• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

united jigsticker

didnt make it today. decided to do some river fishing instead. In 5 hours caught 15 or 16 eyes/sauger, 6 or 7 stripers, 6 or 7 mooneyes, and had one gar about 24" up to the boat before he jumped and let go. Good times were had by all. Oh yeah lost 3???? In the river ya never know what it was... big cat, carp, sheephead, eye..etc. Makes it interesting. Be out grousing tomorrow

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• moby1

• EBass

• local boy

I went out with my fishing bud early this past Sat morning. There was a few boats out that early. (6AM)

Anyways, didn't get a bite for the first hour. (Bass must've been sleeping in) Then I got a 17", and some 15"ers. My buddy caught a 18" and then I caught a one that was a little over 21". Just a fat pig. Gotta love it. (No pic as my camera is shot)

Spinner baits were the ticket for us that day.

My buddy also had a dog fish that was huge. It came off, but he had it to the surface a couple of times. I think it was around 36"!!

It was a nice morning to be out. Missed ya Moby

I have my last club tourney of the year coming up on Sun. out on Medicine. Not sure if I'll make it out this week or not, so I guess I'll have to read the threads to help me decide where to go. Haven't been on the lake in over a year, so hopefully things haven't changed too much. Any hints, tips, suggestions would be appreciated.

The biggest influence on fishing will be the weather. Since we can't see that far into the future, I don't know what to tell you.

Hey boys!
Remember those sand pits back at my parents I was telling you about earlier in this forum. Remember I said I knew there was a state record in there.
Well, I was back this wknd goose hunting. One of the locals was there fishing one pond from about 8am til 6pm.
He showed me a bass that measured 25 1/2 inches lip to tail. It had one side of it's lip/face recently taken off by something, which I'm assuming was why he was very skinny. If he'd been eating properly like the others I've caught out there, it would have been a winner for sure. What a Monster!
I may have to fish this wknd instead of hunt. grin.gif

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

heading to med tonight. Looks like will have to be out extra early to beat the club tourney out there mentioned by bassomatic on sunday:+) How many are in the tourney??

Time sure can change things. I went back to the area that I caught my piggie. All I could muster up was small pike and one pike took my favorite spinnerbait. frown.gif

Bill-e-bazz got some small bass to. Not much of anything going on for my boat.

Not a big tourney, only 4-5 boats, depending on a couple of guys schedules. The forecast doesn't sound too promising for fishing, but I'm sure that will change between now and then. Must be nice to have job security even when you are wrong at it most of the time!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,

I was out on Med today, and lets just say it was a tad breezy. I'm bouncing up and down as we speak. But I've always had great luck when it's been real windy, and today was the same. I was speed drifting across the islands this afternoon and I nailed 12 norntherns, all between 30-36 inches. A few 4-5 pound bass, and a couple of walleye's.

My best guess on the lip would be a snapper or nort. Or it's been caught before and someone ripped it's lip off getting the lure out. The lip was totally gone on one side and starting to heal. Where it was missing was smooth and rounded off, so I don't know.

------------------

I was tempted yesterday. Drove to the launch and had to reconsider. Looked like 18" whitecaps. The 12" shallow wide lund doesnt handle those too well. There were 2 other trailers at the launch. I drove up to eagle on the way home after that and it didnt look too bad. Trolled the east shorline twice and headed over to the canal on the north end. It goot soo windy I couldnt navigate in the canal so decided to head home. It took over 1/2 hour to get to the landing. I was soaked and twice on the way I thought the she was going down. Waves started coming over the side :+(( Was home by 6 and caught no fish.

Moby,

biglakeba$$ has not been out of his bedroom since he made that sappy post about the ultimate tool for the hunting/fishing arsenal (see the open water main forum).

Med Man,

Where are the pics of that 42 inch pike? I'm starting to wonder..................

Went out yesterday morning. Got there as the first boat for the small tourney was pulling in. I ended up with 3 norts around 30" and 5 bass between 16 and 19". Hitting the river this morning for eyes. Popper skum frog was the ticket back in the pads. At one point there were so many big fish feeding that it sounded like someone launched 10 bowling balls in the water. Never seen anything like it.
Coworkers motor locked up on him last week. Anyone know of any 60horse outboards out there for sale? Prefer evinrude or johnson.

The walleye's I caught measured 10inches and 13 inches. Not very big, but it shows that the walleye's the DNR have been stocking are taking hold and showing good growth. Secondly, the pictures of that pike are still in the camera in the top of my tackle box. I've still got 5 pictures left on that roll.

Hey MedMan,

Per Belinda Jensen Kare 11 news last night. Lakes don't turn over until the water temp is 39 degrees. At 39 degrees water is the most dense.

So Medicine hasn't turned over - just a FYI

E-bass,
I wouldn't take anything Belinda says as gospel. Personally, I don't listen to a word she says after I heard her on the radio one morning saying there were 8 continents and the radio station had a 9 year old kid call in and have to correct her!

I think yesterday was the first time I had EVER been on Medicine lake and didn't see a waterskier! I love fall......

Turnover really depends on the lake itself. You have to look at the surface to volume ratio. A lake that is large and shallow will turn over faster that a lake that is large and deep. Some lakes don't even have a thermocline, such an example Lake Mille Lacs. Medicine's thermocline starts off at 20 feet in early summer and by the end of summer its around 30 feet. At 35 feet the water temp on Medicine is usually between 65-68 degrees. The thermocline is usually 10-15 feet thick. And the temp within the thermocline usually drops 15 degrees. So the "hypolimnion" which is the bottom layer of water, is usually 55 degrees right at the bottom of the thermocline. The water temp drops at a slow rate below the thermocline. So the water in Medicine turn over fairly early because the majority of the water in Medicine is less than 40 feet.

Hmm, maybe there's a website that can confirm this 39 degree theory.

Ok, I found a website ok a lot of them. Can't copy and paste it(copy right gods will get me, but I found some info)

In the fall when the temp (I believe it's surface temp, but they said "surtaet" which isn't a word according to spell check)is 50 degrees the water begins to mix up. It's a process of a lot of factors, wind, air, temp, sun exposure, etc..

Looks like you're right Medman, my bad.

Belinda is right about water being most dense at 39 degrees.

In the spring when the surface temps reach 39 degrees it falls and the cooler water comes up. I'm still kinda confused about that, but not as much. I wish I could copy and paste the whole article.

Any ways, how did you do Bass-o-matic?

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 09-22-2003).]

Once again amazed by the wizard, oh i mean medicine man. He comes through not only with the answer but the reason as well. :+))
Just read on the tonka thread that a guy pulled a couple of eyes out from under docks yesterday bass fishing. Has anyone else ever encountered this? What a nice bonus!

E-bass,
We only had 4 fish, so it wasn't enough to win. However we did have 4 nice fish that weighed 10.04 and ended up winning big bass with a 4.24lber. Winning boat had 9 fish that weighed 17.36lbs. Oh well, always next year!

I think he does work for the water district or watershed or something along those lines. Sorry Med man I cant remember what you told me. For me med has been mostly hit. Not for big fish necessarily but usually can find a couplr fish. Ebass you just need to get up earlier :+))

I do volunteer work for Bassett Creek Water Management Commission (BCWMC). I also do some stuff for the DNR and the City of Plymouth. The trick to fishing right now is forage. Remember, the fish are free to roam anywhere the want to. So this is really where your knowledge of fish comes into play. In the fall, fish tend to hang out near sharp breaks. Because with the water cooling fish don't want to use too much energy catching prey. So the predators tend to wait on the edge and when a perch or something comes off the edge all the predator has to do is go up and get it.

For me Medicine has been a hit or miss lake. Weather plays a major role from what I've seen. That's a dandy bass 4.2 - SUEY!

Last day of work(ok, I haven't actually worked for 5 months), but tomorrow the fun begins after my exit interview and a trip to the bank with a FAT check. Heading up to Winnie for the wknd. Anyone been up lately?

Hey moby, How's the grouse been? I have the first part of next week open, for anything, if someone has the day off. I'd be up for some river smallies or whatever.

------------------

Sandman
Got up 6 or 7 birds but didnt see them all with so many leaves. I did come home with 2 in the bag, one of which I shot. May be heading out to Tonka for skies tonight with a couple of coworkers and Med tomorrow morning if I dont end up going to work on the cabin. My coworker went out skie hunting on Tonka for the first time last week with his neighbor. They had 6 follows in two hours and he caught a 36" and has the fever now. Not bad for his first time out!
OHHH how I love this weather!