• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, I thought I would start a new threat for the trout diehards this week.

I woke up this morning and it was -26 below with the wind blowing and a wind chill of -42 below so I just rolled over and went back to sleep. I ventured out to my fish shack on Shagawa yesterday afternoon and it was almost unbearable then at -7 below with that wind. The four-wheeler didn't want to start too easy last night either, so I figured it would be one frustration after another out there in the cold today, so I am staying home. I know, I know...I was all gung-ho earlier, now I am a wimp- yup, I know. Did anyone venture out this weekend????

Justin

Maybe tomorrow.

You should have labeled this thread "cold reports," since you didn't actually do any trout fishing. grin.gif

i got up walked out side and went back to bed lol way to cold. and my truck wouldnt start very well. went a couple days ago and cought some rainbows.

hay: jig man here, what would you guys suggest for a jig selection and as far as line what pound test and braid or mono,Im waiting for my Jason Mitchell rod ordered it on wed. i have a abu 6500 two speed but think its two big would like two get something smaller but i really like the clicker for the drag any suggestions. thanks good fishin Carl

I made it a point to get some things done around the yard, made a dump trip and replenished my bird seed supply. That said, that northwest wind coming across the lake hitting me in the face told me watching a movie with the wife in front of the fireplace this afternoon was gonna be the best place to be. Also is a chance to bank some wife credits against the next nice weekend.

Whatever happened to carefree and adventuresome (meaning heading out even if it was -30)? Lost that somewhere I guess.

Jigman, there's a thread right here on this board that's been discussing winter inland laker tackle and techniques, and there's a lot of great info there on rods, reels, line, etc., from a bunch of different guys. It's a great place to start.

Look here.

Finnbay's got it right: Wife credits... grin.gif

And yup, cold report. Glad weekend plans turned out this way. Next weekend....next weekend....next w.................. sleep.gif

I went fishing today. It is NE Minnesota, I can't let a little chill stop me ;\)grin.gif

First I had to Jerry rig the throttle on my auger after last weekend's little mishap. Finished that and I was good to go.

I drove up to Snowbank where Smitty has a freeway plowed out to center island. I drove a little further and set up near Harry's Island. There were a few small slush pockets. I measured 14" of ice. I caught one decent fish (about 5 lbs.) and had a lot of lookers that I just couldn't convince they were either hungry enough or mad enough to hit my lures. I caught the one fish on a black/purple Slender Spoon that I won two years ago at the Burntside Bash (thanks Chunky and STF!). I was in my Otter Den with the sunflower heater going so I stayed comfortable. In a moment of better judgement I decided not to put out a tip-up, it was just a little too windy.

I think I might go out again tomorrow.

Casey, I'm planning a Bside trip tomorrow, too. Like you, I'll bring a tip-up but may not put it out. However, the wind is supposed to be a bit lighter tomorrow.

Glad to see you got a trout. That's a great Slender color pattern, by the way. grin.gif

I am taking tomorrow off too-the heck with it. It's supposed to be -30 below tonight and more wind again. I have been going at it hard core everyday for over a month now so taking 2 days off in this cold isn't a big deal. I am starting to chomp at the bit and I'm really anxious to get back out there and start pounding on some more lakers.

Did you guys see that our posts and fishingminnesota.com have been the subject of Nick Wognum's column "Hook and Bullet Club" this week in the Echo? He was giving the fishing report based on what we have been posting here the last week and he also put some of our posts right in his column for people to read. Also, My fishing partner and co-worker Justin Vanderhei a.k.a. "Justin #2" was pictured in the Timberjay reeling in a Rainbow out on Miners. Yeah, I have been catching up on the reading today, that's for sure!!!

I'm planning on heading out on Monday morning. I don't think I can stand another day of no fishing. Coffee as usual tomorrow, G.O.??

Good luck to the brave ones tomorrow!

Justin

I'm not surprised our reports are making their way into the papers. We're the ones out there day in and day out, and it saves an awful lot of calling around when you're a newspaper reporter trying to get a sense of what's biting and where.

I'm new to the site, but have followed the forums for a while.

I fished Burntside with a buddy on Friday and Saturday. Brrrrr.

We caught one laker Friday (3 lbs.) and on Saturday, hooked 4, caught 2 (a 2 lber and a 5 lber). All were caught jigging, none on the tipups.

Hey Harbi:

Welcome to HSO/FM. Great to see you here! grin.gif

Considering the days you fished and what you caught, I think I either have been exchanging e-mails with you or you are the buddy of the fellow I'm e-mailing. Yes?

Great to hear of your success. Bside is a great fishery. grin.gifgrin.gif

Right you are STF grin.gif. You have been emailing the buddy I went with. Can't thank you enough for the info. We had some great success Saturday morning. The fish in my avatar is from Saturday morning.

One Question: If you are on a great spot with action in the morning, but the spot "drys up" by noon, is it best to move or wait for a potential evening bite.

Thanks again.

Harbi:

I've found lakers most active during the morning, though of course you can catch them in the p.m., too. So if I'm on a good location I just stay there unless I feel like moving around and exploring.

I also believe lakers travel quite a bit. That's why you'll generally find me in 40 to 60 FOW on main lake structure or along the outer edges of bays instead of back inside bays. I'm not saying that there aren't lakers in those smaller bays, because there sure are, just that I think the odds are better along what I believe are the routes lakers travel.

As far as an evening bite goes, I've never found one for Burntside lakers, either winter or summer. I've caught some lakers at dusk, but it's not like the typical dawn and dusk walleye pattern.

I just got in the door from B-Side. Got a later start today because of the cold. I landed one around 5-6 Lbs. at around 3 pm. Not a whole lot of action today. Had a few chasers and one other hit, but that was about it. Back at it again tomorrow!!!

Justin

Casey, you're not kidding about Smitty having a "freeway" plowed on Snowbank. My son and I rented one of their heated ice houses Saturday and Sunday and I was amazed and the width of the road they had plowed out there. As far as the fishing goes, we also had a lot of lookers but they didn't seem to get angry enough to hit the lure. I worked one trout up and down the water column for about 5 minutes while my son dangled his lure motionless at 30 feet waiting for me to hook the trout. Apparently the trout gave up attaching my lure and decided to hit my son's - he was pretty surprised when his rod suddenly bent over! Anyway, he ended up getting his first laker through the ice with the bonus of knowing he had managed to "steal" one from me.

Originally Posted By: finnbay
hitting me in the face told me watching a movie with the wife in front of the fireplace this afternoon was gonna be the best place to be. Also is a chance to bank some wife credits against the next nice weekend.

Whatever happened to carefree and adventuresome (meaning heading out even if it was -30)? Lost that somewhere I guess.

amen brother

LET THE BROTHERS SAY AMEN!

Originally Posted By: zappy
I worked one trout up and down the water column for about 5 minutes while my son dangled his lure motionless at 30 feet waiting for me to hook the trout. Apparently the trout gave up attaching my lure and decided to hit my son's - he was pretty surprised when his rod suddenly bent over! Anyway, he ended up getting his first laker through the ice with the bonus of knowing he had managed to "steal" one from me.

That pretty much absolutely completely totally rocks. You won't ever forget that moment and he won't either. Family values are alive. What better way to experience them?

Zappy,

That is cool. The same thing happened to me and my daughter the first time I took her out to Burntside a couple of years ago. She hasn't been out again because she is going to school in Chicago but she brings it up all the time. I was jigging when a laker came in and I was raising it up describing the action on the flasher to her when I told her that I think it the fish was headed her way. She yells back I know it is on my line. I turned and looked and her pole was bent over and the fight was on.