• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies on Ole' Miss.

Went downtown Minneapolis for a few hours last night and caught a handful of smallies. Was happily surprised, landed a 2.5lb smallie. Lots of smallies from 8-13'' range. Caught all of them on spinnerbaits 3/8oz and under. Caught them on golden shiner and crawdad colors. At least something is still producing.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• EBass

• HawgTide

• Mark Christianson

I was on the sippi last night to with Bill-E-Bazz and we caught some smallies. Biggest was just under 17". I caught some wee babies and others in the 12-15" range.

I found some shallow spots to or they found me. My prop looks ok though.

Tubes, cranks, and jerk baits were our ticket. Strange thing is there was a lot of people out. I even saw a like 18' Ranger try going upstream.. Dude, it's like 10" of water up here.

Ebass,

What kind of cranks were you using? Where on the 'sippi were you fishing?

Congrats on the 17 incher!

BigMike

Big Mike,

I lauched from North Sippi Regional park.

Just past the island on the left and power plant on the right it get's VERY shallow. Like a foot or less in some places. But after that it's back to 5' in the main channel. Watch out for the sunken rock piles. I hit one. It was like 5 to 6 feet then BAM. I was going slow-whew!

Oh I used storm wiggle warts in the crayfish pattern.

A few yrs back we used to get 18.5" smallies in that section. Few and far between though.

You said down town? Where do you launch? Pool 2 then go up?

Ebass,

I don't have a boat...but hopefully that will be changing soon :-). So I have to settle for whatever shoreline that I can legally access. So I've been doing well off of the north end of Nicollet Island catching smallies in about 1-3 feet of water. I've made long casts to try and get out into the deeper water, but most of my hits have been within 5-15 feet of the shoreline in about 1 foot of water. Every couple weeks when I get down there, the river seems to be another foot lower. I know what you mean about shallow! The river is SO low right now! Sorry to hear about the bumpy ride, at least your prop is still intact.

I've also fishing just below the stonearch bridge/spillway with a little bit of success and I have thought of going up to the launch just north of Nicollet island to see if I can tap into any smallies up there around the launch.

BigMike

Oh bummer, you're missing out with out a boat. But with the water being so low you can probably wade around. What's the biggest smallie you've caught down there? And you're right they are way shallow chasing minnows. That's fun to watch.

The biggest I've caught so far have been around the 16-17'' mark. But like you said, those are very few and far between. Lots of smallies in the 12-14'' and even less range. I once caught a 2'' smallie on a Rapala DT... it was smaller than the lure. I was surprised it could even gets it's mouth around the hook!

About the boat situation. I just finished up college and good old school loans are kicking in. But it's at the top of my list for my savings! Believe me, I can't wait! However I'm doing alright at my top shoreline spots so I guess I can't complain, as long as the fish keep on hitting.

Yeah good old school loans is right. I'll be paying for those for what seems like forever. But whenever I get a free dollar, it goes to the savings for that boat. I don't need anything special. Hopefully by next summer I'll be ready to buy. Never know though. Just got married too and I have to convince the wife that it would be a "good investment" LOL. I know, you're probably laughing already. But one can always dream right :-). It'll happen sooner or later, but until then I'm keeping the shorelines busy.

Tell her that it will keep you outa trouble, so you have to get one! Or just keep talking about it and she'll get sick of you whining - lol

I'll be pounding the shoreline, back waters, islands, rock reefs, tribs, barges, fallen trees, bridge supports and whatever else will hold a smallie or three.

If I ever have room you're welcome, however I have some shore bound friends that are always willing to come. Practically beg sometimes.

My lady knows just how much I want a boat and that is why I'm so optimistic about getting one within the next year. Always keeping the fingers crossed.

As you'll be hitting the "shoreline, back waters, islands, rock reefs, tribs, barges, fallen trees, bridge supports...". I'll be hitting the rocky shoreline, rocky back waters of nicollet island, rock piles in the shallows, and every inch of the 100feet of rocky shoreline the north end of Nicollet Island has to offer :-) LOL! Did I say rocky?

And if you ever get a free seat in the boat, I can't turn down a trip on the water with a FM posting legend. At your current rate, you'll break the 1000 post mark by week's end. I've got a lot of catching up to do LOL. If you want, my email is [email protected]. Let me know when a seat is available, I won't beg, I promise. Sounds like you have enough of that already. LOL.

LOL - Posting legend. Maybe someday I will be a fishing legend wink.gifI only chime in when I think I can contribute or need advice. (OK, I get bored at work at times.)

I'm no pro by any means, but I have lived here my whole 29 yrs and have fished since I was about 8. There's not too many times I go out and get skunked. Sometimes, but not often at all. A sunfish counts for something right? smile.gif

I'm going to hit the same area tonight and hope my trolling motor works. (issues lately) I'll report tomorrow. Someday I should be able to get you in. It's just a two person boat while casting and three people for catin'.

You hitting the smallies tonight?

Ebass is just being modest. He helped me become a better bassfisherman. Now I have to flip a coin between bass or cats. Like bass lots, but still love cating.

I know what you mean about being bored at work! LOL :-).

Unfortunately I don't know if I'll be out tonight. I have some dinner plans and if I have a hour or two before sundown I'm going to try and make it out to Nico' Island. I'll have to see. With it getting dark earlier and earlier it's getting tougher to get a couple of hours in after work. I work in Woodbury but live downtown Mpls...makes for a short evening of fishing.

Be sure to report back, I'm sure I'll be out again sometime this week, hopefully before the coldfront that's suppose to come through at week's end. Those river smallies are the best! Big fighters!

Ah the good ol school loans. I only have 5 more years left to pay, then go back to school for something I really want to do. ^sigh^

I got a little 14' Lowe Jon boat. It's wide though so it's more stable that the 36" wide models. It has like a 68" beam or something. In any case it was cheaper than new. But with a cheap boat comes repairs. I've been pretty lucky lately, but I want a jet! So I to will be saving. C/mon tax returns!!

Hey buddy, you're supposed to get the boat BEFORE you get married! The deal my wife and I had was: you get a ring,I get a boat. Nice trade eh? (ps-don't tell her I said anything, I'll get in trouble...)

How ya doing Mr. Special? I met him this year and we're now fishing buds (well when our schedules match) I also met Moby1 and Tonka Boy is a guy who I went to school with. Small world.

Any ways back to last nights report. Figures, as soon as I hype myself up I go out and get the big skunk. Well the wind F-ing sucked. It blew us upstream and in circles. WE hit about 8 rocks/boulders and even got stuck on a couple - LOL

Bill did catch a little pike right off the bat and lost a smallie by the power plant.

Pretty much wasted a lot of time trying to get out of the wind (cha right) and getting stuck on boulders.

You're right, there's just not enough time after work anymore. 8:10 and it's pretty dark out.

Looks like I will be a weekend warrior once again.

EBass signing off

Yeah I know I got the shaft on the, "you get a ring, I get a boat" deal. But now I can use it as leverage to get one…yeah right like that will happen LOL. I just keep telling myself that. And I thought that was pretty funny how you said “just don’t tell the wife” LOL. I think most of us are in that same boat (unless of course you don’t own a boat, and then we are back where this conversation started…).

Ebass, sorry about the rough night on the water. I wasn’t able to get out last night either and it’s shaping up like the cold-front will be moving in sometime tomorrow :-(. Slow fishing until the fall bite turns on I guess. Won’t stop me from trying though.

The only tough thing about living in MN is that the fall evenings are WAY to short! I don't mind it getting dark because I love the night-bite when I can get out, but I’m for sure not staying down on the north end of Nicolet Island after dusk. Some rough people come out at dusk down there. I might be forced to search out some of evening/night spots.

LOL Bigmike, you and I are on the same page!
I also wanted to throw in my 2c re river smallies. I know its not the 'sippi, but last weekend I was on the upper Croix and they were just HAMMERING topwaters. The little torpedo thingies with the propeller seemed to be the ticket. I don't know if the color mattered, but a light green with stripes was the one I was using. Got 3 in the 16-17 range, what a fight! The active fish seemed to be in riffles of 2-4 feet of water with lots of rocks. By the shore, in the middle, didn't seem to matter. I'm not familiar with your stretch of river, but maybe you'll find similar habitat nearby. Of course the upcoming front will probably throw it all to hell anyhoo =)

Beararm,

Yep, I think we are definitely in the same situation :-).

About the upper croix: I'm always looking for new water to get out on. What section of the upper-Croix were you fishing? Fishing from a boat I'm presuming...? I've been hearing really good reports, very similar to yours, about the smallie action on the Croix. River smallies are the best fighters, you always feel like you've got a lunker only to pull it in and find a 5 incher on - LOL. A bass is a bass so I never complain!

My personal best day for smallies was on the upper croix a few years ago. I caught 25!!! Biggest was 19.5 and most were around 17-15". My friend got a bonus 36" muskie. I'm sure it's ankle deep right now.

yeah it's got to be really low right now! I went canoeing down from Taylors Falls a couple years ago in a normal rain season and it was shallow then in a bunch of spots!

Ebass, where would be a good spot to pursue smallies on the upper croix? I know there isn't much public shoreline to fish that is easily accessable, but maybe I can borrow a canoe for a weekend and get up there for some smallie action. I bet with the low river levels this summer, deeper holes on the river are probably loaded with fish.

Honestly all over.

Hmm, I was up at Grantsburg, but it was in July and the water was high and a few years ago. I can't remember, but I think it was the snake river and couldn't get up - too shallow and this is when it was high.

I never floated so I don't know how long it would take you.

A deeper stretch is from above Taylor Falls to Nevers Dam Site (it's a boat launch)going upstream. But this is a popular area and gets pressured.

Maybe launch from Sunrise river and float to Nevers Dam Site. Do it soon as the water will be to chilly to tip a canoe over.

You may want to ask on the St Croix forum. They will have better info than I do. However, upper sippi and upper croix should be going off about now.

When fall gets closer they tend to move down stream to the deeper pools. Not all though. And boy are they hungry!

Dang it. I'm all pumped to go fishing now. OK I will. Going to Medicine tonight.

Ebass,

Again, thanks for all the info. I really have to get a boat and fast! So much water and so many choices that I'm missing out on. Just talking about the fall smallie action is getting me pumped. I'm going to be out every free minute my wife allows me (Beararm that was for you). I've been getting turned on to the river-smallie connection lately, but I might just have to get out to some of my other shore spots to see how they are doing.

Ebass, be sure to report on your night on medicine. Hopefully it won't have the same fate as last night. You've got a lot of catchin' up to do. In fact tonight and tomorrow night might just be the best nights of the week with the cooler air coming in tomorrow and tomorrow night. Good luck!

We launched out of wild river state park. Its about 10mi north of taylor's falls. And yes, is IS shallow. I have more than a few new nicks on the prop from that trip, but I kept it really slow, so no major damage done. Others were not so lucky. One jackhole was watersking up the river! I figured the guy must really know the sandbars to go so fast and then, KABOOM! There goes the lower unit. We could hear the crunch from 400yds. Serves him right I figure.
Also, the state park rents canoes by the half day there, so there should be no problem with that. The current is light enough to go upstream in a canoe.
Bonus info: a really deep hole about 1/4 mile up from launch (28 ft) caught a small walleye there and saw a four foot sturgeon give some fellow a run for his money =)

Beararm,

I am figuring that the launch/park is on the MN side of the river? I love the canoe stuff when it comes to the taylors falls area. Great landscape and from the sounds of it, great fishing! I am actually trying to go camping up there in a couple weeks, I'm thinking now that a canoe trip definitely going to make it's way into the plans.

Ebass - how was medicine last night? No skunks around, j/k. Have you heard any more local reports on the smallie action on the 'sippi? I really want to get out this weekend and see if I can round up a few of those smallies.

Does anyone have any other great river/smallie spots to add?

I went to Lake Sara last night instead of Medicine. On Med you need to be off by Sunset and that's too early.

I got two small bass, one small pike, and one dandy crappie. My buddy got a nice 17" bass and a small bass. Wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Even started to rain and was pretty dark around 8 so we left.

Big Mike,

Good ol Pool 2 has some nice smallies. Upper sippi (above coon rapids dam even) has real nice smallies. Have you checked out the upper sippi forum. Guys have been doing well wading around.

Ebass, at least you landed a few, some are better than none. You've also peaked my interests about the upper 'sippi, however what kind of shoreline is easily accessable. I don't really mind a mile hike if good holes are to be found. I've never been up that far north on the 'sippi so I may need a few more details before I just start driving up that way. I'm not really looking to drive much farther than Coon Rapids either when I can get descent smallie action downtown mpls & pool 2.

Big Mike,

The shore gathering thread may be of interest to you. (Aquaman01's thread) The one that's going to be in Anoka where the Rum dumps into the Sippi. It's this Sat. With the water being all low you'll be able to wade around and hunt for dem smallies. Nice ones to! It's a park so there's plenty of shore to cover and if you wade out even more.

I won't be going to that one, but I will be going to the Carver Cat gathering on the same day but later in the afternoon. I love my kitties to and have been neglecting them.

Oh, actually below Coon Rapids dam can be good to. Lots and lots of boulders to work. but I haven't been there since last year.

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 09-11-2003).]

I am seriously considering the FM outting up in Anoka. If anything to just meet some of my fellow FM'ers. If I can't I'll for sure be trying to get down to the 'sippi for some smallies or old faithful: mpls chain - Harriet, Calhoun & Nokomis. It's been a really slow year on all of those lakes and I'm hoping that the cooler weather & rain will start to lead to some more aggressive fishing. I'm so glad that it finally rained! It was starting to look like my childhood years in California where the hills turn brown about midway through the summer! Maybe the river level will start to rise...sounds like a lot of people that are taking their boats out on the rivers are getting real dinged up.