• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
united jigsticker

Medicine Lake

united jigsticker

Enjoy!

EBass

Well we got it to 300 posts! I was wondering where the cut off would be. I'm going to try to get out ther tonight. Key word there is try.

Bill-E-Bazz

At least I wasn't skunked. I think that at least 2 of them were 13 or 14.... well maybe not, was a good night kept somewhat busy. Later

------------------

MedicineMan

I guess I should of been a little more clear on what I was trying to say. I have nothing against people who want to cast or still fish or anything. I do whatever it takes to catch fish. That being drifting, trolling, still fishing, casting whatever. My beef are with people who hog an area. If they want to work the drop off of the reef; good go ahead. But what I do is find a way that takes up the least amount of space on the island. Usually when I cast arcoss an island I sit on the deep edge and I cast across. That way at least other fisherman can fish on top or the other side of the island. What bugs me is when you have some guy that pulls up within 10 feet of you and sits right on top of it, and doesn't really give anybody else the opportunity to fish that area. I beleive that the lake is there for everyone to fish, and that sometimes some people seem to forget that.

Mark Christianson

Med Man,
2 totally different issues.
1. "Hogging" a spot
2. Someone coming in AFTER you are on a spot and crowding you

Sometimes you have to "Hog" a spot. Some of those islands are not very big, and in order to cover the entire island quickly, getting on top of it and fan casting around it makes quick work of the spot. It aint hogging the spot.

Now, if you have the spot, and someone comes withing 10 feet of you as you suggest, then I have a problem with that. There is etiquette on the water to a degree.

Hoggin' is tough to argue since direction of the bait coming across a given structure, may entail being on top of an island and coming up the break, versus camping outside and casting up on top, and bringing to to the deep side.

moby1

I am just glad to get out when I can. I don't mind being crowded by fellow fm'ers. Heck I'll even invite em on over. Anyone else who crowds me better hope they have an older boat in case my boating control skills fail. Those small breezez can really move my tiny boat :+)
Trailer bearings still out. A guy at an unnamed hydraulic store assured me today of what he pointed out was what I was looking for. I even brought in the old asembly. Got it home and I need 1/16th" bigger. Tomorrow I hope to get it together.
Good Luck

Tim L

moby1 don't forget to replace the grease seal. as long as you got it all tore apart if you got any problems give me a holler. got a good boat and marine store right down the street they'll have what your lookin for. don't worry about being out of commission . if you need to use my boat your more than welcome too.

EBass

I went to lake Sara last night and not much cooking in my boat. Only four small bass and I got broke off by something under a dock. That's twice in two days. I will be getting stronger lb test this weekend.

Anyone been out there lately?

sandman469ss

Went out to Eagle last night with Giant_Jack.
Got skunked.

EB, if you want to try a new line, I'm using Power Pro and like it better than anything else I've tried. It's a braided line and I'm using the 30lb test that's an 8lb diameter.
I have a friend that tried it and loves it too.

Bill-E-Bazz

I'v got PP on my rods and I think it's pretty good. Ebass needs cable line for the break offs he's had!!!! HA HA!!!!

EBass

I have PP on one of my rods. I'm going to be switching to that brand on most if not all my rods. I love that stuff to. Way better than Fireline. And I used to love Fireline. Used to.

sandman469ss

Or he just needs to stop trying to catch dock tires. grin.gif

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

catchin'whopper

have you guys been fishing medicine at all?

EBass

I haven't been out there for over a week or so. Can't tonight either. The thing that sucks is you need to be off the lake at sunset. What the heck? At least make it 10PM. Sunset is prime time. So since the sun sets around 8:30 now I've been going to lakes that have no curfew so I can get 3-4 hours of fishing in on a workday. I might try early Sat morning.

sandman469ss

What do they do if your not out of there by then. I've been out a couple times after sunset and haven't had any problems. Maybe you just can't enter the park after sunset.
What do they do with the people camping, lock them in/out at that time?

moby1

I have heard of people getting tickets early and some who stay late not getting tickets as well. I have on occassion seen the park police sitting at the launch waiting for the last trailer to leave. Camping??? No camping anywhere I know of on Med.
Skunked on fish lake last night.

EBass

My buddy got a warning from the park police about being off by sunset (while getting my truck). This was when the water was high and no wake was in effect. Well, dang it when I go 5 MPH it takes awhile to get anywhere, while the "locals" water ski and tube all over.

In anycase I think all of the three rivers parks is off by sunset.

sandman469ss

Guess I was thinking of the Camping at Independance.
What happened to the fish. Didn't get skunked on Eagle last night, but **** close.
Maybe I need to take up MedMan's trolling technique.

bass-o-matic

Sandman,
Let me know how you get that Ranger to idle down that much to troll! I still haven't made it out there yet this summer!!

moby1

Sandman
"didn't get skunked but almost" just doesn't cut it:+). What DID u get? Since I know you fish skies I was hopeing you got one of those but assume your post would've said much more. Help those of us who did get skunked.

EBass

When the lakes are slow the rivers are hot and vice versa. Well I heard that somewhere. I think Bill Dance said it. Oh well I haven't been out since Wed and it wasn't pretty. Time for kitty action!

MedicineMan

I was out yesterday and I did fairly well. I caught 14 bass, smallest one was 3 pounds largest was 21 1/2 inches. Caught all of them between noon and 2 o'clock. Fishing isn't harder this time of year, the fish just changed patterns.

MedicineMan

Moby, the key to finding fish is locating the forage. Fish have to eat, so they're gonna be around the food. The biggest factor in the forage movement is the time of day. Secondly, it's not so much that the fish are looking for darker water, but cooler water. Right now the fish are either under thick cover or in open water. After 4-5 days of hot stable weather. Windy day are great for fishing. Because the waves break up sunlight, add oxygen to the water, and baitfish tend to feed in open water during these times. Some of the best fishing I've ever had were on windy days. They way to fish on a windy day is to drift along a weedline or across an island. It gives a very natural presentation. Use a small spinner with a leech, or a beetle spin with a power grub works very well too. The most important thing you can do when it comes to finding fish is to watch your depth finder.

moby1

out this morning 5:30-9:30. One 11" bass, 18" nort, and a 10" white crappie (pretty skinny) that bit on a 3-3.5" rapala tail dancer. Time to try some different areas. Med Man (or anyone else with a clue) do the fish go deeper to darker water when it is hot or do they go to the shade of the weeds? Glad to hear you did so well.
Good Luck

moby1

Thanks Med Man. Hopefully I can get out this week and give some things a try. I'm going to do some river fishing this morning.
Good Luck

sandman469ss

Moby, just one itty bitty bass that hit the lure as it dropped off a dock.

bass-o, to troll with the big motor, I just pull 3 of the plug wires, and that gives me a 28 3/4hp. perfect for trolling. grin.gif Actually, just putting it in gear is just a skosh too slow, about the same as putting the troller on high.

Fished Eagle Saturday 5am - 6:30am, had one ski surface around the boat 4 times, but wouldn't bite. Hit Cokato 8am, 5 norts, 3 buckets, but no smallies. frown.gif

May have to try & hit Med one night this week. Trying to get outside house projects done before the snow flies, so taking some time off from fishing. Heading up N again for the wknd. I WILL get to Winnie & Leech, & possibly Red this time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 08-18-2003).]

EBass

Going to Med tonight. It's been a while. I'll report tomorrow.

Sat eve I hit up Minnewashta. I got a 19" 17" and 14" bass (tubes) along with a 4lb northern (topwater froggie). Nice night to be out.

Bill-E-Bazz

Yeah it's a nice night out to be sweating our arses off. It is pretty warm out there!! Hopefully it won't hinder fishing tonight.

sandman469ss

Out last night and my arse is a little smaller from the heat shrinkage.
Was twitchin a frog on the pads, and pulled it off the edge and started lighting a smoke, just as the thought ran through my head about something hitting the frog sitting there, WHAM! A monster came out of nowhere and scared the livin crap outta me. If he'd have been going the other direction, he'd have hit the windshield and ended up on the floor of the boat. Needless to say, my hookset was lacking, and he was gone after a 3 second fight. Pulled another that was around 4lbs which went back, and a 2-13 that ended up as supper. Thought he was only 1-1.5, but it was kinda dark when he hit.

Ebass, you seemed kinda surprised that I was going to eat that one. Do you release all yours?

------------------

Giant_Jackpot

Sandman,

You are supposed to carve out the cheek meet and then put them back. The cheek meat grows back you know grin.gif