• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

predictions

I was waiting for someone to start this thread..

March 21 for small boats pushed over the shore ice.

March 25 for larger boats.

26th for small boats. April 1 for big rigs.

Too bad I will just be reading this year.

Don't really care how soon....just as long as the river is open by April 12th! If this weather keeps up, who knows!?!

Leech,

I'll be up there around the same time. I'll throw out April 2nd for Birchdale, a bit later for Vidas/Frontier. I'm just hoping the Little Fork doesn't turn the Rainey into chocolate milk when we're their. I've had that happen too many times. I didn't go last year, but the last few days of the season was the right time to be their. Hope this timing plays out again this year.

I will guess around April 2-3 for big boats at Birchdale. The open water is about 15-17 miles away from Birchdale tonight. Last year I fished the last 2 days of the season around the Frontier area and the fishing was outstanding. The weather was beutiful, and the landings were crazy. That Friday night I dropped my fishing partner off to get the pickup at the landing around 7:45pm and we wern't off the river till about 10:30!!! It was amazing the fishing stories I heard that evening floating around the river in the dark though. Good Luck see ya out there

With more current than last year and higher temps it has to open earlier than last year which was around the 1st. Can't open soon enough!

Just a guess but pretty sure it will be wide open for opener .... May 10th.

Just messing with you. Got quite a few guys who are gambling that it is the 28th of March. If the weatherman could predict the weather more than 24 hours ahead, we would have a better chance of predicting ice-out.

It's really suprising how many folks think ice-out is something planned by the DNR, Tourism Bureau, or resorts like us. No more long-range predictable than first or last frost.

Two weeks of this "warmer" weather should do some good damage to the ice. I'll go ahead and think positive. Im still thinking there will be a line at birchdale the wknd of March 28th. (Probably because thats the only wknd I can spring fish the river)

I'm optimistic!!! Told momma tonight not to plan on the boy and I for Easter dinner.

I'm heading up there next week do you all think that it is worth heading up there?????

I pretty much gave up on the predicting. Last year, went up and fished the most brutal weather I have ever been in in a boat. Broke ice big time, and put a big divet in my keel guard...glad I had that on. Stayed at the Royal Dutchman that night, where Doug was kind enough to help me thaw out my boat. The next morning, the river was frozen solid. It was -5 degrees with a -20 windchill. That was the first week of April! So, we cut holes in the ice with my chain saw, and went fishing with our summer gear.

When they say that Birchdale is open for Big Boats, I drive up the next day. I realize that I'm really fortunate to be flexible enough to be able to do that. I know most folks can't.

I'm sure hoping it'll be small boats over ice by this coming weekend, and then big boats a few days after that. Only time will tell.

I'll keep you guy's posted i'm heading up there this afternoon... Bringing both Ice Gear and Summer.. Hopefully Birchdale is cracked open in the next couple of days.... Ready to rip some lips!!!!!