• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Dooley87

mooney lake in plymouth???

Dooley87

when i was a kid there was a spot to fish from shore and we would just hammer the bass and panfish, i have just recently learned that the lake only gets 10 feet deep and it was stocked by area homeowners. it is a no motor lake (under 5 hp) and i am geting a canoe this year so i was just curious if there is anybody who has any experience with this lake? it has been 7-10 years since i have fished it so i'm just curious if there has been any winter kill etc, any info on this lake is welcome thanks.

Dooley87

i kind of figured i was taking a shot in the dark, i just remembered the amazing fishing i had as a kid, i literly had bluegills almost inhale a zara spook, tons of bass, the bass were all small then but they would hammer anything, just figured since it has been about 7 years that maybe they have grown. the only real problem with fishing this lake that there is no access or parking, you have to access it from a trail and i don't think you can park next to the trail, we always had our parents drop us off. i'll have to check it out this summer.

Lunker

If you look on Lakefinder on the MN DNR you can find info on Mooney. Here are the species listed as caught in the nets. Pike and crappie look they have a pretty good size structure. Very few gills were caught, which is surprising. Bass are probably present, but the nets don't usually catch many and electro-shocking is the best way to sample these, which they didn't do on this lake.

Carp

Yellow Perch

Northern Pike

Green Sunfish

Bluegill

Black Crappie

Black Bullhead

Doesn't look like an incredible lake, but some decent size to some of the species.

mylineswet

I was out there this past winter with some good fishing. I had a fishing buddy with me that was out there this last weekend and did not get a bite. He went around to holes that were drilled the previous day only to find small sunfish swimming at the top of the hole. He then drilled in closer to shore and could see nicer sized sunfish laying on the bottem dead. When I was out there the size and quantity of sunfish were good. I also had some bass bite but they were small but fun to catch. I did not see the dead fish myself but feel it is a reliable source. Hope this helps.

Carp-fisher

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Mooney and lakes like it are going to be pretty stinky come ice out. Should be good in 3 or 4 years though...

CALVINIST

Was out on Mooney last week. Mooney is shallow, no more that 11 feet deep, very few weeds, and subject to winterkill. The panfish were lethargic and not interested in my offerings at all, which leads me to believe that the oxygen levels are pretty low in that lake.

iFishMN.us

Same things happening on the lake Ive been fishing, Im pretty sure the oxygen is getting low, only hooked 1 fish last night, missed about 5 that bit, thats out of 30 or so that showed up on the vex, not normal at all for this lake, spot, and presention. As much as I dont like it, it usually is good for the lake if its just a partial kill, which it usually is.

Dooley87

well that is too bad to hear about the dead and dying fish out there, hopefully the crappies out there are o.k. thats my main focus for ice out. i just remembered the great fishing when i was a kid and since the lake was so small and all most un-accesible i just figured that the lake would have amazing fishing. i'll still have to try it out this summer, bring back some old memories \:\)

CrappieFshr651

Keep talking about the amazing fishing and not long after iceout that lake is gonna be a stinkhole, with no fish.

Dooley87

if it was a lake that had a landing with parking etc i would think twice about it but a guy really has to go through a lot of work to get out and on to this lake since you have to hike a trail to get back to it and you can not park next to this trail, then on top of that it is no motor lake and from what i've been hearing the fish aren't anything special so who would go through all that work for something they could get on a nieghbooring lake like medicine or minnetonka with lots of structure and access for large fishing boats. all i was stating is that i remember it having great fishing when i was a kid, of course when i was a kid 5 10" bass was great fishing. just always liked the lake and was curoius what it has been doing lately

MinnetonkaMan

I was out there a few years ago with some buddies and the sunfish were huge but only one problem they were full of dark worms not just the white little ones but big ones that spewed juices out when you fillet the fish. Im just lettinpeople know because those worms I cant deal with eating.

blackdog1101

Originally Posted By: bearbait87
all i was stating is that i remember it having great fishing when i was a kid, of course when i was a kid 5 10" bass was great fishing. just always liked the lake and was curoius what it has been doing lately

Maybe would have been better if you had taken a couple hours to check it out for yourself. Like the other fellow said, you've pretty much guaranteed that whatever decent fish this lake had will be fished out by June.

Chisox

Bearbait shoot me an email. [email protected]