• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

united jigsticker

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• moby1

• EBass

• local boy

Hey MedMan, or anyone that knows. It that launch on West Medicine Lake Drive open to the public or just lake shore owners? We drive off of there in the winter, and I saw it open a few weeks back. Just curious.

Also Medman, were the bass and eyes mixed together? That would be cool to catch that mixed bag.

EBass, the launch at the West park is open so people on the lake can take there boats out. Otherwise they would have to take their boats out at French park, the problem with that is that they would have to pay. During the hard water season the launch is open to all. As to the video, I saw Bass, Walleye, suckers, and sunfish all roaming around together. The only fish that was roaming around by itself were northerns.

Oh, interesting find. I was watching the video for about the 12th time and I noticed something in the far left corner move. So I slowed down the video and the turned out to be a Goldeye. I've seen Goldeye's before out on the river, so i know what they look like. The DNR also caught one on Medicine in the 2000 survey. I'm just amazed that everytime I watch that video I find something that I didn't see before.

Hey med man. Doing some cleaning yesterday and came across my stash of the fm bumberstickers. I'll try and get u one this week. What is a goldeye? Speaking of rivers, I tested the motor out on saturday (on the mn river) and it performed great. Going to try and get on med this week.

A smallie on Med?!?!?! grin.gif There is a lot of sand and rock. I wonder how they would do. C,mon DNR stock dem smallies

bassin, where did you catch that smallie? I too would love to see smallies in Medicine. But it would be interesting to see how they act with the largemouth on the islands. Most of the largemouth on those islands are 5 pounds and bigger. I don't think they think kindly of strangers.

UGH!!!! I'm posting pictures of some of the fish I caught. But for some reason the picture appears for about a second then they vanish. But I found that you can copy and paste the pics and you can view them that way. But it's still annoying. GRRRRRR

Cool Moby, We put away the boat for the year this weekend. So any fishin' I'll be doing is from shore. Ebass, Goldeye's are the same as Mooneye's except that Goldeye's have gold eyes. http://www.gen.umn.edu/research/fish/fishes/goldeye.html This will tell you everything about them. I'm thinking the Goldeye came from the Mississippi. I've heard about the DNR catching weird things in Medicine. I've heard them catching Smallmouth, Bigmouth Buffalo, American Eel, and numerous fish that you usually don't see in a lake. I've also seen Sauger in Bassett Creek.

I got the smallie on some of the rocks. Caught it on a 3/4oz jig with a zoom super chunk trailer. Kind of a big bait for that little guy. He was also in with a bunch of largemouths. I caught about 5 or 6 largemouths on six casts, then got the smallie.

Nice pics again. Those are a lot of eyes lying dead there in Basset. Too bad they never made it back in med, if that's where they came from.

Nice bass as well that you caught. What's the biggest bass you've seen or caught outa there? I did catch one bass over 21" and a 19.5" and some 18"s, 17"s....all this year. I was impressed.

Mid June was crazy out there! The big females were stacked in thick clumps of millfoil right after the spawn. A lot of 19-21.5" bass. I had one day where I had 2 fish over 5lbs, 2 just under, like 4lb 13oz and one about 4 1/2 on 2 spots. With a bunch of 3-31/2 lb fish mixed in. I had fished the lake before in late summer and did really well, but I was very impressed with the fish I saw in there this year. There was about a week or two where it was like this. I did get one that was 6-3 last october. The only fish I caught that day.

bassin- and it was worth it for that fish wasnt it? I didnt get any that big this year but alot around 15-18

Big Lake Bass- havent heard from you in a while. I posted a mont or so ago looking for your email. Drop me a line if u get a chance at
[email protected]

The biggest bass I've ever caught was 22 inches long, and fat. Don't know how much it weighed but more than 6 pounds I can tell you that much. I caught is 2 years ago in mid july. My dad and I caught 36 bass in 3 hours that day. We were drifting the island infront of Harty's North. We lost at least 12 more bass. My dad had a bass on that had to have been a state record. He though he snagged a rock. But then it took off, he fought it for a couple minutes before it surfaced. If jumped a good 3 feet out of the water and when it shook it's head the lure poped out. The look on my dads face was priceless. I think his heart dropped to the bottom of the boat. He wasn't to happy after that. One thing I've noticed about the mid lake bass would be that they are fat. You may catch a 16" bass but it may weigh a pound or two more than what it normally weighs.

Ebass, those walleyes did come from Medicine. In the spring the water level is high enough for fish to get over the dam. So the walleyes swim over the dam and spawn in the creek. I've gone down to the creek at night with a flash light and the creek lights up with eyes, it's really neat. After spawning the females will swim back into Medicine to recover, but the males stay in the shallows for some time. So all of these walleyes are males, you can also tell by their reproductive organs.

Well that's cool that they are spawing. What's that other creek off of West Medicine lake rd? Actually there's like two creeks, but one is a bit bigger even goes under NW Blvd. You know the one with that floating dock? Back in the day before that park was there we used to catch big bass in that creek. Ok so this was a little over 10 years ago. (dang I'm OLD)

Here are some pictures of Bassett Creek. Some are of regular water levels and the others are of spring time water levels.

http://www.geocities.com/melor1917/stars.html

Ebass, the creek that runs through West Medicine Lake Park is Plymouth Creek. There are something like 6 creeks that runs into Medicine. Bassett is the only outlet of Medicine. Oh yeah, that day that my dad and I caught all thoughs bass. The smallest bass we caught weighed 3 pounds. I'll find the pictures from that day and post them.

hit med to do some island marking tonight. Dropped a jighead with a banjo minnow. Yeah that's what I said, Banjo Minnow. Remember those from the iinfomercials a few years ago?My mother in law bought me some and they have been collecting dust. For some reason I decided to take them out tonight. Caught a 24" nort and got bitten off two more times. moved to another spot and got bitten off again followed by 5 norts in 20 minutes tops. Most around 20-24" but one that was 34". It was a nice big fat one. Tried to take pictures again holding at arms length so probbly cut off the tail or head. Ebass showed up at 6. We did mostly scouting and no more fish. I hear the weather is going to pretty much go to hell in a handbasket from here out so may have been the last boat run of the year. A good way to end if it has to be.

Da da ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.. (Dualing Banjo song) smile.gif

Sure as soon as I get in Mobys boat the cold front moves in. It's like clock work. I get in a boat then the cold wind picks up.

Da da ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.. smile.gif

MedMan- I sure was. I was in down in the valley passing time waiting to pick up some food for the wife at piazza's. Crap, wish I would've seen you. I have been driving around with that fishingmn.com bumpersticker I said I would get to you all week. I have to run that way to the parents to get the deer stand parts on the way home tonight. Will you be around? I can drop off the sticker.
Hit eagle for about an hour and a half last night. Caught 2 perch that were literally only 1" bigger than my perch colored rubber banjo minnow- break it down ebass:+)

Well boys, I haven't got my Ski yet, but came close. Went over to Waubay lake over by Webster, SD. yesterday.
Got 37 walleye & a 20 pound northern .
I was fishing with a lindy rig, had a bite that I thought was a big walleye, til I got the hawg up. Soon as I saw what it was I loosened the drag, my uncle got a peek and got his lines in and went for the net. I had grabbed my dad's smaller net off the wall in the garage so we didn't have my big one. Soon as he was ready I tightened the drag to lead it in. Got it in the net and just grabbed the rod with one hand, my uncle started lifting it out, and dammit, the net had a hole in the bottom, and before I could get my thumb back on the drag to loosen it, snap, it was gone.
That's the biggest I've ever caught(& I'm counting it as a catch N release) and we both guessed it was at LEAST 20 lbs. Big Fat fish. Would have been a gorgeous mount or picture. The colors were clear, white was white, and green was green.

I'm still pissed about it.

Haven't been up in the metro for about 2 weeks. The pheasant hunting is excellent down here.
Have fun boys.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

med man
Ill drop it off hopefully just before that. Otherwise I'll leave it in the door or something.

Sandman-good to see you are still kickin it . Sounds to me like you are enjoying living the life of liesure. Keep it up for those of us who cant :+) I'm jealous