• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Infishquinn

94 Bridge

Infishquinn

I have been wondering what the story is with the increasing number of people fishing just South of the 94 bridge. I saw a ton of people fishing it late fall and now there have been a lot of people fishing it on hard water. Are they targeting walleyes? I'm just curious if its worth checking out, since its quite a walk with a big heavy fish trap! Thanks for any info.

FL SNIPER

I've fished out there (10 years ago) when I lived closer to the area. Yes...people are after sauger and walleye there. I have had some real good outings there before. We used to park on the Wisconsin side off a frontage road and walk out from there...however I'm pretty sure they put the kibosh on parking there now. With the warmer temps you should be able to pack light and fish on a bucket (leave the trap in the truck). Jigging raps worked well for me.

ChompChomp_YANK

I have fished it in late fall and did good on walleyes /sauger. but have never fished there on the ice. I used the landing on the mn side just south of the bridge.

GoggleEye

Every morning on my way to work I see them out there and every evening on my way back I see someone out there. I don't think there has been a day I haven't seen someone out on that shallow flat just south of the bridge. They must be hammering the fish out there!! I wish I could fish every day like that. They must be "lay off" guys. confused.gifgrin.gif

GE

uwleagle

Where are these guys accessing the river? and how much ice you think is there? I wouldn't mind trying a new area.

safarionice

I have also been curious as to the action south of the bridge. I drive over the bridge daily, and this week I have seen people walking out at about 6:30 am, and in the afternoon on my drive back to WI., there seems to be a small city out there. The early morning walkers seem to be coming in from the north side, walking under the bridge, and then proceed to their fishing spots. Last week I noticed some pickups parked along the road, north of the bridge where the private boat landing is. Maybe this will help you out, Lacrosse Eagle!!!!

blueroof

Hate to be chicken little, but from what I've seen and heard, the ice around here is not stable and can change daily.

LB

Buck_Hunter04

Yup, you might find yourself in Prescott. If your locator suddenly starts reading all different depths, you might be on a floating ice raft heading down river. But the fishing will come to an end soon for it closes on Saturday March 1st I believe.

Infishquinn

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure if I'm going to try it tomorrow. That would be something to open up the trap and be in a different spot!! I might poke around tomorrow and see where the best place is to access it. I'm assuming you have to go on from the WI side due to the open water, but if you have to park at that big boat place North of the bridge it must be quite a haul, unless I'm over estimating the walk. I'll post what I discover tomorrow.

GoggleEye

Ya, they are walking from north of the bridge and parking at the private boat launch there right on 35. You can see their tracks walking from there and under the bridge. Some of those guys are fishing no less than 20 yards from open water. I am sure it is safe or I would think they wouldn't be doing it.....maybe not. If you would happen to float away on an ice chunk, at least you could troll during the ice season and cover water like crazy. You would hit land eventually...... grin.gif

GE

nate p

Hello,

The do get sauger south of the bridge and if you get into them, you really get into them. I fished it a lot in college (River Falls) and have onyl been out there 1-2 times a year the last 3 years. I'm going out Sat. morning around 5:30am - 6:30 am if anyone is interested. They've posted "no parking" signs where I used to park so I need to figure out where I'm going to access the Croix from. If I remember correctly, the ticket is $10.....might be worth the $$$ to save on the walk from north of the bridge. If anyone is interested in joining please let me know.

Best,

Nate

croixeyes

If you guys want to learn how the current in that area works,watch when it warms up.You will see how the river streams from the mn side and makes its way to the sconnie side.This year has been outstanding for building ice so alot of that area will be safe.Please dont go wandering around if you havent been out there though.I ventured down to the afton area last weekend and found solid ice except around catfish bar,where there is a big area of open water.Kinda spooky when your the first one making tracks,but the area I was in I know pretty well as far as currents go.

Infishquinn

I got lazy and didn't snoop around, so unfortunately I don't have anything to add on the deal.

chillythe1

there is a place that runs underneath the 94 bridge on the mn side but im pretty sure you cant park there legally even though there is a big enough area to park a few cars... as far as the big boat place that is a really far walk north of there, im guessing you are talking about bayport marina, i would even think of parking there...i work there and i know that your car will be towed immeadiatly, there is also 24 hour surveillance cameras, and is patrolled continuously by the bayport police and the night guard who takes over after business hours..yeah you think rent-a-cop but until youve seen him you have no idea..he is a bad mofo who is itching for someone to do something...im on his good side thank god