• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies on Ole' Miss.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• EBass

• HawgTide

• Mark Christianson

Here is smallie magnet Mike with his trophy smallie from yesterday - 20.5". Nice job Mike!

fab75e03.jpg

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 10-27-2003).]

The guy fishes the river twice and has two huge pigs to show for it. The one, the only, SMALLIE MAGNET! You go with your bad self.

I wondered what would happen if BigMike fished BigMilleLacs - New State Record!?

DazeOff, you've got mail. I sent the full size pictures. Let me know via email that they worked. Sometimes larger files don't upload just right, so just let me know and I might have to send them from home email.

Ebass, you crack me up! LOL. Magnet-schmagnet... Beginners luck is what I say to that. To be honest, I attribute both of those beauties to the guys that took me out. That is what I was trying to say earlier is that I am greatful to all of you for making this a great month of smallmouth fishing... When I'm on the B.A.S.S. pro-circuit and holding up those piggies at the tourney weigh in, I'll remember my roots and the four guys that made it all happen cool.gif LOL.

Don't worry Ebass, I put them all back for us to catch next year. And by next year, that 20.5'' will definitely be over 21'' grin.gif.

And about that mille lacs state record. Let's go smile.gif. I've always wanted to fish that lake. I've heard that there is just some monster beauties in there!

Smallie Magnet + Mille Lacs = New state record! wink.gif

I watched Cito BassMaster on Sun Am. There's a 20 yr guy and a 26 yr old that are the young guns of the Citgo tourny. It can happen BigMike, but you need that boat. Well so do I, a bass boat that is. Then quit you job and fish! The lottery would help - lol

Memo to Big Mike...do we have to tell the whole World Wide Web where all the good bass spots are in the state of Minnesota ? A little discretion please. Some of these spots you fish at are very small. Plus from your previous posts, you do not own a boat and are actually fishing someone elses hard earned spots.

I am not sure of the current fishing standards, but in the past most fisherman would never tell thousands of people where they caught their fish. I know that it feels good to brag, and it also feels good to help folks to better success but maybe some generic tips would suffice, i.e , " the bass are biting on the local rivers' , or "crank baits shallow " , etc.

It appears from your many posts that you have the email addresses of your pals, why not keep some of this semi-private ?

Remember loose lips sink ships !

Juneau,
10 posts to your record since 2001?????
Hmmmm. Lots of reading on your part, of our hard hours on the water and in the woods, and nothing in return from you.
Maybe Big Mike is talking a lot, but you sure are not adding much, and what are the odds you are taking all these "leads" and using to your advantage?

Keep the fun going Big Mike and others. I don't care, and you are posting results from "my backyard".

Bring on the 2004 Smallie Magnet Mania Showdown.

Juneau,
I want to start off by apologizing if it seems like I have been giving away fishing spots, I too agree with the fisherman code that many spots are coveted and would never entertain the thought of giving up secrets to thousands. And you are right in saying I don’t have my own boat but I think I have made it clear that I am more than grateful for every opportunity that has been presented to me and I don’t believe I have compromised those honey holes shown to me. I can sort of see how you may conclude that I have given up holes by stating I caught a couple nice fish on the Rum, but to be honest, that is a lot less info than what was previously posted on this particular topic and on the Rum River topic posted a week ago. I have not posted anything more than that. I really think you should go back and read page 8 and 9 of this thread and I think you will recant your stance on my posts. The rum is a 145 mile long river from Mille Lacs to the Mississippi (see DNR website) with great fishing along most of its stretches. I think it is fair to say due to the previous posts that the stretch most known and heavily pressured is the stretch in metro, but it’s that way because of the fact that it is IN THE METRO. There are many great lakes and rivers that hold nice fish around this state, many of which have been discussed in GREAT detail in many of the other topics posted on FM, so why this post and why now?

Finally I concede if it has come across that I have been bragging or gloating. That is most definitely not my personality nor my intent. I think those that I have fished with could vouch for me in this regard. I can only ascribe your feelings to my excitement for smallmouth fishing. I enjoy sharing in others excitements as well as I hope others share in mine. Let’s keep that excitement up as we look to next season and a possible Smallie Magnet Tournament smile.gif.

I don't feel that Mike is giving away any specific hot spots. All of these areas are well known to have good smallie populations, and nothing more than general area information was even given. This site is about sharing fishing information, and you will see that people are fairly liberal about giving away good information to help others.

BigMike is just excited about it. It is nice to see guys who don't get a chance to fish some different areas get the opportunity through FishingMinnesota. I took and posted some of the pics, he didn't request these be posted. He is in no way bragging. If you knew him, you would know that he isn't the type of guy to go bragging about fish he caught. This is all in fun. Keep up the good reports!

Amen Biglakeba$$! Plus what did BigMike really say? Did he say the Rum River? Everyone and thier ma fishes there. It's no secert, he didn't say where in the river. And as long as everyone of us puts back that wonderful smallie I don't see the harm. Just remember one thing - these are PUBLIC waters.

Juneau...I was one of the persons who asked where these smallies were. I tried to get exact locs. Did'nt happen. I'm fine with that. The only thing I got out of mike was that they went to the rum, And he was'nt the only one.Like Ebass said every lake or river Is Puplic. And no secrets were exposed...so smile and fishhhh.

Back to fishing grin.gif, this weather stinks. Is it too much to ask for just one more warmer weekend? I've got early symptoms of B.A.S.S. - Bass Shakes are starting to settle in! LOL. I think that I may be done for the season. Just looked at the weather and it is going to be fluctuating between mid 20's to mid 40's with rain & snow mix off and on for the next week and a half! frown.gif No bueno. The cold I can handle, but wet and cold is just a little too much.

I guess I'll start the plans for the smallie magnet tournament this spring to keep me busy over the off season. BigMike and ice don't mix well.

I second that. This weater stinks. But its a time for change. Which means I'll be changing into my bibs and heavy jacket for some ice fishing! The water temps are going to fall real quick this week. The sun hasn't been out for days.

It looks like Friday and Saturday it's going to be in the mid to upper 40's. Rain on Friday and just cloudy on Saturday. I think that might just be good enough for me to get out for one last attempt. I've got the bass shakes bad! I can't believe I'm going to have to pack away the gear for half a year!!! It's weird to think of winter in that sense, no fishing for 6 months (Nov - May). What am I going to do? Do anglers get the bass shakes in Florida???

But you should try your "smallie power" on the ICE. I think you need'll one more fix, if your going to be inside all winter...You should try the ICE.

[This message has been edited by WhaTT! (edited 10-29-2003).]

WE hit the Rum River again last night and boated 7 smallies with only one below 17". What an absolutely fun way to end the fishing season!!!! Will be back out there over the weekend sometime to see if I can get some in the 20+" range. Lost at least a coupla' walleyes too - the minnows were ravaged by teeth and it didn't pull like a pike would.

Got a lot of snow in the boat though - was really comin' down by the time we got to the landing....

Daze Off

Daze Off,

Sounds like you had another great afternoon up there on the Rum. Hope you haul in that 20+ incher, remember to snap a shot for us and have it posted smile.gif.

I was hoping to get out one more time this weekend but it may not happen. The weather seems just a little too nasty out this weekend & the water temps have got to be in the upper 30's by now. Besides, I haven't had a full weekend at home for a while. However next weekend looks at this point to be a good weekend. Of course that will probably change 10 times before then, but i'm just trying to be optimistic! I've got the bass shakes pretty bad LOL.

This will be the last weekend for the Rum for me -- guys at the bait shop tell me that Monday they are lowering the water levels for the winter. I will be putting the boat away for the season.

No pigs on Weds. night but lots of 16-18" fish. Couple of walleyes got off before I could get in them the skillet....

Drove through downtown Anoka an hour ago and saw two boats just above the dam.

Daze Off

Well for the first weekend in...well a LONG time, I didn't get out! I was really trying to get out yesterday afternoon with the sun peaking through, but didn't happen frown.gif. Oh well, I started adding to the brownie points stash for next season!

DazeOff, did you get out this weekend? How was it? It didn't really seem as cold of a weekend as last weekend. Hope you landed a few big ones to end out the season.

Big Mike -

Was out on the Rum from 11:00 - 4:30 on Saturday and each of us only boated two small fish - all smallies. The bite was definately OFF as we marked a huge pile of fish and worked them over pretty good without a hit. Gave my fishing partner all the minnows that were left or I probably would have gone Sunday too but the slow bite on Saturday crippled my motivation.

I am officially done for the year - at least my boat is - if I get the right invite I may consider jumping in my partner's boat another time or two....

Bring on the fishing tackle catalogs.....

Daze Off

Yeah, I am probably done for the year too frown.gif. I've always got my fingers crossed for a 40+ degree day, but even then, I doubt that will really help turn the bite on at all.

It's the catalogues and magazines for me until May for me too. I'm already putting together my Christmas/wish list for this winter. Time to stock up. I have to gather all the knowledge and techniques I can in order to win the Smallie Magnet Tourney cool.gif This winter will give me a good chunk of time to work on some details for that friendly get together smile.gif.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been out on the rivers lately? I'm assuming that the water temps took a good dip this last week, but this week looks to be the last warm up I've been waiting for. I was so close to getting out yesterday, but I've been fighting off a bad cold frown.gif So depending on this week and if the weather forecast holds for this coming weekend, I am planning on trying just one last time to get out. I don't know where just yet... any suggestions???

I've got the bass shakes real bad smile.gif LOL

Well with the nice weather expected through at least Saturday, I am about 99% sure that I'll be heading out to look for some shore action on the upper stretch of the 'sippi around monti or elk river. I'm hearing that the water stays warm for most of the winter because of the power plants... that means if there is another warm January I may be testing the smallie magnet grin.gif.

Ebass, haven't heard from you in a while so I thought I would check on ya. How is the medicine thread doing? I figure the 'sippi thread may be dead until ice out... But then it will be poised for a big come back wink.gif

I may be silenced to once the ice hits. No ice for me. I've got to save the cash for the boat grin.gif

BigMike,
I'm still here. My boat is on blocks and covered with a tarp ready for that winter chill. I put my vex back in the pro pack( portable) and got my ice house down. I have to get my tackle in order and reline my ice rods, then sew on a chain to my skirting to limit the wind coming in. Just need some ice and oh yeah an auger. Maybe just maybe we can get you out in the winter. I only have a one man shack but when it's thick enough to drive we can do tip ups for pike and sit in the truck/car, nevermind you and pike don't get along.

I think BigMike took a sick day today

Or he wants to....

[This message has been edited by WhaTT! (edited 11-11-2003).]

I wish it was a sick day for me today!!! LOL. I would go swimming in this weather, ok maybe not quite swimming, but a little sun after the cold always means a little more action on the water...

I'm already planning on going this weekend, maybe Sat. & Sun. if the wifey gives the ok. I've got the winter blues already. I'm going to Florida in two weeks. I might have to convince the lady to let me get a guide for the day smile.gif. Test out the "magnet" on lunker florida bucketmouths.

Florida - you should be getting an ice house! J/K that would be cool to fish in FL. What's that real famous lake? Toe-Ho but I think I really jacked the spelling. Then there's Okachobee and again I can't spell. Then you've got the FL Keys and Tarpon!