• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

perch goin' yet?

walleyeJoe

might be headin' up this weekend just wondering if anything has picked up in the last 2 weeks.....

yea im going up saturday morning so hopefully they will cooperate.... but i have heard that they are gorging themselves on blood worms... and i dont really know where i want to go out of...maybe isle for crappies and perch, or maybe the flats... its all still in the works...

I plan to give it a try on Fri., heading out from the south side.

Anyone know how late it is generally before the perch will start ot move in to the bays?? I know they are in the mud now but for how long, what is the typical movement???? thanks

I have always known that the perch are in the bays first ice. In March I do well in the 22'-30' range.

I was up the last Saturday of walleye season and found some great perch action just off some deep rocks in 25 FOW or so. They were just hammering a big jigging spoon tipped with euro's. You should be able to find some perch on any and all the structure the lake has to offer. Stay mobile, work hard and don't be afraid to fish big baits.

Gunderson, there are perch everywhere all the time. In other words, the perch are not only on the flats now, but are in the bays and everywhere in between. As it gets closer to the spawn, the perch will move shallower or onto gravel. The bays should be good in a few weeks, but so will many other locatiosn

i have herd some pretty good not great but good reports for perch in the rocks and gravel of the sout east side so i might go out from there... im just going to go to the deeper holes and move my way shallow with the aqua vu and try to find some perchies!!

Any recent reports from this week? I'd like to run up and fish but haven't heard alot of encouraging reports.

Tunrevir~

I would say, look at the gravel out side bays and reefs (in about 20-25 feet of water) in the next week and a half to the end of March (the warmer the better).

The big ones will travel in packs separate from the smaller ones. When I am talking big ones, I mean big.

As old as it may sound, but mobility is the key factor and going back to holes you fished out of is a must. Electronics’ is a must. A camera is nice and is great if you are stationary, but a flasher gives you the quickest way to locate fish from hole to hole. When the sun is high and people are out on buckets is the best. As much as I hate to give out great fishing spots, Doe Island reef out onto the main lake is probably the best perch spot on the lake, but you will have to work for them.

As far as bait goes, an med. to small jigging spoon tipped with minnow head, to a crappie jig and a small crappie minnow will work. For crappies on other lakes, I like to adjust on one particular situation, but perch on Mille Lacs I will have several rods rigged up and switch at a moments notice to give them what they want.

Look for me out in about 2 weeks. I wonder if Paul is plowing perch roads whistle.gif.

Good luck!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Click here and scroll down about 8 post's to se one of my last years perch trips to the Doe Island area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

!!!!!!!!!Click here and scroll down about 7 post's to see the latest frenzy from Appeldorns, which is right on the Doe Island action!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am not saying perch can not be caught right now, but it is so much easier when its 40 Deg. outside and sunny...

Double good luck!!! grin.gif

Shack,

Our roads are open to late season perch spots.....now we just need a little warm weather \:\)

Paul,

That is great to hear.

Last year we where hit with a mid March snow storm and Appeldorn's went to the enth-degree to make all of Doe Island reef and the gravel/sand out into the main lake accessible by vehicle. They crisscrossed a major perch area with roads, just for us March perch fisherman.

Very cool in my book.

I know the spot in the bay where the pigs are hangin out grin.gif. I am goin on sunday and will report back.

I have had some very good outings late in the year working the north side sand. Move! move! move!

i was up there 2 weekends ago and 3 weekends ago.i fished on the north end out of the red door just on the first break line and we ended up catching some nice jumbos.the biggest being a 13 incher and the smallest being a 9 incher