• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies on Ole' Miss.

Hawgtide,
I'd like to take you up on that offer sometime... I've been tossing around the idea lately of getting a jetboat to fish that upper stretch. I'd like to see that Tracker sometime - sounds like a sweet rig... Did you get that at a local dealer? Did you check out the River Pro at all? Looks like the same engine in both boats - the 175 carb. merc.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• EBass

• HawgTide

• Mark Christianson

HawgTide, email me or post your email. We'll hook up another weekend, if not Sunday...

------------------
Catch-N Tackle Pro Staff
T.J.'s Tackle Pro Staff

[email protected]
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
- Henry David Thoreau

I feel like the bad guy...hoggin' up all the extra seats frown.gif.

Hawgtide, I tried to pass my seat for Saturday to Dan via email, but he insisted I hook up with you on Saturday. Dan is an awesome guy and you'll definitely have a good outing with him when you two are able to hook up. Try some of those ring'n grubs!

I was thinking that when I get a boat, all of us who have posted on this topic should put together a little tournament of our own... a little friendly smallie/FM gathering to see who really is the smallie magnet among us grin.gif. I have a good inclination that it would NOT be me as some of you seem to believe, but I don't mind the title for now wink.gif

Dan, you got mail.

Mike, that sounds like fun. We'll have to set that up. Looking forward to fishing this weekend. Hope the weather holds out.

Hawgtide, I got your email, I'll reply sometime today... Real busy at work! Someone's got to pay the bills...especially if I am ever going to get my boat smile.gif.

Ebass has been a little quiet lately. I haven't heard from him in a while. Is the motor out of commission for a while? I think he is converting to the medicine topic...j/k. LOL. River smallies are in his blood!

In a couple days smallies will rule the Metro Forum! I love it!

I don't know if I'll have a boat by May, but I think if I ask around and I could see if I could borrow a friend's or something for the day if I know in advance. If not, maybe we could do teams...

I think it would be a cool event to have and see who really is the "smallie magnet" of the bunch. I don't think there would be a problem with holding it in some deeper waters to even out the odds wink.gif...you never know in May though - waters may be deeper after the winter meltoff & spring rains.

If you can believe it or not I was actually working this morning. grin.gif Sorry for the non-posts - I'll get right on that.

My Merc is crap so I think she may be done for the winter. We'll see though cause I can putz around and it's ok. I hate that Mercury.

Any ways, I'd be up for a smallie tourney. I don't have a live well so it would be an honors tourney, kinda like the one that almost happened on Medicine. Basically just another excuse to go fishing. And you're right it would need to be in a deeper section for us "prop" guys.

I'm sure Biglakeba$$ would be into this to. I think he's on Rainy or maybe he's back now and just watching.

Let's have it in Becker! wink.gif

Actually in the spring time the water is high and the fishing is phenomenal. North of Coon Rapids has the best of both worlds, deep and shallow.

I say we do two to a boat and everyone have a digital camera. There are restrictions on Bass north of Dayton and that is the time of year we should especially release all the bass so they can protect their beds.

Digital camera would work - picture of fish with ruler... Becker would be good if you want to wait for bass season. That is the only advantage to going to the border waters - no closed season...

Ebass... welcome back to "the show" smile.gif. I think Biglakeba$$ just likes to watch. I'm still a little disappointed with his special guest spot light which he stood us up on back somewhere around page 5 of this topic. Just teasing Biglakeba$$. Biglake, if you are back & watching the show - do you have 2 cents on a tourney idea.

I think we could do a honors tourney. I don't know who has livewells and who doesn't. Listen to me, I don't even have a boat, let alone a live well. LOL!!! Maybe round up people who have digital cams & a few scales. That could work real well if you did teams of 2 in a boat (one could hold the scale, other could snap the shot).

I was thinking CR area... Hopefully I'll have a jet boat by that time, so I could do either... Actually Jon N. guides the St.Cloud stretch in a 18' Ranger... That must open up a bit north of Monti.. I guess if you know the river well enough your okay.. grin.gif

St. Croix would be good early in the year before the crowds too... Fishing in teams is always funner, 2 per boat...

Dang, now I feel all cheap. I don't have a digi camera either. Even BigMike has that - LOL, but he's a smallie magnet so.. it comes with the territory grin.gif

Wabasha would be a treat, and we could toss in largies as the backwaters are unreal and the wing dams and rip rap on the main channel would house the smallies. Croix would be cool to.

I don't mind going slow over a rocky shallow stretch as long as I can make it. Sure does suck though. So Becker would be cool - never been there.

Do you think it would be better if we fished a stretch that no one knows? Rule out that back yard advantage. Granted we have 8 months to go. I can't believe we're thinking spring and haven't even saw snow yet.

Does anyone know where to find ice smallies? I saw some pics @ Vado's bait where the dude had some mongo ice smallies on Millelacs. He works at the bait shop. I guess I answered my own Q. Is it time to go home yet?

Dan with his last post put us over Medicine... I don't know why I think it really matters, but it is fun to know that smallies are #1 in the metro forum.

Sounds like there is a lot of interest in the "smallie magnet" tourney. Ok, so I think what we've got so far is teams of 2, with digital camera & rulers, now if we can just decide on a place and start thinking about times too. Too early we'll have to do border waters because of season, if later we can do MN waters.

Ebass, you crack me up, LOL!!!! grin.gif. You forget you can always ask for a digi-cam for Xmas.

I know what you mean, it hasn't even wrapped up for this season and here we are already talking about springtime smallies! I love it! I'm already getting excited about next season.

I think that Wabasha would be awesome too! A lot of options: Lake Pepin, 'Sippi flats/current/wing dams, backwaters, etc... I had a great time down there with Dan this last weekend. I don't know who gets out down there that much. Dan made it sound like he doesn't even get down there but every once in a great while, so that may be a great option for a site (no ones backyard/stomping grounds). There is definitely a lot of options when it comes to wabasha.

Oh, Medicine is still number one. Medicine hit 300 posts in August and one of the Moderators didn't want that tread to get any bigger. So that Moderator started the new Medicine tread that you see now. But if you think about it, the thread you see now is really a extension of the old thread. So really, the Medicine thread has 492 posts. Try beating that, Boya grin.gif

Hey Ebass, what ever happened to everyone on the Med thread? It's just you, Moby, and I left.

I think I can answer this in two words - Hunting Season.

Actually it's you, Moby and bassen, I haven't been there in a while. Where are those pics you tried to post?

Sounds like we're talking about a mini tour here. Multiple areas. Multiple Tourneys. Can't wait.

FM Smallie tournament... I'm game for that for sure... Next year, who is interested? It would have to be on a deeper stretch of river so that HawgTide wouldn't be the only one able to get around.. Lake City in early May? St. Croix? Coon Rapids area??

Winner to be recieve the Smallie Magnet Trophy.

Tour huh... LOL I don't know about a tour, although I think it would be cool to maybe do a couple different locations - maybe throughout next season! But I would like to get my first "smallie magnet trophy" under my belt before I start talking about multiple stops...LOL! grin.gif

Who has a digital camera? I have one, I know Dan has one...anyone else?

Hey, I am here.
There used to be a tourney on the Miss from Coon Rapids dam up to the Crow River. Last summer it was officially canceled due to Rapid Sports not wanting to run the event. I heard somewhere that Dave Genz was looking at somehow picking it up again for the summer of 2004.
That was always a blast.
Now if there was a smallie magnet tourney, I would be in for that. (Obviously depending on when and where).
I would vote for CR/Anoka/Ramsey area.
I have a digital as well.

Rainy bite was terrible. But, I shouldn't complain. I didn't even hold my fishing rod the last day. I let the wave action of the lake do the jiggin. :B
Fishin was great. Catchin was the poorest I have seen in the 7 years I have gone.
12 guys, and our biggest wasn't even 18 inches.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 10-22-2003).]

I have a digi cam. We'll just have someone with a laptop there to download the photo's and we'll be set.

Back on the subject of fishing now, I went out yesterday evening and the bite was awesome. They were fighting over the plastics. An orange/pumpkinseed plastic double curly tail with frilly stuff on one end (How's that for a name?)was the hot ticket. Found them in some holes north of Otsego. Switched over to black tubes ( I didn't want to use all of the orange ones)and had almost equal success. Still no big ones though there were several in the 2lb range. Maybe I'll just take a day off work so I don't have to wait til the weekend.

Of course Biglakeba$$ would want this in his back yard. But it is closer than Sartel, Croix, or Wabasha. (weekend tourneys?)

Well it sounds like we have an area, now what are the boundries? Like Champlin to Elk River (101 bridge) Once you guys take off I'm going reload my boat, fish on the Rum above the dam, take pics of huge bass, then be back on the sippi before anyone even knew - MoooHaHaaHaaaaaa

Also we need a smallie magent, like a magent that has a smallie on it. Cheap trophy that we could re-use for the winner of the tourney for how many times we can all meet up. Or maybe just use the pic of BigMike with his 19.5" grin.gif

I'll have to get my 19.5'' picture put on a magnet and that will be the trophy! LOL

Hawgtide, sounds like you know where they are at... I can't wait 'til this weekend either. Here comes the smallie magnet!!

How about I just claim the title until our first tourney grin.gif LOL. Yeah right! Me and my 10 inch mpls pocket bass really qualify LOL. I'm excited about this event, it really sounds like there is a lot of us that want to participate! I'm thinking from the looks of it, 3-5 boats of two... not bad for a little smallie magnet tourney.

BigMike,
Looks like the weather is going to turn on us. Are you game regardless? Forecast says high of 49. I would imagine that means 30's around the time we start. As long as its not too windy, it might be OK.

We should make the tourney high stakes, in addition to the trophy, how about a 6-pack for the winner. Or would that be too tempting to cheat? wink.gif

Dan, I replied to your email, but I got a undeliverable notice this morning. I'm resending it now.