There are no amenities like a satellite so be sure you do your business at home before you go or be prepared to squat in the woods like the bears do.

The Lake is about 700 acres. It is a shallow dishpan lake that gets very weedy later in the year. There is a small creek that runs into the lake and allows access into and out of the lake. I have been told the creek runs into Mille Lacs but am not sure about that. It may just be part of the Mille Lacs watershed?

In all the years I have fished Swamp I have never caught a Pike that was under 7 lbs. and they are still in there. Mostly I don't keep Pike when I catch them if they are any size. I prefer the smaller ones to make fish cake out of.

The Pike feed on panfish and the lake has large jumbo perch. It is excellent in winter but because of the difficulties in getting back there in winter it is rarely fished in during the ice period. A few people will snowmobile into the lake, set up portables or stand on the ice and fish but you don't see permanent shelters on Swamp Lake. Perhaps the DNR prohibits them? I am not sure?

The average depth of the Lake is about 10 -12 feet and as I recall the deepest spot is about 14 feet.

Swamp also has big bull bluegills and slab crappies. You have to move a bit to find them because there are many small ones too, but with patience you can get some very nice limits.

Good Luck! Maybe I will see you there this summer.

Tight Lines!

Uncle Kes

Sounds like I'll have to give swamp a try. How big of boat can a guy get in there? Well I just got back from chasing those big gills. Found plenty of 6-8" fish but nothing bigger.

goggy, stop in at oars n mine sometime and talk to jesse, he can point you in the direction of some bigger fish

I went to Swamp lake a little over a month ago. We drilled all over that lake and found nothing deeper than 6 to 7 feet. We spent about 4 hours out there and had half a dozen 4 inch perch to show for it. I have to beleive ther are much better options in the Aitkin area than Swamp lake. And by the way that area is posted for no atv use.

Goggy eyes: I have a 14 foot Aluma-Craft V-Hull and I don't have any trouble getting it in and out of the landing. How big a boat were you thinking of dragging back in there anyway? I should think you would be alright with a 16 footer and maybe even an 18. I personally would be a bit leery of anything over 16 feet though or something with a large draft. The landing is OK for larger boats if they have a shallow draft though.

Powerworm! I am amazed you did not do well on Swamp! I always do well there! I was unaware of the ATV rule. It must be something new the DNR has put up because like I say they use the lake as a test lab for their fish studies.

You must have hit a really off day is all I can say! Sorry to hear you did so poorly!