• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey - I am getting a hand auger before this weekend and some other ice fishing stuff and going to try out some ice fishing. I never have iced fished except for a couple times way back in the day(Just open water fish) and was wondering about how deep the ice is on lakes around ely and specifiacally burntside. Just want to see how dead my arms are going to be after drilling a couple holes. Thanks,

Blake

You will definitly be able do drill through the ice, but it wont be easy. Im not sure how much ice is on burntside but i would estimate 16'+ which means you will be finishing your drill from your knees. what i typically do with my hand auger with this much ice is drill my first hole, then jig for about 20 minutes while i get my strength back, then drill a hole for my tip. oh yeah, and make sure you have a good blade on the auger, if you bought a cheaper one it might be worth buying a new higher quality blade (about $10) to help you out.

grousehunter, you're looking at about 20 inches of ice on Bside now.

Not that hard to do with a hand auger if the blades are sharp. I can cut through that in about 20-30 seconds with my 8-inch Strikemaster lazer hand auger, and there are lots of folks who go faster than I do. Well, the second hole goes slower than the first one. grin.gif

But ian is definitely right in that you don't want to have to cut lots of holes unless you're trying to get into shape. grin.gifgrin.gif

I left my heavy power auger at home this season until the ice got about 14 inches thick.

sounds good...I just got the strikemaster lazer auger today so it sounds like it will work pretty good. Its new so the blades should be plenty sharp(I hope). 20-30 second isnt bad at all...was thinking it would take a lot longer then that for 20 inches. Only fish i have ever caught through the ice was a crappie so we will see if i can change that and catch one of those hard to catch laketrout. setting my standards high right from the start, lol. Just got a lowarnce ifinder explorer plus for pretty cheap with lakemaster chip so now i need to figure out how in the [PoorWordUsage] to get the chip to work in it so i can find some structure. Later

Blake

Blake, that's an excellent hand auger and basically the only limiting factors are how fast you can turn it while keeping some downward pressure on it.

Any little nick you get in the blades will ruin its cutting ability though, so make sure you're very careful about keeping the plastic blade cover on.

I'd also recommend not trying to sharpen them, or even touch them up, yourself. I generally buy a new set of blades every other year, not brand new ones, but used ones with a new factory edge put on them. Vermilion Fuel and Food in Tower offers the blade exchange program. Probably only $15 for your set of blades.

You might also check Lucky 7 in Ely to see if they do the blade exchange. No one else in town does, and they're the last one I haven't checked with about it.

sounds good, Do you know of anywhere besides red rock that sells fish houses up here? I'm thinking of just going with the pak shack and im pretty sure they have that since it on their online site, but was also considering the frabil recon one man....Any place up here have a good variety/ any deals going on? Would just go to gander since they are having an awsome sale, but dont feel like making the trip to duluth and back.

Nope, Red Rock is basically your best option, unless they have some at Vermilion Fuel and Food in Tower. VF&F has vastly expanded their tackle line in the last couple years, and I know they stock power augers so probably have shelters, though I haven't checked. Babe's Bait and Tackle here in Ely rents one or two portables, however, so you might look up Babe's in the phone book and give them a call, or Vermilion F&F is (218) 753-2181.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.