• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies on Ole' Miss.

Hawgtide, I'm definitely still up for Saturday if you are. A little cold never hurt nobody. The fish are still out there, might just have to work for'em a little harder. I'll just have to be sure to bring my gloves this time. Last weekend I forgot to bring the gloves and for the first 30minutes I could barely feel my hands, let alone my line which equaled lots of backlashes frown.gif. But Dan hooked me up with his and I was good to go (thanks dan). I'll be sure to bring some this weekend. It's going to be a cold one up there, but like you said, hopefully the wind won't get us!

I'm feeling good about this tourney thing! How is it possible to be excited for next season before this season is even over... weird. I think I have bass'o mania. Is that a known disease?? confused.gif

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• EBass

• HawgTide

• Mark Christianson

BigMike, I got that disease, just ask the wife. She thinks I've lost it.

We're definitely going to give it a shot on Saturday, cold or not. We just might not stay as long. frown.gif

Bass o mania? that reminds me of an old episode of Saturday night live where they had the Bass O Matic. Those poor fish. I think Akroid drank some, but was laughing the whole time. It's like an 80's episode.

Maybe it's Bassocitis. LOL.

Never saw that episode, but I'm sure it was funny. SNL is just not the same as it used to be.

Hawgtide, I'm up for whatever, whenever! You're the one with the boat, so just let me know smile.gif Does it cost to park at the launch we are going to? I got the directions...7:30am right? I heard it may rain sometime on Friday morning, that may be good if there is any run-offs feeding into deeper holes.

River can't get much lower than it is up near Monticello!

Bass Shakes!!! That's what I have and what I'm going to have for 6 months because I don't like ice!

Gotta have at least a few more weeks!

Bring on the low water...we've got Hawgtide's jet boat grin.gif. I'm wondering how much lower it is...if at all. This sure was a drought year! Low river levels everywhere.

The bass shakes are only a symptom of the disease known as "B.A.S.S." = Bass Angler Smallie Syndrome. I did some research and if left untreated, it can lead to severe accute bass shakes, S.M.S. (Smallie Magnet Syndrome), and in the worst cases, pre-mature hook-sets. LOL grin.gif.

I've got too much time to think about fishing on my hands.

cool.gif Do any of you ever find yourself refreshing your internet browser every couple of minutes to see if there is a new post on your favorite topics? I'm addicted. Is there any addiction programs for us? Maybe like FM anonymous? LOL.

LOL! This has turned into a humor thread.

I literally get so pumped up the night before a fishing trip that I can't sleep. Bass Shakes, Pre-Mature Hook Setting while sleeping, etc.

I'm going to ride down the the river on Friday to make sure it's still there. If it gets any lower, there won't be a river. wink.gif

Mike where are you driving from?

BigMike, no it doesn't cost. Let's make it 8am, just to get a couple of more degrees and maybe a little sunshine.

Good luck you two. Biglakeba$$ informed me that they dropped the river. (FYI)

I believe that I'm winterizing my boat this weekend.

BRING ON THE ICE!

BigMike & Hawgtide, you guys have to fish in the winter. Whatelse are you going to do besides have the bass shakes? Hey maybe that's what you have BigMike grin.gif Bass Shakes!

I live in Downtown Mpls., so I'll be coming up from there. I figure about a hour - a hour and fifteen min. drive...??? Is that about right?

Where are you guys launching from? Dayton where the Crow dumps in? The Crow has to be a trickle by now.

BigMike,
I work downtown and it only takes me 45 minutes to get to work, so that more than enough time. I would say leave your house around 7am and you won't have any problem getting there by 8am.

EBass,
I don't want a swarm of BigMike fans waiting for him at the landing so I better not post. But, it's the same place I talked to you about last week.

When they do the draw down at the Coon Rapids dam, they "claim" it only affects actual water levels just west of the Anoka/Champlin bridge. Monti will not be touched at all by the draw down.

HawgTide,
I got your email.. I need to change services for my FM email account... I've had a lot of problems not receiving emails on that account.

I love this topic/forum - you guys crack me up! A fan following huh... Remember, I'm a smallie magnet, not a people magnet!

Let me know what you find and if it's down to a trickle we'll figure out plans from there. I know we've had a dry year, but there has got to be somewhere with flowing water! I'm just hoping that this dry year doesn't affect the smallie populations this winter.

Haven't heard much from Dan lately... you still out there dan? Any outings planned for the weekend?

Dan, great minds think alike! I was just wondering where you were...and by the time I typed my last post, you had already posted!

Keep up the posts, Smallies for Life! I don't care if they've already had a 300+ post, at our rate, we'll have no problem catching up to them again.

Took the day off yesterday, wanted to get out fishing while the weather was still nice... Fished 1/2 day and went bowhunting in the afternoon. Went out to the Croix in the a.m... Fishing was pretty slow and bass were not big, but it was a perfect day. Did pick up some nice crappies on Ring'n grubs though - 3/8 oz. jig and chartreuse Ring'n Grub - they must really be feeding to hit that size bait.

Dan, no 23 inchers huh? wink.gif LOL! That's cool that you took the day off. There's not going to be many more days where we can get out on the open water. For those of us (like myself and hawgtide) that don't like the hard water, you may start to see the early signs of B.A.S.S. grin.gif.

It may be colder tomorrow, but leave it to the smallie magnet to get those fish going smile.gif

Dan, I'll probably take next Tuesday off, although I don't think the weather will cooperate. If you are off or want to take off to fish a little, let me know.

Wow, does everyone sign off after 9am. LOL. I'm off to gander to pick up some last minute stuff and then I'll see you hawgtide bright and early. I'm hoping for a good report tonight on the water levels. Give me a call or drop and email if you need to get ahold of me before tomorrow morning.

I'll see you all on Monday morning with the weekend findings cool.gif

Checked out the river this evening. It looked a little lower than last week, but we haven't had any rain, so that may not be because of the Dam opening. That ain't enough to stop anyone with the Bass Shakes. We're going to give the smallie magnet a test tomorrow AM. wink.gif

The Smallie Magnet and I went out yesterday for a couple of frigid hours. Thankfully the fish were cooperating. We boated close to 50 smallies, but the biggest was only 17.5". They were bunched up and hitting tubes and grubs.

BigMike, it was a pleasure meeting you. We'll have to meet up again in the spring. I think with this outing, I'll pack it up for the year. I don't like this weather!!! frown.gif

Until next year...Bass Shakes!

50 smallies! WOW that sounds like a blast. Yup I can't fish from a boat when it's this cold either.

Well boys... the smallie magnet strikes again! LOL.

Yup, you read right, 50 smallies on Saturday! A couple decent fish and a lot of good 10-13'' fighters in that strong current! I was definitely not complaining with all the action we were having! Hawgtide knew the holes real well and was a great host! Thanks again for taking me out! Man was it cold though! I also got to check out the jet boat, pretty sweet! We were cruisin' through really shallow waters to get to some of those untouched holes!

And then yesterday afternoon I took up DazeOff on his last minute Rum River offer and hit up the rum. Even colder, but awesome! Not nearly the same kind of numbers, but I had 4 bass in 4 hours. DazeOff had a handful too. Ebass, I almost had that 21'' before you! Two of my bass were in the 13-14 inch range and one that went 16.5'', but the highlight of the afternoon was a 20.5'' cool.gif!!! I'll be posting the pic for those unbelievers out there! Also, I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes; DazeOff had a monster that would have EASILY been 22'' that got off right at boat side! We were both ready to jump in after it! They are all still in there waiting and calling for you Ebass...

See you are a smallie magnet. Shoot me an email when you get a chance please. Congrats on the big fish. You tied my personal best. Too bad you did get many bigguns on da sippi. Any one know the water temps?

DazeOff,

Thank you as well for the great outing yesterday afternoon! Nothing like a bunch of monster smallies to get your blood pumpin' on a cold day like yesterday. I really enjoyed our conversation and time out yesterday. I look forward to get out again sometime.

I know the end of the season is quickly approaching with all this cold weather lined up for the week. Thank you to all of you who offered up a seat in your boats: Ebass, Dan Wood, Hawgtide & Dazeoff! This has been the best month of smallie fishing that I've ever had and all of you played an important part in making that happen! Thank you and I look forward to any future outings... especially for that smallie magnet tourney! smile.gif

If you caught 20-30 smallies in a few hours would you be complaining? It didn't really matter that we didn't land a bunch of big ones, they were all awesome fighters! And we did have a couple of nicer fish in the couple pound range, but it was almost none-stop action all morning!

The water temps were warmer on the 'sippi where we were. The temps on the rum was chilly and only in the mid 40's.