• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies on Ole' Miss.

Hawgtide, it should be a good weekend. May even be able to pull out a topwater bite on a cloudy day. Does that sound weird or what: topwater in November? Hey if it works, I'll try it.

Ebass, no catfish for me... I used to go catfishin' with my dad in the aquaducts in CA for channel and blue catfish. It was a lot of fun. We would fish is nasty/baked cut liver. We would let it sit out all day in the hot CA sun and then fish all night and catch a lot of good eating size cats...and occasionally a big striper. But I've been hooked on bassin' since then.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• EBass

• HawgTide

• Mark Christianson

It was a Yellow Cat. Don't know if that was the official species name, but that's what we called them.

The Bass fishing will have to be awfully slow for me to intentionally fish for something else!

BigLake, I'm just a sideshow on this circus!

I never thought this thread would reach 300+ I'm sure they'll shut it down soon and start it up again. We'll be catching up to medicine anytime now grin.gif j/k.

I'm begining to think that BigLake likes to just watch the circus...especially Hawgtide the "smallie tamer". wink.gif. If I'm the "magnet", hawgtide can be the "tamer". We just have to find a name for ebass.

Darn right I like watching this circus.
I don't have much to add, since my guns came out of storage.

I can get a few cheap posts in on this topic to get my numbers up too.

Well I can't give myself a nickname so I hope you gents figure one out. Good luck this weekend BigMike. I was at Galyans last night and they had waders galore. Just walking by them though, price was 199, but they'll go on sale in the spring time..

If we are sticking with the circus theme, I think Ebass would be the "smallie ring-leader". With 1200+ posts, who better to be the ring-leader than Ebass.

BigLake, no problem with padding the numbers. I'm right there with you. I've got to get my posts in while I can. Ice is coming soon. But not until after I get out a couple more times smile.gif

If no boat by spring, waders may be in order. There are some great waters I would love to test out if I had a pair of them. I was checkin' out cabelas catelogue and they have some decent waders for cheaper. But not until I figure out the boat $ situation come spring.

Here's the big 14lb 10oz Bass my uncle Ralph caught...
Uncle_Ralph.jpg

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 11-14-2003).]

Yellow Cat = bullhead? J/K LOL.

This is a circus. I think this thread will be shut down soon. Reached the 300+ mark.

Wow Hawgtide! What a monster bass and catfish. Gotta love them memories!

Thanks BigMike! I like that!

Well I hit up A LOT of the monti stretch on Sunday, must have hiked 3-4 miles up and down. I thought it was going to be my lucky day; first cast 15 inch football, second cast 13 incher... but then I didn't catch anything for another hour frown.gif All in all it was a good outing - good enough to rid myself of the bass shakes for a while. 14 fish, all between 10-13'' except the one 15'' and "the one that got away" mad.gif I had a huge 19-20'' piggy on and had him within about 10 feet of shore and he took a run and did this amazing arial right in front of me to get the heart racing and threw the hook!

I'm sure you all have had that feeling before...you have this great fish, you just when you get to see it gets off. I wanted to snap my pole! I know Daze Off knows what I'm saying with that beauty we just missed a few weeks back up on the rum frown.gif. It would have been better if I hadn't even seen it. I could have just passed it off as a carp or something.

Yesterday the bite was the best from 1 to 2:30pm (8 fish) and I was throwing all sorts of plastics (tubes, grubs, hulas, etc...). I had a few fish off of jigged presentations, but most fish came on t-rig with a very small peg sinker (the fish were pickin' it up as it drifted by the rocks). And you have to find very fast moving and shallow water (8-18inches)! I tried some spots with a slightly slower current and a little deeper and nada!

Yeah, Mike, I KNOW the feeling of losing a real pig --- thanks for reminding me...<g>

Was out on the Rum on Saturday - fishing was fairly slow but managed to pull one 18" to salvage the cold wet day. We got about 6 pike, one small smallie, and a crappie. Isn't that a hat trick or something....trifecta maybe? Hooked a carp but pulled up the jig with only a huge scale on it after a brief battle.

I'm thinking Thursday will be a play hookie day from the office for at least part of the day.

Daze Off

Yeah, Mike, I KNOW the feeling of losing a real pig --- thanks for reminding me...<g>

Was out on the Rum on Saturday - fishing was fairly slow but managed to pull one 18" to salvage the cold wet day. We got about 6 pike, one small smallie, and a crappie. Isn't that a hat trick or something....trifecta maybe? Hooked a carp but pulled up the jig with only a huge scale on it after a brief battle.

I'm thinking Thursday will be a play hookie day from the office for at least part of the day.

Daze Off

EBass, when it's all said and done, life is just a bunch of memories. Make as many good ones as you can.

BigMike, I'm glad you had a good day. Were there any more people out there?

6 more months, I can't wait.

Today thru thursday are suppose to be awesome days: mid 40 to mid 50's for highs and sunny! I would consider playing hooky too, but I'm off all of next week on my vacation to florida cool.gif.

As for people out fishing in Monti this last sunday, I saw a 5 small river boats (4-5) and 3 guys in waders. It's crazy how low that river is in spots. I kept my eye on one wader throughout the day and several times on different sections he waded out almost to the middle and was only up to his knees. I was definitely limited by having to fish the shore, but I still found some nice holes.

Big Mike, you've got me intrigued about the smallie action by Monti. Is it easy to get there,i.e. driving directions. I'm tempted to see if I can get out tomorrow.

Also, dumb question, is this the Rum or Miss. River?...rarely get up that way.

Thanks for any info. The boat is done for the year, but even some small bass would be a hoot tomorrow from shore.

DB

I'm sure he'll respond as soon as he sees this. But it's on da Sippi. Take 94 west to ?? I don't know where he goes, but he's a smallie magnet grin.gif

Just thought I would inform the Big Mike/Ebass Show that I am hittin the Miss tomorrow(hopefully! If my boss gives me the afternoon off).
No shore fishing. In the boat baby!!!!!

I was fishing in and around Montissippi County Park. If you go 94 west to the first monticello exit and take a right (I think it's broadway). And then go all the way through town and on the outer part of town (total is maybe 5+ miles from i-94) you'll see Montissippi County Park on the right. Take that entrance to the end and you can park at the boat launch and then start walking/hiking. There is a lot of water to choose from, if you make a few casts and nothing, keep moving. Just remember, it may look deep, but it's only between 6-24 inches deep if you are casting from shore. If you have waders, bring'em because in many spots you can wade all the way to the middle of the river and only be knee deep.

Sure BigLake...you have to just rub it in. Although, from what I am reading - I think everyone and their brother, sister, grandmas and friend of your brother-in-law's great aunt is going to be out on the water tomorrow. I'm stuck in doors. Got bills to pay and a boat to save for smile.gif.

Hope you have a great outing, be sure to report back to us this time! No skipping out of the circus wink.gif.

Just waiting on approval from the bossman.
Monticello, here I come!!!!!

Oh man.
Don't hate me Big Mike.

Its a go. Monticello bound tomorrow at Noon 30.
I wonder how the Senko will work tomorrow???? Hmmmm.

Save me a spot on the Friday Big Mike/Ebass show, with Hawgtide as Sideshow Bob.

Just got off the Mississippit - put in at Dayton and went about a mile up toward Elk River --- three nice 'eyes from 18 - 21 1/2" this afternoon. Used small boat but coulda got 'em from shore. Jigs and fatheads.

Supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow (TH) so I guess I have to take another afternoon off. It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it.....

Daze Off

Just got off the Mississippit - put in at Dayton and went about a mile up toward Elk River --- three nice 'eyes from 18 - 21 1/2" this afternoon. Used small boat but coulda got 'em from shore. Jigs and fatheads.

Supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow (TH) so I guess I have to take another afternoon off. It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it.....

Daze Off

Daze Off

Daze Off

Looks like dazeoff got a little over zealous LOL.

Man am I jealous, it is going to be a perfect day for smallies, but no I'm stuck at my desk all day. Plus it is a little overcast and I bet that the topwater would be on this morning around monticello. There were a lot of minnows jumping this last weekend.

I'm anxious to hear how everyone did. Sounds like everyone but me (and maybe ebass & hawgtide) are out playin' with the bass. After rubbing it in, Biglake better have a good report this time is all I have to say wink.gif