• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Sandmannd

Strikemaster Problem

Question

Sandmannd

I bought a strikemaster from D-rock in January and it's been great. Used it yesterday on the croix and the first 10 holes I drilled were like butter (as usual). We set it down and fished. An hour or so later went to drill more holes and it took forever to get through the ice and it was wobbeling like crazy as it was drilling. Any idea what would cause this?

18 answers to this question

BottomPounder

check your blades. If its wobbeling i would bet the screws on your blades are loose or missing. Good Luck

Scott K

Shaft could be loose, blades bent, or loose, shaft bent, blades iced up, pitch off.

Sandmannd

I checked the shaft and it was tight. The blades are both still there. They were iced up but we thawed them in the house and didn't help. Shaft doesn't appear to be bent. I will make sure the blades are loose, they don't look bent either. How can you tell if the pitch is off.

Scott K

I think, only D-rock, or SM, has the tool to check and adjust it. They should do this for free.

Eric Wettschreck

During the course of drilling holes if the auger was "Pushed down" on there is a decent chance your pitch is off.

If you send your auger shaft to SM they will check it out and repair for you. This is a fairly common occurance.

McGurk

Another thing to do is check for burrs on the point (NOT the blades). I had some and lightly hand-filed them off. It cut much better after (SM LazerMag 8"). Sound like blade pitch, though, possibly caused by pushing down on the auger. With a Lazer Mag you can just let it pull itself down, no need to lean on it. If you do need to push down, there is a problem. Take her back to DRock, they've taken care of a LOT of people here for free or next to free.

Sandmannd

Yea, I was going to take it in to D-Rock, they are great to work with. Just wanted to see if there was something simple I was missing.

HateHumminbird

It's been said before, but if you're anywhere near Big Lake, their main service shop is great. I was just there getting my brother's auger a quick-tune, set of blades, and some other goodies. Like always, they took care of it while I waited, and for cheaper than I could've ever assembled the parts and done myself.

I thanked Cy and Jason for taking good care of me, and all Cy said was, "Some people think that good service ends once a sale is made, we think that's when it begins."

As a major bonus, while I waited I got to shoot the bull with the Griz, who was there talking with one of the shop guys.

Joel

FRESHWATER PETIE

The "GRIZ", legionary guide from mille lacs?

walleyeaddict

Yep i agree sounds like the pitch.

Sandmannd

I dropped it off at D-Rock today, they said it should be ready tomorrow afternoon so we'll see what they come up with.

FL SNIPER

My guess is the blades got niked some how. Especially how you said it worked great and then it didn't. Maybe your fishing partner hit the blades with his metal ice scoop or something and didn't even realize it. Strikemasters are great augers but it don't take much to mess up the blades. I'm sure D-Rock will take care of you and get you back up and running good. Please post outcome.

Fisherman For a Lifetime

I gotta lean on my LaserMag a lot, ideas??

Eric Wettschreck

You shouldn't have to lean on your auger. If you are, you are ruining it more. I'd get the pitch checked and a good set of blades. Normally, one or both of these things are the problem.

ice_it_06

Mine pretty much pulls itself with very little pressure needed ever.

Dull blades were the only time I've noticed more of a push effort required.

Thought I had a pitch issue last time it happened. Turned out to be the blades. New set and cutting like butter again.

jwhjr

As stated, you shouldn't need to push on it at all. I just set mine on the ice and go full throttle. It pulls right through with little effort on my part.

Sandmannd

Just got mine back from D-Rock today. They said the pitch was gine but the blades were dull. Not sure how that happened since I bought it in Jan. Well it only cost me $20 so I got new blades and hopefully try it out this weekend.

Eric Wettschreck

It's amazing that blades that feel sharp enough to shave a Yak with may be dull to the point they don't cut ice very well.

Good to hear you're back in the game. We have a few weeks of ice fishing left to go.