• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

united jigsticker

I'm hoping to get mine off Winnie or Leech tomorrow. I'm about done with open water. Too many things to shoot. Nice how it goes from open water, to waterfowl/upland hunting, to deer, to ice fishing. No wonder I never get anything done around the house. Lucky I'm not married. grin.gif

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• moby1

• EBass

• local boy

Sandman,
You forgot the bear, THEN birds, deer, ice fishing. Then open water walleyes on the river in March and turkey hunting in April and May, and the next thing you know, open water season is starting already. At least that's my schedule, and my wife is pretty used to it by now! And no, not too much gets done around the house in the fall!!

Med man,

You do realize you can rewind the film at any point in the roll? Personally, if I had pics of a 42 in pike off of Medicine I would have had them developed the same day and the pics would have been sent to the Outdoor News. And since I only use Rapalas, I would have entered the big fish contest. But that's just me............

Went out saturday morning 5:30-9 or so. It was pretty rough out in the lake and just too windy to work the weedlines in the bay. I'm too lazy to climb over the benches and throw the anchor every few minutes and have a transom trolling motor. Got 2 small bass. I did have the whole lake to myself though:+)) there was one boat putting in when I was coming off. I have to get out of the early early morning mode since it doesnt get light.

Went back out to give it a shot before the vikes today. Went at 8, got a migrane and left the lake at 10:30 with no fish caught. It was so bad I couldnt even watch the vikes.

I know that I can rewind that film at any point. But the first few pictures on that roll are of that pike. I'm not going to waste the 30 extra pics on that roll. That just me, I don't like to waste things....
Maybe I could send Berkeley a picture of that pike and mabye they could give me something.... like the lure that pike took from me. That bugs me, Berkley doesn't make the Frenzy Deep Mag Diver in Perch anymore. frown.gif I use to kill pike with that lure.

It was a bad weekend for me to Moby, shoot me an email. You going out this weekend? I guess staying in the metro or heading up nort?

anyone know why med is sooo low at the launch? Seems like its gone down quite a bit since last week even. Anyone?anyone? Med man?

Moby, I haven't been out in some time. I'm going to try to get out this weekend. It looks like it's going to be fairly nice on saturday. As for the water, Medicine has been low most of the summer as we all know. Almost all the rain he have had has soaked into the ground, so you have very little runoff. And with the rain that does go into Medicine, it will just evaporates over time. For that water to get back to "normal" lake leves. We're going to need a good 8 inches of down poor type of rain.

I saw someone wadding the eastern shore last night on my way home from work. Was it any FM'ers? Any luck?

Didn't make it out yesterday, but I am going out tuesday. I found out that the DNR are going to do fish survey's next week. And also, the DNR stocked Medicine with 36,000 walleye fingerlings.

How is the at the boat landing is there enough water to launch your boat?
Was out to Spring lake yesterday for the first time, man sure had a hard time getting the boat off and on the trailer.
It looks like the water is down 6 to 8 feet.
We did get some nice crappies up in the Northwest corner in 12 to 8 feet of water.
Using a Jig and wax worms right on the bottom, and drifting.

Step&1/2
Was pretty low last weekend. Depends on how big your boat is and if you want to get in the water and walk it out. Small - medium size you should be able to get in fine.

Med Man. Hope to see u out there tuesday. I'll do my best to jet up there right after work (around 3:30). I do havve a question for you. When u troll around the humps or wherever. do you go with the electric motor or the gas. Do you find a depth at which it makes a differnenc? Is this the time of year to switch to live bait or stay with the artificial? Hope 2 c u there unless it gets too windy for my little dingy:+) Let me know if anything changes- [email protected]

Moby, I always use my electric when trolling, unless the battery runs low. You can still use artificial, but use lures that look natural. Minnows would be the main source of food for fish right now. I've noticed that the longer crankbaits with a wide wooble do the best. Power Bait Crawfish also work well when thrown on the rocks. Frogs still work, but only around wintering areas. Such as, creek mouths with a soft bottom, for example the mouth of Plymouth Creek. I went stopped at West Medicine Lake Park yesterday, and I noticed that almost all the weeds are dead, so I would stay away from the weeds. I would focus on fallen timber, rocks, and reeds, the reeds the the only weeds left that haven't died. The reeds are fairly hardy. Islands that have sharp breaks that lead into the deepest water are spots that you want to check out.

Thanks Moby 1 for the info on Medicine. It looks like I'll have to pass and head out to a different lake. With no rain and low water it looks like I'll have to pass on some of the smaller lakes.

med man- what is your suggestion for rigging crawfish or minnow type baits (plastics)? Also if using cranks, what depth is best to target as there are so many variations of cranks.
FYI- I believe today is the last day of sale at gander mt. in burnsville. Everything is 30-70% off. Was there yesterday and the selection is dwindling but lots and lots of plastics and cranks.

Med Man how did you and (I assume) your dad do tonight? I didnt catch squat until you guys were about 1/4 mile away going in. At first I thought it was weeds but ended up being what I have been after for 2 years, a FAT eye. I tried to wave you down to see if you could take a pic for me but you were too far away. There was a pontoon that was in the area and saw and asked if they could come take a look. I told them as long as they would take a pic for me. Not a big deal to most but I have only caught a few ever- in the river, once at millelacs, and one small one on Eagle in Maple Grove last winter. Thanks for the tips. Right after the eye I got a 30" nort as well then unfortunatley it was time to get off the lake.

Yeah, that was my father. Fishing would be great for 20 minutes, then nothing for an hour. Then we would catch 6 fish in 10 minutes, then nothing for an hour. It was really on/off. I too caught a walleye today. I caught it in the same place you were. Mine measured 15 inches. I saw a school of walleyes on the island earlier in the day. Speaking of that. I brought one of our vcr's on the boat today so I could use it with the aqua-vu. I ended up recording a little over 2 hours worth of underwater goodness. I covered 4 of the islands. The fish I saw were, suckers, bass, walleye, northerns, bullhead, crappies, sunnies, creek chub, and some other species. If anyone would like a copy of the video I'd be more than happy to make a copy.

Med man I would definitley like to at least see the video. I can get a tape to you whenever and you can copy at your convenience. I was marking quite a few fish as well. The eye i caught was 26" and fat (and still swimming in the lake for another day). The picture is in the first part of the camera so it'll probably be a while before it gets developed.

Nice walter Moby! I'd like to see the tape, but don't really need a copy, is it narrated by Medman?

Moby, that was a big ol' fat female you had there. You may of not caught many fish, but in my opinion that walleye would've been worth the trip. About the tape.... I'm going to make a couple of copies tomorrow. I'm going to busy friday, but I'm going to be home this weekend. If you want to stop by this weekend and pick up a copy you're more than welcome. Ebass, I narrated it in a way... But I'm going type up something a little more specific than what I show on the video. The sheet will tell you what Island I'm on, what depth I start at, what direction I'm heading, and so on.

Med man. I dont know if I will be around this weekend yet or not but if so will be on med a couple of times. You can get a hold of me at [email protected] or give me a shout at 763-424-9136 and we will hook up for the video.
Thanks again for the tips:+)

Moby, you've got mail....

Oh yeah, I sent in my film yesterday. So The pictures should be devoloped by Monday.

MedMan you are DaMan!!! This is awesome! Do you ice fish out there to? Look at those nice rocks n sand. Nice walter peaking at the camera. Say Cheese!

It would be cool to see a school of suspended craps.

Ever put that camera on a pole and look under the lily pads, or docks? That would be cool on the big log jams on the rivers. Big ol Flathead trying to eat the camera. LOL.

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 10-15-2003).]

EBass, I sometimes ice fish Medicine. I'm gonna try to fish it more this winter. I caught 6 eye's on camera, but I only got a good shot at 2 of them. I've thought about looking under docks and pads and such, but it's too much hassel for my liking. I've actually had a Northern attack my camera once. Left deep cuts in the rubber around the camera. It also bite through the kevlar right to the wire. I had to use an epoxy in some parts the to fix the cuts.

Med man
Enjoyed the video. Think I got the water intake issue resolved. I went to med and tested it out on Wednesday after work. Hit my first spot for about 20 minutes and decided to move. Yanked the motor over and the recoil seemed to take a dump. Couldnt get it figured out. I was at the south end and the wind was coming north - south. Figured I best make sure I was going to make it back. It took me a little over an hour to get to the launch and a couple of times I thought I wasnt going to make it. Not another soul on the lake to give a hand so good thing I made it. Wrenched last night and think shes fixed now.

One of the fish looks like a sucker minnow. Well a big sucker minnow. It could be a waldo, but I can't tell.

One other pic has like three bass hanging out. Way cool! GPS Coordinates please. Just kidding. They are out there, just got the find them. I'm in river mode now though.