• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Senior Wellness Workup - Needed ?

settersit

Ok, here's the deal, I get a letter from my vet, who I respect, that my 9 year old setter should participate in this evaluation, of senior dogs in hopes that any problems that show up now can be addressed to extend hunting life and or life in general. It cost $175 and includeds blood chemistry, thyroid, heartworm, blood count, and urinalysis. There are no problems with the dog now and she has been healthy all her life. Should a do it once, get a base line, and mayby every other year, forget it and monitor her health every year by a her regular vet visit. I'm just wondering if others have found a benefit from this program or is it a scam to fleece money from people who care about their dogs. Believe me, I'd do anything to protect the health of the best dog I've ever had, but as I well know, you can't reverse ageing, and while she's the best hunting dog I,ve ever owned, I feel this could be a "rip-off" preying on the emotions of loving animal owners. For what it is worth, my vet has joined this VCA association that smacks to me of institusional medical care, for a certain percentage profit.